3D glasses review/comparison (active)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by BenRC, Oct 9, 2013.

1. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Panasonic TY-ER3D5MA as supplied with the 2013 active 3d sets
    [​IMG]

3D3 universal 3D active A1112 RF glasses £39.99 (TPS.uk.com)
    [​IMG]

Xpand 105 "lite" RF model £60 (chromapure.co.uk)
    [​IMG]

All glasses tested on a panasonic 50" gt60 using 3d Cinema mode.

First thing Ive noticed about all 3 of these glasses is that the 3d perfomance is identical. Where theres crosstalk its there on all 3 glasses and the 3d effect is identical with all 3 sets too. Where the difference lies is with colour and comfort of viewing.

First the Panasonic set. These are battery powered glasses and use a little watch style battery housed in the nose bridge. Battery life seems pretty good, used them for a good 4 or 5 hours and they're still showing as full battery on the TVs indicator. They're comfortable to wear for the duration of a movie and sync with a simple press of a button. Not had any issues syncing whatsoever, first time every time.
    But I hate them. I find watching movies or Sky 3D a real annoyance. They have this huge nose piece which houses the battery and because of this the glasses are pushed away from your face resulting in a letterbox view of anything you're watching. This wouldn't be so bad but the frames are made of a thick black plastic that is possibly the most reflective substance on earth, so any light source, be it ambient light, a gap in the curtains or the light emitted from the TV itself is reflected in the frames. What you end up with is like watching TV through a rectangular keyhole with tiny shafts of reflected light bouncing of the frames, its really off-putting and the reason I went on the hunt for something better.

The 3D3 glasses were recommended by someone on here, Id not heard of them so I looked them up and found very favourable reviews. What also drew me to them was the rubberised matt finish. If you look closely at the photo of the Xpand 105s youll see a tiny crack in the middle. My 2yr old daughter got her hands on them and in seconds they were snapped in two :facepalm: well not only do they have a matt finish but they looked indestructible!
    Theyre also rechargeable through that flat little mini usb that everything seems to use these days so I can plug them into the TV/ps3 to charge.
    They came in a nice solid box which ill keep to store them (the pannys were just bubble wrapped) a cloth drawstring pouch and even a cleaning cloth (3d glasses are THE hardest things to keep clean!), a usb lead and a little instruction book.
    Sat on the sofa to open then them about 10ft away from the TV, pressed the sync button just to see if they were charged and they immediately paired with my TV showing half battery charge. Fully charged them and again, sync first time every time, but not really had them long enough to test battery life.
    These have a much smaller nose piece to although the frames are thick and the lenses about the same size they sit closer to your face so are are less obtrusive. The nose piece does come off (not sure its supposed to!) to get an even closer fit, but theyre perfectly fine as they are.
    They're also very comfortable to wear, better than the panasonic ones despite their imposing look. They dont pinch and feel very light.
    As ive said, 3d performance wise, identical to the pannys and 105s but these seem to have much richer colours, like when I add a polarising filter to my DSLR. Flicking between pairs I found these glasses showed bluer skies and greener vegetation. There was no difference in light levels as Id read in some reviews, shadows and light looked the same on all pairs. A double click of the power button switches the right and left eye (whats this for? makes things unwatchable).

The Xpand 105 lite glasses were quite expensive at £60 a pair but theyre my all round favourites to wear.
    They came in flimsy cardboard box, not really adequate for storage and were inside a foam bag. Got a usb lead and instruction manual but no cloth.
    Once again, synced straight away and have not had a single issue since. Same charger as the 3D3s (handy) and so far excellent battery life remaining at full to 3/4 for 2 weeks with light viewing.
    Theyre called lite for a reason, the frames on these are tiny and they weigh next to nothing. The nose piece is removable and let the glasses sit really close on your face. Coupled with large lenses they really fill your field of vision and gave me a far more immersive experience. They dont give the rich colours of the 3D3s but are by far the most comfortable of the 3, like wearing really light sports sunglasses.
    You can double click the power button to give you 2D, so if someone hates 3D or your eyes get tired you can switch to 2d for a while. Great feature this.
    Yeah theyre expensive but when you can blow £1k-£2k on a good TV i think its worth an extra few quid for a decent pair of specs.

Sorry for such a long post but to summarise

Panasonic -
    Comfy, decent battery life, free (effectively)
    Horrible design, too reflective.

3D3 -
    Rechargeable, best colours of the 3, Good packaging/accessories, toddler proof!
    Frames a little on the beefy side

Xpand 105s
    Rechargeable, incredibly "lite", big lenses/tiny frames.
    Not toddler proof! most expensive

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Out of the 3 which would you say would be most comfortable to wear with prescription glasses

3. NickInWiltshire

NickInWiltshire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Interesting. The 3D5s look quite different from the 3D4s of the year before. In particular they seem rather more crudely shaped. Why would Panasonic do that?

4. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Dont wear them myself, but id go for the Xpand 105s. being bigger and lighter my guess is theyd fit over your glasses better.

TPS sent me 2 sets of the 3D3s by mistake (mine or theirs, not sure lol) but im going to keep both. £5 off for buying 2 sets and theyll be good for visitors when I ebay the Pannys.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  5. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I know, theyre horrid, wanna buy 2 pairs? :laugh:

6. Member 452016

Member 452016

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Depending on your glasses prescription, 3D3 glasses can be made with prescription lenses.

Regards

Craig @ TPS

7. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Great review, thank you. Im gunna buy a pair of Xpands.

8. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Just received my 3D3 A1112 glasses and immediately bought another pair.

Have used the OOB Panny glasses but as I wear prescription glasses, I find them uncomfortable to wear - also the glossy reflective surface is dreadful. Why Panny? Why?

The 3D3 glasses are bigger, have bigger lenses, a nice Matt finish, and are so comfortable - even when worn over the top of prescription glasses.

I find that the 3D3 glasses give me a clearer, brighter, and more colourful picture that has more depth.

Need to do more testing but so far I'm finding them a 100% improvement over the free Panasonics.

9. The_Pod

The_Pod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were did you purchase yours from

10. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    TPS on ebay

11. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Bought mine from here

12. The_Pod

The_Pod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks

13. The_Pod

The_Pod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased an extra pair of 3D3 glasses via ebay from a company called
    TPS
    180-182 Stamford Street
    Ashton-Under-Lyne
    Lancashire
    England
    OL6 7LR

Good deliver and glasses work well

14. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    first pair of 3d3 glasses are malfunctioning. every 10 seconds or so theres a flash, very distracting.
    Also find myself wearing the xpand 105s more and more now, 3d viewing (for me) is far more comfortable and more immersive with these specs.

15. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I wore my Xpands last night for the first time and they kept steaming up. I had to switch to the Panasonics. Maybe I'll smear some washing up liquid on them seeing as that works with goggles etc.

Anyone store their glasses in a protective case? If so which one do you use as I'd like to get one.

Cheers.

16. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    yeah thats the downside of those xpands, they dont half get mucky easily.

17. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Whoa there! I'd advise against using washing-up liquid, unless those lenses are actually made of glass. I ruined the lenses of my normal specs (some sort of plastic/polycarbonate compound) by repeatedly using washing-up liquid to clean them - the lens surface slowly become pitted. :(

18. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks, your probably right. But we do use it on our plastic visors at work to keep them from misting up. But it could be an expensive mistake.

19. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Can anyone please inform me what type of batteries I need for my Panasonic TY-ER3D5MA glasses?

20. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    standard CR2025 battery

21. WarHog

WarHog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks

22. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    the flashing on the D3Ds seems to be a sync problem. TPS kindly messaged me straight away to help, but I've found a solution. need to switch between 100hz/120hz and back to sync them up properly