3D gaming on HDTV

floater22

Standard Member
Reaction score
What is the state of 3D gaming today?

When googling for 3D gaming I constantly stumble on the Nvidia 3D vision kit, but I'm more interested if 3d gaming is possible using a normal 3D HDTV and it's own 3d glasses? Will connecting a decent GPU via HDMI just work or is special hardware needed?

How about refresh rates? 120Hz is mentioned in the Nvidia 3D vision, but is it necessary and possible with normal hardware? Do TV's support these rates?

Any things to look for when choosing a 3D HDTV?

And of course, How is the experience? Worth it?

you can use normal tv's with their glasses, with nvidia 3d play software, its plug and play, but youre limited to 720p @ 60hz, limitation of hdmi, i'd say its worth it.

Thanks. I'll have to study that a bit more then.

I noticed that "3D 1080p video at 120 Hz" has been added to the HDMI 1.4b version, but don't know if any real device supports it.

Your best waiting until this years or next years TV's hit as they will all start using HDMI 2.0 which allows 1080p/60hz. Unless you already have a 3DTV at which point you are limited to 720p/60Hz or 1080p/24Hz. All 3DTVs refresh at 120Hz as it's needed for 3D to work so don't worry about that.

Also take into consideration that 3D at 720p/60Hz is much less taxing on a GPU than 1080p/60Hz so if you aren't intending on getting a Titan or SLI 770/780 then your best sticking with 720p.

I use Nvidia 3d vision with my Samsung plasma and it works lovelly, so long as the game is well configured for it. Tomb Raider was stunning, and still looked good even when the res was dropped to 720p.

If you want 1080p 120Hz you're gonna need a fancy PC monitor.

I use 3d vision on all my 3dtvs , samsung 46" 3dtv , lg passive 47" 3dtv and a sharp 46" aqos 3dtv and even my projector @ 60" and 84" .

You can run @ 1080p but at 24z which is not so good .

Although 720p reduces the ammound of line etc you still get some dam good gaming in 3D and to be honest the 3d takes your mind away from the fact its only 720p.

games played

resident evil 5 (excellent)
batman arkham city (excellent)
Tomb Raider (excellent and breathtaking)
Bioshock infinite (excellent)

Those are just a few :) Some other are still good but you can tell they aint designed fully for 3D gaming. :)

To be honest I am looking forward to the HD version of Oculus rift but im going to have to demo it to make sure my eyes and brain can handle it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom