3D htpc build with sky.....

Bruce85

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi been scratching my head for weeks now and just want to get parts in the post BUT... i think i need some help, i have been looking at other builds also assasins guide but still unsure of parts to order i will list what i think i need and would love some feedback, reccomendations (anythink i have missed ect..) if possible thanks in advance.

i want to run xbmc or alike also has to be 3d compatable mabe have sky card in there too, im not to sure on storage requirements as im thinking of a separate server build after this. the htpc is going to run my main living room ( there will be a hardwired network in house)

cpu, Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I33225 - Newegg.com

mother board, ASRock H77 Pro4-M Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

ram, G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Newegg.com

ssd, any reccomendations

power supply, ?

case, im easy on case as its going to be out of sight

is there anythink i have missed ?. this is my first build so starting from the begining, i would if possibe like to have sky running through xbmc or mp ect, is that just a case of adding a dvb-s2 tuner and card reader to above build or am i miles off

any all input would be great any, links to sites would be great as if possible id like to buy all from one place one parcle one delivery cheers.

Personally I would go for either a AMD Trinity APU, or an Intel Pentium with an ATI HD6450. The RAM you've chosen is fine and for the SSD, get any 120GB SATA3 Drive, and pair that with a normal HDD for storing your media. I can personally recommend the TBS 6981 DVB-S2 card.

If the case isn't in view, then you can get cheapo cases with included PSU for around £20 - if you want a quality PSU, then the "Bequiet!" PSU's are good value. If you buy a case without a card reader, you could easily use a £2 USB adapter off ebay.

You should easily be able to build it all for under £500.

still unsure were im heading but gonna give it a try

case, Silverstone SST-GD08B USB 3.0 HTPC Case £107

cpu, Intel Core i3 3225 Dual Core CPU (Socket 1155, 3.30GHz, 3MB Cache Ivy Bridge, 55W) £107

mb, ASRock H77 Pro4-M Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel H61, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX, Instant Boot, AsRock XFast LAN and XFast USB, AsRock APP Charger) £65

ram
G-Skill 4GB 1600MHz PC12800 DDR3 NQ Series CAS 9 Kit (2x 2GB)
£34

psu, what would you guys reccomend

ssd,
Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive £85

again what do you guys think, am i right in thinking i wont need much space as i want to store all my media ect on server once build or am i way off..??

optical drive will be bluray

remote control, was thinking ipad (is this possible with what im thinking of buying above)

have i missed anythink leads ect to stop me putting all this together when arrives, also as this is my first build if you think i should be useing this part not that part could you give me a little nudge in right direction, i just want to crack the bank card out asap :), thanks guys.

Personally I would go for either a AMD Trinity APU, or an Intel Pentium with an ATI HD6450. The RAM you've chosen is fine and for the SSD, get any 120GB SATA3 Drive, and pair that with a normal HDD for storing your media. I can personally recommend the TBS 6981 DVB-S2 card.

If the case isn't in view, then you can get cheapo cases with included PSU for around £20 - if you want a quality PSU, then the "Bequiet!" PSU's are good value. If you buy a case without a card reader, you could easily use a £2 USB adapter off ebay.

You should easily be able to build it all for under £500.

thanks space man i was typing my last post so didnt see this untill i had posted,
have you got a link to the AMD Trinity APU as im not to sure which one it is.

i was looking at the TBS 6981 DVB-S2 card and will be getting this one.

yes the case isnt in view so any would do could you reccomend one that will fit everythink in please

this is all new to me so i dont want get stuff i dont rearly need back to the drawing board i think thanks for the input :thumbsup:

A-Series Multi Core - Socket FM2 - Scan.co.uk

A6, A8, and A10 versions will all be sufficient. Many people go for the A6 in a HTPC.

Any of these cases will have plenty of space:

Value Towers - PSU Included - Scan.co.uk

I used Scan for no particular reason. It's also worth checking Ebuyer, Dabs and Amazon websites.

For remote control, the TBS 6981 comes with a remote and IR sensor. I bought a Logitech Harmony remote and programmed it to work with the TBS IR sensor.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
hi guys thanks for replys, if possible could you comment on this set up tell me what you think (all compatable ect..)

cpu, AMD A6 5400K Black Edition CPU (3.6GHZ, 1MB Cache, 2Core, HD7540D, Socket FM2, 65W, £52

mb, not sure any ideas?

ram, G-Skill 4GB 1600MHz PC12800 DDR3 NQ Series CAS 9 Kit (2x 2GB) £35

ssd, Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive £80

tuner card, TBS6981 PCI-E DVB S2 HD Dual Tuner Card £85

case, Silverstone SST-ML03B USB3.0 PC Case £60

psu, Be Quiet BQT E9-400W PC power supply 400 W £60

any input would be great if this is all ok will i need any leads ect to put together once all arrived as id like to get started asap thanks again for all your help :thumbsup:

edit: what would be a good card reader to use thanks

hi guys thanks for replys, if possible could you comment on this set up tell me what you think (all compatable ect..)

cpu, AMD A6 5400K Black Edition CPU (3.6GHZ, 1MB Cache, 2Core, HD7540D, Socket FM2, 65W, £52

mb, not sure any ideas?

ram, G-Skill 4GB 1600MHz PC12800 DDR3 NQ Series CAS 9 Kit (2x 2GB) £35

ssd, Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive £80

tuner card, TBS6981 PCI-E DVB S2 HD Dual Tuner Card £85

case, Silverstone SST-ML03B USB3.0 PC Case £60

psu, Be Quiet BQT E9-400W PC power supply 400 W £60

any input would be great if this is all ok will i need any leads ect to put together once all arrived as id like to get started asap thanks again for all your help :thumbsup:

edit: what would be a good card reader to use thanks

Hi,

looks like it should be powerful enough, however I would recommend that you get a separate 2Tb+ green drive for tv recordings, as the 120Gb SSD drive won't take long to fill, and an SSD is overkill for recordings.

Tony

Hi,

looks like it should be powerful enough, however I would recommend that you get a separate 2Tb+ green drive for tv recordings, as the 120Gb SSD drive won't take long to fill, and an SSD is overkill for recordings.

Tony

hi tony i was thinking along the lines of storing all tv recordings, movies, ect on my eventual server if thats at all possible, or would i need the 2tb drive in the htpc anyway thanks

This board should be fine - not used any fm2 boards myself yet, my htpc is still fm1

AsRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Motherboard (AMD A75 FCH, 4 x DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX, PCI Express 2.0 x16, HDMI, eSATA, USB 3.0, Socket FM2):Amazon:Computers & Accessories

That bequiet seems quite pricey is it a modular one? I use the l7 300w which I think was about £30.

my fm1 htpc pulls less than 60w, but I have no tuner or disc drive.

Should get all the cables you need with mobo, bar a HDMI cable to tv, have one of those ready, do you have an amp? If so might need an audio cable too.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
hi tony i was thinking along the lines of storing all tv recordings, movies, ect on my eventual server if thats at all possible, or would i need the 2tb drive in the htpc anyway thanks

You'll probably need seem sort of interim local storage until you get stuff on the server, maybe 1tb - depends how much you record / how often you move it to server.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom