3D htpc on a budget or a seperate 3D bluray player?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by drunken_prozac, Dec 29, 2011.

1. drunken_prozac

drunken_prozac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

I have been using a WDTV live for the past few years and think its time to upgrade. I have a tight budget due to the missus being in charge 'n' all.

I have been looking around the £200 Mark to start with and have been interested by the acer revo r3700 which seems to tick all the main boxes I have (small, quiet, can be used as a pc and will run xbmc). But now I am thinking about getting a 3D bluray player to go with our tv.

I have managed to squeeze £250 out of the wife but need advice if there is a way to get a HTPC which will playback 3D blurays for this price? Operating system will be windows 7 which I already have so only really needs to be the main unit and the bluray playback software.

Do i go for the acer and buy a seperate 3D blu ray player or try and build/find a 3D capable HTPC?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks Darren

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,718
    If you just want to playback 3D Blu rays, IMO a HTPC is overkill. Blu ray players are very cheap now, and would be a simple plug/play solution.

If you are looking for a hobby and to have an amazingly versatile, always upgradeable piece of kit in your system, then go for a HTPC.

Good luck!

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  3. drunken_prozac

drunken_prozac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Lisa,

I have been toying with a HTPC for a while and had my eyes on the Revo R3700 as it will play my 1080p collection and through a nice UI (XBMC)

But then I got a 3D TV :)

Was just trying to work out how much£'s and how much effort it would be to build/buy a HTPC with 3D playback built in.

If anyone knows of a cheap way to do this then great, if not then I will probably get the Revo.

Darren

4. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I thought 3D was last year's "thing" :devil:

Seriously, it's not something I've looked into, but I would have thought the video card companies should have tackled it by now. I'm sure ATI/AMD cards should be capable, probably worth checking their web site.

5. hessman

hessman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just done something similar. Having used a HTPC for the past few years with a Blu-ray drive in I've just gone and bought a stand alone Panasonic 310 Blu-ray which doesn't require the almost constant fiddling to make function properly. It seems almost new disk that comes out makes software players fall over. I would also say that the stand alone player has the edge with PQ and easier to get Dolby and DTS HD audio.

6. drunken_prozac

drunken_prozac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well I think that's done it then, r3700 & a stand alone 3D player :)

Next question, do I spend the £200 and get the 2gb RAM version with a 320gb hdd, or spend the extra £30 and get the 4gb RAM, with 500gb hdd, I'm gonna be running a 32bit win 7 so will only use about 3gb of the RAM... Hmmm, decisions decisions

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated

Darren

7. kerbys

kerbys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    My 3700 run high bitrate MKV's fine with 2GB was going to upgrade it but havent had the need.

And unless your storing all of you data on your htpc there is no point... i have a 500gb hard drive in my htpc and atm im using OPEN elec on it which uses all of 2GB of space :s

8. kerbys

kerbys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  9. drunken_prozac

drunken_prozac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    thanks Kerbys,

I was looking at the rl100 but the price is quite steep, have spotted one for £299 though.... could be a possibility
    comes with win 7 too but what about bluray software, I'm guessing it would be extra :(

will keep my eyes open though

cheers