3D Film does not work with 3D TV - why ?

rushdenx1

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Panasonic TX-P42UT30B 3D TV which came with 2 pairs of Panasonic TY-EW3D3ME 3D glasses. I also have a Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3D Blu-Ray player. I watched Megamind in 3D with my son and was really impressed, so decided to buy another 3D film. I bought 'Journey to the centre of the earth' 3D only to find that it would only work with the cheap cardboard 3D glasses and even that was poor and would not play in 3D with my Panasonic 3D glasses. I am naturally disappointed and want to know why some 3D films won't work on a 3D TV and how can I avoid buying a film in future which does not work properly with my 3D Panasonic TV and Panasonic glasses. Kevin.:mad:

I bought 'Journey to the centre of the earth' 3D only to find that it would only work with the cheap cardboard 3D glasses and even that was poor and would not play in 3D with my Panasonic 3D glasses. I am naturally disappointed and want to know why some 3D films won't work on a 3D TV

Yes , you need to watch out for this , its not so much that it didnt work , as that more than 50% of people dont get the effect with this rubbish old technology ...

There is the old 3D technology , called Anaglyph , that works on any DVD or BD player with cheap and nasty cardboard glasses with a red and blue filter , ..... and the totally new 3D technology that has two separate full HD streams for each eye that works with the newer better glasses.

With the older obsolete Anaglyph technology , Its not always made as clear as it should be on the packaging for such titles that it uses this rubbish technology.

Anaglyph doesnt need a 3D player , or a 3D TV , it will "work" for want of a better word , with any player or TV , it does not use the new technology in the latest round of trying to get 3D into the home.

Last edited:
With the older obsolete Anaglyph technology , Its not always made as clear as it should be on the packaging for such titles that it uses this rubbish technology.
There's nothing remotely 'rubbish' about anaglyph technology.

It's a perfectly acceptable means of generating a 3D effect, based on solid science, when limited to a 2D display system

Used in the right conditions it can generate a convincing 3D expereince for anyone without access to a modern 3D TV.

Not sure why, but I've found it more convincing with older CRT tech (for reasons I can't explain) which would doubtless make the OP's experience doubly bad ;)

There's nothing remotely 'rubbish' about anaglyph technology.

It's a perfectly acceptable means of generating a 3D effect, based on solid science, when limited to a 2D display system

Used in the right conditions it can generate a convincing 3D expereince for anyone without access to a modern 3D TV.

Not sure why, but I've found it more convincing with older CRT tech (for reasons I can't explain) which would doubtless make the OP's experience doubly bad ;)

:laugh: C'mon - it's rubbish in every way.

:laugh: C'mon - it's rubbish in every way.
Have you ever researched it?

Are you familiar with the different systems?

Have you even seriously watched it?

Many people confuse old anaglyph film technology as perhaps rubbish (over exaggerated 3D etc) but the viewing technology itself has improved greatly.

Yes , yes and yes , and its rubbish , of course thats why all the money was spent on the new formats for 3D blu ray , because we already had such an excellent system available !!

Limitations of Anaglyph are all listed here , add them all up , and 50% of viewers or more cannot see the effect , thats why its rubbish and will stay rubbish !
The OP clearly discovered this for him/herself.

Anaglyphs for 3 dimensional viewing.

* People where the 2 eyes don't work together cannot see 3D
* People using glasses with a huge difference between the prescription for Left and Right eye cannot see 3D
* People with some difference in vision for Right- and Left eye will have problems or cannot see 3D
* If the stereo base is too big people cannot see 3D
* If there is vertical misalignment people cannot see 3D
* If there are rotations people cannot see 3D
* If there is convergence between the cameras people cannot see 3D
(Claus Krarup, Optician, Denmark)

Last edited:

Many people confuse old anaglyph film technology as perhaps rubbish (over exaggerated 3D etc) but the viewing technology itself has improved greatly.

I've used it, I actually have some decent glasses which I tried with nvidia 3d gaming and movies. The depth perception is pretty good but I hate the way anaglyph destroys colour even more than the way polarised movies at the cinema destroy contrast, It may as well be in B&W - that's why I think it's a rubbish tech.

I think bluster is getting in the way of the facts.

And the fact is, the anaglyph method of transmitting 3D was dead long before Kenny Everritt and Jaws 3D !

Yes , yes and yes , and its rubbish , of course thats why all the money was spent on the new formats for 3D blu ray , because we already had such and excellent system available !!
You misunderstand - I'm not remotely suggesting it equates to what a modern 3D TV can deliver - obviously they are superior (be rather strange I'd bought one otherwise)

I've used it, I actually have some decent glasses which I tried with nvidia 3d gaming and movies. The depth perception is pretty good but I hate the way anaglyph destroys colour even more than the way polarised movies at the cinema destroy contrast, It may as well be in B&W - that's why I think it's a rubbish tech.
I agree, but you have to take account of more recent techs such as ColorCode which maintains good colour (albeit really needs to be viewed in quite a dark room for best effect)

Under good viewing conditions, it's easy to experience the same pop-out a modern 3D set produces :cool:

I certainly wont be going back to it though :)

Going back to the OP, you need to check the box very carefully! Giveaways that it will be an Anaglyph film include "Works on all TVs", Free glasses included, that sort of thing.

Also, look for the "3D Blu-ray" logo on the disc. If it doesn't have one then you need to double check and/or do a bit of research before buying. Amazon have a message along the lines of "you will need a new 3D TV in order to view this disc".

"Journey to the Centre of the Earth" is a well known movie (amongst 3D fans) to not have had a 3D Blu-ray release yet. I think one is imminent...maybe next month?

Gae

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom