Question 3d films on vr headsets

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After replacing my tv for a new oled, I still want to watch 3D and a cheap option seems to be a great headset, I know the PSVR does it but there hell of a lot of wires, but looking at PC setups they seem to be wireless. I have a pc although it’s not that powerful I was wondering if they can run 3D films like the PSVR does?

there are a couple of apps on steam and Oculus for plating back files, but I`m not sure if they will play discs.

Its okay but after experiencing 3D on my Epson projector, I'd reccomend just buying a cheap projector and using that instead. Its actually superior and has a real magic to it which VR kind of takes away because the projection feels a lot less magical.

How to explain..

VR is magical as an active process. You're involved, you're moving, you're there, you have controllers, you're in control, you're playing.
VR films have 360 degree movement and the depth is obviously quite infinite in its presentation.

3D films aren't like that and they don't translate that well to VR. It can end up looking a pop-up bookish where if you used a PJ + 3D glasses, its not so much. VR is very very precise and because we associate perfection in terms of effects from VR games, having the headset on with these is actually disorientating. You're putting a pasisve form of entertainment and process into an active form of immersion and entertainment.

You also have the resolution and glare to deal with.

There aren't that many 3D films and they're going to stop making them soon so I wouldn't want to ruin the experiences by playing them on a VR headset.

Save up and buy the neccessary equipment (PJ, +3D glasses + Screen/paint).

3D films are a passive process and thats the magic of them. Elsa's little snowflakes going into your face in your living room. Its nice, but its not game-changing, its not VR. Therefore putting on a headset for it is.. well not worth it. A VR headset accepts you have to strap this uncomfortable crap to your head but in return you will be transported to a new world and enjoy a phenomenal experience. This isn't the case for 3D films in VR.

Reference:
I've used an Oculus Quest, Rift S and Valve Index for 3D films. The Index was better for films, the Rift S was the worst, The Quest was in the middle due to the OLED blacks. The PSVR resolution is too low for films. You will lose a lot of detail.

But yes, a Valve Index or Rift S can play 3D MKVs fine.

I'd however suggest a projector. Even the Index's FOV makes watching films uncomfortable. There is nothing whcih replaces a 100 inch image being projected in 3D into your living room. PJs do that.

After replacing my tv for a new oled, I still want to watch 3D and a cheap option seems to be a great headset, I know the PSVR does it but there hell of a lot of wires, but looking at PC setups they seem to be wireless. I have a pc although it’s not that powerful I was wondering if they can run 3D films like the PSVR does?

Big Screen is about to launch an in built player which will allow you to play video files like 3D Blu-ray. Its still in Alpha at the momenent but that might change in a week or two.

I’ve watched a couple of 3D MP4s on the oculus quest and they look brilliant.

In Cinematic Mode, PS VR will display 3D games and films in 2D when playing on a 3D-compatible TV. When playing with non 3D-compatible TVs, PS4 won’t play 3D games and films.
i thought you could use the PSVr without the tv needing to be 3D!

has anyone got any ( demo type high quality) small 3D clips I could use to try out 3d video on either my Quest of S? always meant to try a 3d movie and have no way to play my blu rays on pc to connect with my S. I have Virtual Desktop and Whirligig player

Have a look on YouTube as there are loads on there like this one.

Quest has awful resolution
Rift S has awful colour
Index has vertical SDE which plagues certain skin tones especially and column correction only mitigates the issue.
Reverb has boxy FOV

I personally don't see a role for 3D in VR aslong as the headsets are as they are.

A cheap DLP projector can be had for £400. It will be a better experience overall in terms of comfort, clarity, colours, immersion, the ability to be a passive form of entertainment, intergration of sound, ability to watch with multiple people.

I've also found in VR some 3D is very pop-out book-ish, whilst on a TV or Projector, it manages to look a lot more natural.

Have a look on YouTube as there are loads on there like this one.

Quest has awful resolution
Rift S has awful colour
Index has vertical SDE which plagues certain skin tones especially and column correction only mitigates the issue.
Reverb has boxy FOV

I personally don't see a role for 3D in VR aslong as the headsets are as they are.

A cheap DLP projector can be had for £400. It will be a better experience overall in terms of comfort, clarity, colours, immersion, the ability to be a passive form of entertainment, intergration of sound, ability to watch with multiple people.

I've also found in VR some 3D is very pop-out book-ish, whilst on a TV or Projector, it manages to look a lot more natural.

I actually have a home cinema exactly like you describe, Im just curious really.

I actually have a home cinema exactly like you describe, Im just curious really.

Oh yeah, definitely check it out. I found it cool but just not of much use.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom