3d issue after new screen in oled55c6

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by ske911, Aug 28, 2018.

1. ske911

ske911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had the screen replaced after screen burn in my c6 August 18th 2018 .. came back and the 3d looks all blurry so contacted currys again who collected tv for investigation and they now tell me LG don't make replacement 3d screens for any tv even the oleds ?
    they offered 100 pound compensation or partial refund of the cost of the tv in vouchers.
    Is that the case that LG don't support curved or flat 3d oled screens anymore ?
    I had a 5 year warranty with the tv so im cheesed off to say the least...
    is there any difference btw a 3d screen and a 2d screen ..I thought it was hardware related ?
    Sounded lie they were just trying to fob me off...
    any advice would be id very much like some feed back especially from folk who have had 3d oled screens replaced..

2. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +784
    Correct... LG don't manufacture either anymore!

3. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sorry about your problems, would you mind telling me how you got screen burn ?
    I have a C6 also from curry’s, I hope they are offering a decent amount towards a new tv

4. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    If the 3d is just blurry, as in you're getting a lot of crosstalk.... Try altering your viewing position to see if you can find an acceptable sweet spot where it's not blurry.

Failing that, it might be where the 3d filter is misaligned.

If Curry's won't help, you could try to contact LG direct and see if they are able to fix it.

They are right that the 3d panels aren't produced anymore, but LG do still make repairs if they have posts available.

I had my main board (PCB, not panel) replaced around a month ago by LG when I was unhappy with Curry's' collection service.

Cost an arm and a leg mind you, because as far as LG are concerned, it's out of warranty.

I guess it kind of depends what the fault is, whether the filter can just be adjusted, or if it needs to be replaced and then if LG have spare parts.

One thing I will say..... Don't contact LG by email, because that's useless. Better to phone them or use their live chat when available.

The emails you will probably just get a generic reply back telling you to reset your TV etc etc.

They don't know what they're doing because they cover all of products.

If you phone or chat, you're more likely to get through to someone who will understand the issue.

5. ske911

ske911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the screen burn was only showing on red colour .. it was the virgin media menu it clearly showed when i ran WRGB screen of youtube ..then i ran a red only test..dont know how it could have happened because it has a screen saver.. but i called LG and they said it needed a panel replacement .. i think all oleds manufactured 2017 get a replacement for 5 years (mine was april 2017 even though its a 2016 model)
    Thing is i dont want a C7 or C8 i want a 3d oled curved .... so cash would be better than i can get a used C/E/G6....

6. ske911

ske911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So its the 3d filter that needs adjusting ...? i have a 2 year LG warranty but they still say they have to go thru currys

7. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Surely a five year warranty should give you a replacement if it can’t be repaired? ( you could then sell ) to get a used 3D set
    Is it worth trying the small claims court!
    I wasn’t very happy buying from curry’s as I didn’t trust the warranty as
    Much as other places , but nowhere else was selling it

8. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Without seeing the problem for myself, I don't know for certain, I'm just guessing based on the description of 3d being blurry, and going by past discussions about 3d filter alignment.

Come to think of it, I don't know if they do just adjust it, or usually replace the panel....I just remember reading about people who had 3d filter alignment problems.

But either way, your best bet if Curry's won't help is to contact LG, describe the problem and see if they can at least confirm that the issue can be repaired, even if it's at a cost to yourself.

Out of interest, how much were they offering as exchange towards another model?

I'm wondering if you might be able to pay a small amount, sell on whichever model you end up with, and put that towards getting a preowned c6, e6 or g6 for the 3d.

Maybe weigh up that option, Vs just keeping the new model and forego the 3d, Vs how much LG would charge if they can repair it.

The only other thing I can think is that if LG are saying you have to go through Curry's, but they can confirm in writing that the problem you describe to them IS repairable, then you could go back to Curry's with that and tell them to take it, and get them to contact LG to arrange the repair?

As I said, it's hard to tell without seeing the problem in person really.

Are you able to try to photograph the problem at all? Don't forget to put the glasses in front of the lens.

9. ske911

ske911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Currys wont give me a actual settlement figure until i confirm i want to right off the TV.. there is a 3D test built into the oleds which confirms ( a image ) which if is blurry asks to call LG and gives a contact number and error code...Currys still have the tv they have offer 100 pounds and the tv panel will be replaced with a 2d panel (already had one 10 days ago) or a right off then they will come back with a settlement figure which could be 800 pounds or less even in vouchers.. i dont really want to buy anything else from currys because there warrantys are useless..
    I know they stopped making 3d oleds but they must still support the legacy 3d flat and curved c/e/g6 models..

They will Give me a settlement figure a few days after i Confirm i want to right off the tv.!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  10. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Are people reading the post? They've replaced his 3D OLED screen with a non-3D one hence why 3D isn't working.

I'm not sure how a non-3d screen works in a 2016 OLED but there we go.

So Curry's repaired your screen due to screen burn. That seems lucky. LG agreed to it, it seems since it was a 2017 screen manufacture date. Mine is also May 2017 so this is encouraging should BI ever strike.

However, I think your options are limited here. Whatever you do, you won't be getting a 3d TV back. If it were me, I'd push Curry's to give you a C7/8. At least you'd have an upgrade but lose 3d.

Only way you can get 3d would be second hand 2016 OLED market. But then you run the risk of burn in on that or it developing soon after buying.....

11. ske911

ske911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thought the same.. buts its not the case next ... I may buy a bravia from the Sony shop in MK at least it will have there own 5 year warranty get me thru until next year for a 2.1 hdmi oled's to arrive

12. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    3D issues on Oled would make up for my worst nightmares!

13. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I know you said it was the Virgin media’s guide that caused the screen
    Burn , but in what circumstance? How long was the guide on screen for
    I don’t think the screen saver would start up as there is a moving TV picture in the top right usually, so it might not trigger the s/saver ?
    I only ask as I’ve also got VM

14. ske911

ske911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Turn your VM settings to low contrast and you should be fine..It only showed on Red so im not sure why it happened but it would have only been on or 1 or so remember the screen shifts as well to stop it happening..

15. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks

16. wolfie138

wolfie138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    as previously noted, how are you expecting to see a working 3D image on a 2D panel? of course you're going to see a blurry image - that's what they look like until you put the glasses on, and that's presumably what you'll see on a 2D panel anyway as it hasn't the tech to separate the images.

17. ske911

ske911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Blurry with glasses on

18. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    now I'm confused...op, are you saying that they replaced your c6 with a non 3d screen? in that case, glasses or otherwise, you won't see 3d, obviously....

if you're saying that the original screen, which was 3d, was blurry, then maybe it can be repaired.

if they replaced it with a 2d screen, what model did they send you? i.e. what tv do you have at the moment??

19. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    He's saying he had a functional 3d OLED screen. Had screen burn. Curry's repaired it (with LG's permission) by installing a new screen. Then 3d doesn't work. He contacted them and they told him it isn't a 3d screen.

Now if that is the case it is very surprising. Given I didn't think you could stick a 2017 screen in a 2016 OLED. Or do LG have generic OLED screens for repair? I'm interested to know what actual screen they have used....

20. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    thanks.

then yes, it would be interesting to know how they have repaired it, and with which panel....especially as the 2017-2018 panels aren't curved???

In that case, I'd definitely push for a newer model, rather than keep a botched c6 which has no 3d, and therefore very little resale value.

21. ske911

ske911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok fellas this is the score now.... my wife wants the curved oled back home prefers it to flat, as her brothers panasonic 2017 oled's viewing angle isn't the best.
    Called LG they gave me there parts number which is a company called Eqinox... they informed me the Original screens/panels have now been discontinued.. they now supply 3rd party panels which they could not confirm are 3D (didnt want to be on record). Called Currys they told me they have replaced the Panel again ( without informing me ) and upped there offer from £100 to £150 for the 3d issue. If i right off tv they said i could get upto the cost of the tv but prb less £1000-£1300
    vouchers - suppose i could get a C7 but my wife wants the C6 so after speaking to them again they have now offered my tv back and £200 vouchers + another maybe £50 from customer services.
    So pondering as i dont want to risk buying used and having the same issue... we have everything setup for curved and my Wife's loves it... may get lucky and find the new panel works...but i doubt it very much..

22. Laney70

Laney70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I was considering getting a 3d oled second hand but can't find one anywhere. Had an ez952b which had perfect viewing angles but vertical banding, I only use 3d on my benq projector and in all fairness it looks better on 100" than a small 65 or 77 that is better suited to gaming, footy & TV shows

23. Jay109

Jay109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The same has just happened to me. My 65c6v has screen burn, went in on Monday to have the screen replaced and returned today. No-one at Curry’s told me about the new panel being 2D only, but lol and behold, 3D no longer works. The panel doesn’t recognise 3D signals and manual switching doesn’t trigger it either...just a blurred image. I’m going to call them tomorrow to complain however I don’t want to send the TV back again, the panel itself is flawless so I’d rather keep it than they change it again for no reason and get shafted on the panel lottery. However I expect some kind of compensation for the loss of 3D from my 3D TV!!!

24. Laney70

Laney70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Forgive me but I would be furious if that happened to me. If I bought a 3d TV and its still under warranty manufacturer should give you a full refund if they cannot honour their contract as I am sure one of the main reasons for your purchase was having a 3d TV that could deal with 3d. If you are no longer bothered about 3d i would asked the the latest replacement panel as someone has quoted in here your TV will have little sell on value. How will you feel looking through the menus and it seeing 3d and you thinking "oh well that doesn't work" or advertising a 3d set that does not do 3d not to mention all the money you will have spent in 3d blurays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  25. Laney70

Laney70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    can I ask how you got the burn in or is it unavoidable even if you watch varying content.

26. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    From what I've read, burn in on oleds is different to other display types.

On other displays, burn in only happens if you display the same static image for an extended period of time.

On oleds, each pixel has a limited lifespan... displaying static images for any amount of time, reduces the ability of those pixels to display that colour at that brightness. Therefore, it's not displaying the images for a long period in one go that causes it, but instead, it is the TOTAL amount if time that they are displayed.

So if you watch a certain channel that has a logo in the same place all the time.... it's not just displaying it for x number of hours on a row..... you might have it for 10 minutes one day, 40 minutes the next day, then 10 minutes a few days later. .. it has the same effect as displaying it for 1 hour continually.

The pixels kind of "wear out"... but having static logos on the screen means that those pixels wear out either faster, or slower than the others on screen..... depending on what else is being displayed, and what the logo is?

At least, that's my understanding of it.

Having said all that....I have been using my c6 for a couple of years now, often leaving the ps4 menus on, blu ray player menus on etc..... and I don't notice anything burned in....I mean, it must have happened by now lol... but I don't go checking slides and actively looking for it.... never seen it while watching movies etc..

Maybe I'm just lucky :)

27. Jay109

Jay109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Different colours age quicker. Mine (and many here) was caused by the Yellow breaking news ticker on SkyNews, which has been constantly going virtually since the referendum result in Sky. Essentially Brexit broke my TV.

28. Laney70

Laney70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Yes indeed I imagine it would take years for them to wear out so we shouldn't worry about it to much.

29. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    LG no longer make 3D replacement screens. They do however still make 2D replacement screens for warranty purposes. This should be made clear to anybody making a warranty claim. You bought a fully functioning 3D TV. If they cannot repair to the same function as before, you should be offered a part or full refund or offered a new replacement. The problem is the retailers genuinely don't understand the problem, or they are playing dumb hoping the buyer doesn't notice (not everybody wants or uses the 3D function).

30. Jay109

Jay109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53

Exactly. I was waiting for a call to tell me that. However they fitted the 2D screen without notifying me. Anyway, Curry’s CS are horrified that it happened and have arranged for it to be returned in order to start the writeoff process which will mean an offer of a replacement being made via a voucher to the value of a comparable or better TV. I suspect they will offer the value of the LG OLED65B8, however the comparable TV to the C6 is the C8, so my expectation is for them to accede to that request. Particularly considering they did not seek my consent to do it in the first place.