3d - Lack of pop out effect

Adamw59

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am new to AV forums, but am desperate to know weather i can improve my 3D viewing experience.

I currently own a 43" inch Samsung Plasma 3D TV, and am very happy with the overall depth i receive when playing one of my 3D Blu-ray movies. However when i bought my first 3D Blu-ray title ( Monsters vs Aliens ) i was very impressed with the paddleball effect in the first few minutes of the movie, where the ball comes right out of the screen and right up to your face. Since then though despite buying many more 3D Blu-rays i have not seen anything close to the quaility of the pop out effect in Monsters vs Aliens, I have even purchased some titles after reading online that they had excellent pop out such as Drive Angry, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Hugo and Sammy's Adventures: A Turtles tale, but even these despite some good effects and little bit of pop out, ultimately failed to compare with effect shown in Monsters vs Aliens.

So finally my question is - Are there any films out there with really good pop out effects that compare to the paddleball in Monsters vs Aliens, or is there a problem with my TV or settings etc.

I have listed all of my 3D blu rays below and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monsters vs Aliens
Despicable Me
Sammy's Adventures: A Turtles Tale
Knomeo and Juliet
Toy Story 3
The Adventures of Tin Tin: The Secret Of The Unicorn
Hugo
Journey 2: The Mysterious Ireland
The Three Musketeers
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Drive Angry
Ghost Rider 2
Transformers 3

Sammy's Adventures: A Turtles Tale, should have really nice pop throuhgh all movie, also check famous potato cod moment in Imax: Under the sea 3D. Its strange that pop in sammy's didnt impressed you, they are amazing pop moments in this movie. Check the whole bit when they first time going under the sea, especially when they throw crab into the camera. Funny enough that i just got monsters vs aliens 3D from lovefilm, so i gonna watch it and i will see how this pop compare to others ie Sammy's Adventures: A Turtles Tale.

Cheers, yes i was suprised i wasnt impressed as it was one of the titles that i had received great reviews on, i will watch again to see if i have missed anything but i really dont remember any pop out effects, i was also wondering if my TV displays Monsters vs Aliens better because Samsung produced the movie.

Do you know of any settings that may make a difference, as i only have one 3D setting i can change and that is the depth perception which ranges from -5 to +5.

Thanks for your reply, really want to fully enjoy my 3D experience.

Adamw59 said:
Cheers, yes i was suprised i wasnt impressed as it was one of the titles that i had received great reviews on, i will watch again to see if i have missed anything but i really dont remember any pop out effects, i was also wondering if my TV displays Monsters vs Aliens better because Samsung produced the movie.

Do you know of any settings that may make a difference, as i only have one 3D setting i can change and that is the depth perception which ranges from -5 to +5.

Thanks for your reply, really want to fully enjoy my 3D experience.

I would leave this depth options alone, because they just mess things. No pop on sammy is shock to me. I know that some peoples sometimes overexacurate 3D in some movies, saying that something was in their face when it wasnt. But sammy its different cup of tea.... it have one of the best quality pop, especially scene which i mentioned before, and its really in your face(couple of scenes), and i watched a lot of 3D. The only thing i can think of is to diseable any video optons which changes orginal quality, ie any movie smoothing or noise reductions.they just change video how was orginally ment to be, and they mess 3D even more. I dont know if is true, because i had my samsung D7000 year ago, but i heard that latest samsungs firmware updates sevirly reduced pop in their sets (for strange reason). I would check relevant topics about this.

I agree. On my Sony hx923 the pop is incredible on this film :)

I am definately going to have to re-watch this movie, but i remember being impressed with the overall picture but not the pop out, hopefully i am mistaken. As mentioned earlier i have noticed a few pop outs in Resident Evil and Drive Angry but nothing anywhere near as good as Monsters vs Aliens, hopefully there will be in the future.

Do any of you own any of the Blu-Rays i have listed on previous post, have you seen anything close to the MvA scene?

Adamw59 said:
I am definately going to have to re-watch this movie, but i remember being impressed with the overall picture but not the pop out, hopefully i am mistaken. As mentioned earlier i have noticed a few pop outs in Resident Evil and Drive Angry but nothing anywhere near as good as Monsters vs Aliens, hopefully there will be in the future.

Do any of you own any of the Blu-Rays i have listed on previous post, have you seen anything close to the MvA scene?

Apart of ghost raider 2, ive got all of these movies :) None of these have really good pop appart of Sammy, hugo and journey 2(some pop with this one, but very good 3d quality ,and 3d space). For really good pop i would reccomend, Imax: Under the sea 3D, Imax: Legends of Flight 3D, imax:Ultimate wave Thaiti, kung fu panda 2(just like journey 2, but better), avatar, sanctum, battle of warsaw 1920, imax: hubble, imax:space station, kinngdom of plants 3D, Dolphins and whales, imax: cave of forgotten dreams + some other imaxes and some ps3 games.

Last edited:
Open season surprised me!! Probably next to Sammy on the 3d scale for me. Very immersive!!

I skipped through a few scenes on Sammy's Adventures last night, including the Crab scene you mentioned and although again impressed with the depth and noticing a bit of pop out, i found this still did not compare with the paddleball scene from Monsters vs Aliens, Has anybody found anything that is as good as the paddleball scene, because for me nothing has even come close?

Adamw59 said:
I skipped through a few scenes on Sammy's Adventures last night, including the Crab scene you mentioned and although again impressed with the depth and noticing a bit of pop out, i found this still did not compare with the paddleball scene from Monsters vs Aliens, Has anybody found anything that is as good as the paddleball scene, because for me nothing has even come close?

Hmmm ive watched monsters vs aliens this morning. This scene looks amezing, and movie as a whole have realy good 3D. Strangely enough crab scene from sammy i found as good if not better than paddleball scene :/ Meybe is due to tv set or our personal persepction of 3D.

Sammy is without a doubt the best example of 3d out there imo. Have seen the paddle ball in Monsters v aliens & its impressive but for sheer quality 3d throughout the whole of the movie, Sammy wins hands down & many posters on this forum as well as other 3d forums will agree with this!!

Makes me unpatient for Sammy 2 wchich goes to cinema at the end of this year (uk begining of 2013 i think). I just have seen 3D trailer, end even with crappy quality it looked impressive.

hugoagogo69 said:
Sammy is without a doubt the best example of 3d out there imo. Have seen the paddle ball in Monsters v aliens & its impressive but for sheer quality 3d throughout the whole of the movie, Sammy wins hands down & many posters on this forum as well as other 3d forums will agree with this!!

This ^^^^^ :)

Most 3D just gives you depth really though I've seen the odd bit off pop where things appear to be away from the screen, the Olympics last night had some pop on my D6900.

By far the best I have ever seen that simply had me standing in amazement,was the potato cod on a 65" VT50.:eek:...:eek:...I need that disc!!lol

The best one I've seen is the LG demo one minute short called The Magician
He rolls up a note and projects it right out of the screen to inches from your face.
Amazing what can be done

Interesting to note that I lowered my 120 inch projector screen and oh my goodness what a difference in pop ! I dropped it to more or less mid eye level....seriously massive difference.

Most 3D just gives you depth really though I've seen the odd bit off pop where things appear to be away from the screen, the Olympics last night had some pop on my D6900.

By far the best I have ever seen that simply had me standing in amazement,was the potato cod on a 65" VT50.:eek:...:eek:...I need that disc!!lol

Strange, never noticed any pop on the olympics on my d8000, at what parts exactly?
Also the potato cod does not seem the same as it did on my st30, it comes out of the screen but not as good as it did before yet some stuff that was poor on the st30 is really good on the samsung, not sure what is going on here tbh
Without doubt the best pop out is the kid with the chainsaw in his shed, if you don't feel as though the saw is right in your face then there is defo something wrong:smashin:

Olympic opening ceremony pop out moments I noticed included the neck of one the symphony orchestra's instruments, can't remember which one, protruding from the screen and the paper "snow" falling on Team GB as they entered the arena floating into the room. Hope they show the whole thing again sometime, brilliant!

Strange, never noticed any pop on the olympics on my d8000, at what parts exactly?
I can't say I saw any either.

Nearest was in a few shots of flags flying, cameramen getting into shots by mistake plus some participants messing about.

Did anyone notice the camera error on a shot from the raised meadow towards the main arena? The camera had been placed very close to the ground which allowed a few blades of grass to protrude into view. The parallax on these was just extreme and I defy anyone to have viewed the blades of grass as a single image.

Some people see 3d better than others, I have trouble seeing 3d pops on normal films but tend to see it on cartoons sammys adventure is by far the best especially the crab scene comes right by your face.
I have also got an IMAX film deep sea I think and I can only see certain parts in that and have to really concentrate where my mates can see loads of pop out. So it may be your eyes.

Olympic opening ceremony pop out moments I noticed included the neck of one the symphony orchestra's instruments, can't remember which one, protruding from the screen and the paper "snow" falling on Team GB as they entered the arena floating into the room. Hope they show the whole thing again sometime, brilliant!

I swear we were 3 foot deep in silver stuff when teamGB came out of the tunnel, got poked in the eye by a flag bearer too :D I thought the whole thing in 3D was great :smashin:

Without doubt the best pop out is the kid with the chainsaw in his shed, if you don't feel as though the saw is right in your face then there is defo something wrong:smashin:

totally agree, best 3d effect ive ever seen

some kid in a sauna with a chainsaw puts hollywood to shame :)

My favourite has to be the potato fish - although I've only seen it on the LG demo I downloaded. My son started screaming 'I don't like fish, fish coming to get me' and threw his glasses and ran out the room! I can't seem to find the full blu-ray for a decent price.

Also downloaded the guy with the chainsaw and find the long drill bit amazing but the video makes my eyes weird as though the 3D is too strong maybe.

Just watched Saw (my first 3D blu-ray) and nothing special in this - no pop up whatsoever and found it boring.

The pop with the Olympics was the opening ceremony, the flying bikes back wheel nearly knocked me out lol.

Sammys adventure is very good, the snake was the best bit for pop, some scenes hurt my eyes though, the bit with them swimming through sea horses really messed with my eyes.:thumbsdow

The pop with the Olympics was the opening ceremony, the flying bikes back wheel nearly knocked me out lol.
That's odd, I missed that completely (perhaps during a short visit to the small room).

The bike on a wire looked very high in the arena to me so bit confused as to how they got such a close shot to produce any pop :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom