1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3d crashing - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by t-force, May 27, 2003.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    My PC has a horrible habit of crashing when it's doing 3d stuff - Deus Ex, Everquest, Morrowind to name but a few - sometimes it will hang, sometimes I get a BSD, and sometimes it goes back to the desktop.

I've got a Athlon XP 1800+, with a SB Audigy, GeForce3 Ti 500, 1 gig of RAM, a 100 gig WD hard drive, and a VIA motherboard.

I'm using the latest drivers for anything I can think of - Processor, GeForce, SB, but nothing seems to make any difference.

There doesn't appear to be any cast-iron crash method: sometimes I can use the PC for hours before it happens, sometimes only a couple of minutes.

It's rather frustrating, to say the least!! :mad:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,426
    Do you have the latest motherboard drivers?
    And have you tried changing the settings in the BIOS? Maybe load the 'safe' defaults.
    If the above doesn't work then try borrowing a different video card to see if you have the same problems. Elimination of the problem hardware components would be the way to go next.

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    OK, this may sound like rather a stupid question, but could my internal temperature have anything to do with it (as I guess when it's doing 3d stuff my GeForce has got to work harder)?

I ask, because I just d/led SiSoft Sandra, to find out the specifics of my motherboard, and I've been told that my board is running at 44 C, my processor at 66 C, and my power/aux temperature is 110 C, which seems a tad on the hot side. Could it be overheating, and crashing thus?

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,426
    It could be. What are the correct operating temperatures?
    Does that particular video card have a fan? Is there a PCI card right next to it?
    If the VGA card is fanless and it's overheating I would recommend looking at www.quietpc.co.uk for a better VGA cooler.

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    yep. that cpu is too hot. A better heatsink is definatly needed.

i wouldnt read into the powersupply temps at all - they are very un-reliable.

Also, since all of your temps seem so high, it looks as though you need more air-flow through the case. do you have any case fans running?

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I don't, as far as I know. I've tried opening the door to the cupboard that my PC sits in, to see if I can get some cooler air through it. Could that be causing the crashing?

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    yes. the cpu is too hot. airflow is vital to pc-stability. especially when your running a cpu such as an xp1800+. get it out of that cupboard and put it on the floor. I bet the temps drop.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not in my PC it's not :rolleyes: Then again all major heat producing components are watercooled.

Crashing back to desktop is usually (but not always) caused by bad memory.

Defo require more cooling there though & then narrow down the problem by eliminating each component one by one.

PSU could also be a suspect.

9. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    lol. i know there are exceptions. Let's say airflow is vital to all air-cooled pc's lol.

remember he said that happens sometimes. it also bsod's and hangs.

at those temps it could well be the psu or the cpu.....or both. the first thing to do is get it out of the cupboard. that should drop the temps substancially.

While we're on the subject, is your psu water-cooled, kramer?

10. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Well, now that I've updated my m/b drivers, and flashed my BIOS, things seem to be more stable, touch wood. I haven't had a crash yet, which is definitely something. I did look at www.quietpc.co.uk, and it sure looks promising, so I may pick up new cooling stuff for my CPU and GPU - that's if I decide against upgrading my entire PC to an Alienware Area 51 :devil:!!

Many thanks to all for their advice and help.

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,426
    I don't know anyone who runs their PC in a cupboard without any special cooling and even if this isn't the immediate cause of your problems, it could cause thm in the future. Things like hard drive failures.
    If you open the cupboard door while the PC has been on a while and the air temperature inside is anything above room temperature than you're in trouble.
    We recently bought a nice unit to put our living room electronics in - satellite box, TIVO, AV amp and HCPC. The first thing I did was rip the piece of wood off the back so there is plenty of ventilation in there.
    If you put the PC in the cupboard because it's loud then visit the quiet PC site for replacement case & cpu fans - which tend to be the noisiest bits.
    It's possible to get your PC virtually silent.

12. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    When I say cupboard, I mean one side of my computer desk, which has got an open back, and doesn't seem to get too warm. I think though that I will indulge in a new PSU, flower cooler and gpu cooling kit from quietpc.