3D gaming and how it could work with my setup help!

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looks like i'll be buying a new tv in the next month which will be 3d capable. As my GTX460 can also playback 3d it seems to make sense to get it going that way... but, its not quite that simple.

So at the moment I have my PC- Onkyo AVR via HDMI, the AVR then splits the picture between TV and PJ through HDMI and obviously keeps the HD audio in the process.

Now, neither my AVR or PJ is 3d capable.... so I very much doubt my AVR will be able to pass through a 3d signal untouched, so Im trying to figure a way of getting this to work.

Could I have the 460 outputting to two things simultaniously? Ie have DVI-HDMI running direct from PC to TV and have this setup as 3d- whilst at the same time having the HDMI output going from gpu to AVR- with this outputting audio and non 3d visuals? (what im getting at is ideally i wouldnt have to mess around with settings too much every time i want to watch a normal film on my pc or then play a 3d game).

Any thoughts?! or is it just going to be more hastle than its worth and I should forget 3d?

see what im trying to get at here?

What would you lose running audio over anything else than HDMI? Do you rely on HDMI for HD Audio?

I don't have my gaming pc attached to my TV but I do have a 3D blu ray player a 3D TV and a non 3D AVR. I get around it by doing this.

I have the 3D blu ray player plugged directly into the TV for 2D and 3D play back. I then send my audio over optical, since I dont benefit from HD Audio.

Is there any reason you cant do anything similar? Or would losing HD Audio affect you negatively?

You will need sli for 3d gaming. As for the receiver side of things for movies you may be lucky and your receiver may pass the 3d info through. :)

3D movies are awesome, I recently upgraded to a 3D tv and I like the effect.

You will need sli for 3d gaming.

wwwwhhaaaa?!?! I thought that was only for multi-screen 3d gaming?!

LLLAAAMMEEE

still not a biggy as long as I can get 3d movies.

Well ive googled my amp and 3d and all user responses doesnt sound too good :(

and KiteboardJim i would loose HD audio but most importantly also the ability to have my HTPC displayed on my projector. My amp switches hdmi outs for video between tv & PJ.

Sounds like i may just be better off upgrading my AVR *sigh* mo money! or just live without 3d :rolleyes:

wwwwhhaaaa?!?! I thought that was only for multi-screen 3d gaming?!

LLLAAAMMEEE

still not a biggy as long as I can get 3d movies.

I could be wrong on that but as I have SLI I thought SLI was needed for 3D gaming. I can check later for you by disabling a card. :)

One thing you may encounter on movies is lip sync issues with TMT5 and 3D blurays. You may have to use powerdvd to get round this issue. :)

As for your receiver buy a HDMI single splitter and feed both your pj and receiver with the same output on your pc. This way you wont loose the HD audio. :)

Edit: You will also need Nvidia 3dtv play which is $40 to use non nvidia specs for 3D. There is a 14 day free trial on this software. :)

ah dammit, why does TMT have to let us down like that!!!

I dont suppose I can be hopefull that XBMC Eden will have a player with built in 3d support! Ah well, if i want it i guess il just have to pay for it! It would be interesting to see if 3d will work without SLi, its not something I can find an answer for

I have an old nvidia card in my HTPC, I havent tried 3D gaming but it did let me set up 3D vision though. Not sure if that helps, unfortunately I dont have any 3D games on that machine so cant test anything. I just use XBMC and all my 3D films are SBS (not a noticeable difference between this and Full HD 3D IMO). Its only Full HD 3D your AVR cant process, SBS is fine incase you didnt know.

Hope that helps with the one card 3D gaming, if you choose 3D SBS as your output method I'm certain it will work. Splitting your signal between cards though, I'm not sure.

Grangey. said:
ah dammit, why does TMT have to let us down like that!!!

I dont suppose I can be hopefull that XBMC Eden will have a player with built in 3d support! Ah well, if i want it i guess il just have to pay for it! It would be interesting to see if 3d will work without SLi, its not something I can find an answer for

It is a shame as Tmt is my main media player on my setup. Arcsoft know about the issue and are working on a solution but haven't given a date when the patch will be released. :(

Happy to say SLI is not needed for 3D gaming. I am in the process of setting up a 3d setup for my son and it runs beautifully on his 560ti and quad core CPU.

don't need sli for 3d but will need a big graphics card if your not using sli, the av runs are prob too much just use a simple 6.1 output from soundcard to av and deal with the rest through tv. Sound is the biggest problem here imho. Once you've dealt with that you'll realise your 3d fps is rubbish. Thats cos you need graphics cards with more memory.

The only way you will be able to get 3D through the AMP if it's not 3D compatible is to send the audio separately via optical cable and the video via HDMI. This means you won't get lossless HD audio but whether that's important is down to you.

Also as Razor says you will need 3DTV Play so add that to the cost.

Also what hasn't been mentioned is that if you plan to game in 3D then on most TV's you won't get 1080p 60hz in 3D, you will have the choice of 1080p 24hz or 720p 60hz as the TV's just don't support it.

Now 720p on a big TV in my opinion doesn't look that good and gaming at 24hz is a no no unless really slow paced and even then i wouldn't. (Unless it's changed over the last year)

Films on the other hand look great but before investing i'd test to see if 3D even works for you and doesn't cause bad headaches and eye strain.

Also as above you don't need SLI.

Happy to say SLI is not needed for 3D gaming. I am in the process of setting up a 3d setup for my son and it runs beautifully on his 560ti and quad core CPU.

Cheers for confirming, I wasn't 100% sure on the SLI bit. :smashin:

Well I just ordered my new TV which should be here next Friday.

I think I have an active splitter in the loft somewhere... but Im pretty sure its only HDMI 1.3... which means apparently it will only be 1080i 3d not 1080p... anyway, il cross that bridge when I come to it. We shall see...

damn this 3d Fad... which il get suckered into more now doubt!

Congrats mate, what did you go for?

Samsung PS59D6900 :)

Gaming every now and then on the 100" PJ is fun, but I think for everyday gaming this should bring abit more to the table than my lonely little 40" at the moment :)

Still think its bloody silly I cant output video over DVI and HD Audio of HDMI- or that 1.4 splitters are still pricey :(

Nice one, I take it you got the deal thats been going about on that display. :)

I haven't looked at 1.4 splitters but it doesnt surprise me that they are taking the mickey with prices.

I am guessing you dont want to loose your HD audio for movies otherwise you would just run spdif from a sound card or mobo. Would you not be able to run one feed to pj via the receiver and the other to the 3d display in clone mode? This will give you audio to your amp from one feed and image direct to your 3d display. I am not sure how clone mode will work in gaming though. Or you could try and run a sound card as well as gpu hd audio and switch between the two. I know win7 isnt too bad with multiple sound devices. :)

Well I just ordered my new TV which should be here next Friday.

I think I have an active splitter in the loft somewhere... but Im pretty sure its only HDMI 1.3... which means apparently it will only be 1080i 3d not 1080p... anyway, il cross that bridge when I come to it. We shall see...

damn this 3d Fad... which il get suckered into more now doubt!

Congrats on the set mate and welcome to 3d gaming, just a thought about what you said in case you were hoping for 1080p 3d or perhaps i just have it wrong, you cant game in 1080p 3d with any current TV at anything over 24hz and this is totally unacceptable and unplayable, 720p (and a naff one at that due to the 3d processing method, wont go into it here) is your only option but crank up that AA and all the bells and whistles its still alot of fun!!

Congrats on the set mate and welcome to 3d gaming, just a thought about what you said in case you were hoping for 1080p 3d or perhaps i just have it wrong, you cant game in 1080p 3d with any current TV at anything over 24hz and this is totally unacceptable and unplayable, 720p (and a naff one at that due to the 3d processing method, wont go into it here) is your only option but crank up that AA and all the bells and whistles its still alot of fun!!

Ah thanks mate, I didnt actually realise that and its a shame it wont be soley used for 3d gaming as my PC is actually a HTPC so I use it for all my bluray playback and storage etc so in this respect Im after it for 3d blurays.

But thats good to know because if I cant get it working properly I will just get a dedicated 3d bluray player and I can get 1080i 3d gaming through a 1.3hdmi splitter :)

With abit of research though the spare "Neet" active HDMI splitter DOES successfully split full hd 3d on other setups based on reviews, so it sounds like if I go PC - splitter - TV & AVR I should be on to a winner :)- although Im guessing I will have to master the order to turn things on for this but its sounding promising so far :)

Rest assured pictures will be whored on arrival! :thumbsup:

okkkaaayy,

Splitter is a no go :(

I had a feeling this would be the case, but of course the pc will only see the AVR or TV, if it sees just the TV, I only get stereo (doesnt recognise 3d tv set but I have a feeling one of my cables isnt v1.4), if it sees the AVR it doesnt see the tv to push 3d.

So, sorry if Ive asked this already, but this is a question around duel displays-

If I have my hdmi going to my AVR from the PC, and a DVI>HDMI going to my TV;

first of all, would I still be able to send hd audio via hdmi and the picture via DVI simultaneously?

Secondly, assuming the above works- as I assume I would have to run this as "cloned" when it comes to gaming- would the gpu try to essentially play the game twice (by sending the picture to what it sees as both displays) or if not is there some sort of "hotkey" that I can switch "main displays" when I want to use my projector (which is connected to the other end of the AVR?)?

This is confusing the hell out of me just typing it but its a pain I cant see any other way around it :(

Well heres an update:

After spending/wasting £20 on HDMI 1.4 compatible cables- often the simplest resultion is the right one.

I should have tried it first, but my original theory (which I never tried) works beautifully!

So I have hdmi from gtx460 to AVR, and dvi- hdmi from GTX460 to 3d tv.

Both are set to "replicate" desktop with the 3d tv as the primary, and low and behold I can set (and nvidia control panel recognises) 3d resolutions for the TV whilst keeping the second stream at non 3d resolutions/refresh rates.

It works a treat! 3D movie playing direct to the tv with HD audio going to the AVR :)

Happy Grangey :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom