• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

3d converter for projector

potpneherb

Standard Member
Hi, have any of you guys ever seen this 3d converter box before, it seems to do the same thing as the 3d-xl and vp3d1 but adds 2d to 3d conversion. What do you guys reckon? Is this a decent price and will it perform the same way? I can't find much about it online.

potpneherb

Standard Member
I did a bit more looking around and it seems that it is a generic branded chinese import, I found more info by typing in V3D-II converter into google rather than searching for Koolertron, most sites are Chinese though and don't give much more info than what's on the Amazon site.

potpneherb

Standard Member
Optoma hd700x, I haven't updated the firmware yet but plan on doing so when I get something to convert a 3d signal to something my projector can handle.

potpneherb

Standard Member
Does anybody know whether the vp3d1 is compatible with my projector after it's firmware upgrade, I think that the viewsonic box might be the cheapest way of me getting 3d. Thanks for any help any one can give me.

amitpuri

Standard Member
Hi

I was going to ask the same question - how good is this?

I have updated my Optoma HD700X's firmware t make it 3D Ready and was going to get either the 3D-XL or VP3D1 t get the most out of the 120Hz 3D capabilities.

Any help guys? I note there is nothing else out there that works like these two already on the market...

amitpuri

Standard Member
Thanks for letting me know, I've seen that one, it doesn't come with glasses though I think. What projector you intending to use with it?

Pls let us know how you get in with it!

greywood

Standard Member
Hi UKdave. You wrote late last year about buying a Koolertron V3D-II 3D Video Converter from ebay for £90. I am looking to get one for my Optoma 3d-xl compatible projector and you are the only person that I have found that has brought one :) lol Can you tell me what's it's like please mate?

Jamie

ukdave

Standard Member
2 days after ordering, my projector went kaput so I never got chance to test it. Sent it back (at a cost of £20) and purchased an acer h5360bd.

Am very interested myself to see if those boxes work with sky 3d and sbs stuff etc but very hard to find any information

Blazeracer

Novice Member
I got this and have used it quite a bit. Here's my review on Amazon...

To start with the set up, my system is all 3D ready components. First off is the projector, a Vivitek D520ST that puts out 2,700 lumens and is 3d ready with dlp link bought for $600 at Fry's Electronics, My receiver is a Sony STR-DH520 that does 7.1 surround and has 3D pass through bought for $220 at Fry's. My BluRay player is a Samsung BD-F5900 that plays 3D discs bought for $130 at Fry's. I project onto a 100" screen at about 9 feet away I guess. I got the screen for my old projector, this one can go bigger. My glasses are Okeba Ultralight Active Shutter Rechargeable Glasses For 3D DLP-LINK bought from Amazon for $20 a piece. That's the set up, now on to this product.

Anyone who has gotten a projector and expected to go 3D out of the box my have been disappointed like I was. Three years ago the HDMI 1.4a to 1.3 converters were very expensive so I just enjoyed the kick ass quality of the Vivtek projector in 1080p. I've been keeping an eye on what's out there and these converters have now been out for a while now. I pulled the trigger and ordered one of these Chinese made box's figuring no great loss if it didn't pan out. Well, to say I was mildly surprised is an understatement. This thing does it all when it comes time for 3D.

First you gotta get the system to go into 3D mode. For me, that meant switching the projector to DLP Link from it's menu. From the BluRay player to the converter box you MUST use an HDMI 1.4a cable. Two are provided with this box. I plugged the BluRay into the HDMI1 port, there are two in's on the box. After the converter box, standard HDMI 1.3 cables will suffice. I run a 1.4a from the BluRay to the converter. A 1.3 from the converter to the receiver, and I have a 16 foot long HDMI 1.3 cable running from the receiver to the projector with no problem. The receiver processes audio as it should and passes a clean converted HDMI 1.3 signal to the projector.

The first thing I tried in 3D was Star Trek Into Darkness on 3D BluRay. This is simply DAZZLING!! Now, when you do this the projector will go into 720P at 120Hz. I think what you are getting is TWO 720p images switching back and forth at at 120Hz. One for the left eye and one for the right eye. Combined they are seamless and true to life. DLP technology is the shizzle for this stuff! Put in Travis Pastrana's Nitro Circius 3D and this is awe inspiring.

Next we watched Rock of Ages 2D BluRay and converted it to 3D. That worked DAMN well. So well I'm not really sure you need 3D discs to watch 3D at all. Gonna try 2D to 3D conversion with Fast And Furious 6 tonight. Watched it, it was OK, but still not nearly as good as 3D BluRay disc.

Next was TV. I plugged the second HDMI 1.4a cable from my terrestrial digital TV receiver to the converter box using the HDMI2 port. Push a button on the remote and it switched over after about 30 seconds of thinking about it. The first show I watched was Jay Leno. It's surprising when you see regular TV in 3D. Makes you wonder how much of it is made for 3D. What I really wanted to see was a live football game. Once again, this little gem did not dissapoint. The depth is spectacular.

The unit has a bunch of buttons on the remote for different 2D to 3D conversion modes and a bypass button. What it does not have a button to go back to straight up 3D. The only way I've found to get the box to go back to straight 3D is to turn it off, load your 3D disc, and then turn it back on. A small price to pay for something that delivers so well.

One final thing, My power supply went out after a day of use, but we did have a storm that knocked out power and MAY have been the culprit. I just happen to have this old piece of electronics laying around that has the same power supply and it works with it. I don't know if the power supply made a difference, but today it went from a 3d movie, to a 2D to 3D converted movie, and back to 3D movie without a hitch.

I love this little box.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
No need for them now though mate as you can get a full HD home cinema 3D PJ cheap enough now a days.

Edit just for future information mate cables aren't rated 1.3 or 1.4, only the hardware is. Cables are either high speed or not. Plus your PJ would not be showing 720p in each eye as it's a data projector so will be down scaled by your PJ.

Last edited:

Blazeracer

Novice Member
For those like me of us who got our really nice projectors 2 or 3 years ago, this box works perfect without having to buy another projector as long as it's "3D capable". In another 2-3 years my next projector will be "3D ready". Plus, you get 2D to 3D conversion. I can now play ANYTHING back in 3D. Can't beat that for $100.

From what I've read on the cable, there is an ethernet channel in a 1.4a cable that is not existant in a 1.3 cable. High speed or not, a 1.3 cable will not pass the 3D signal out of a BluRay player. I could be wrong though. A 1.4a cable also has an audio return channel that a 1.3 cable does not have, meaning you could go from the signal source, to the amp, and then to the TV and if needed because of the use of your TV's tuner, pass the audio BACK to the amp in the same cable. Don't know why someone would need this, but I'm sure someone somewhere is using it. This could be the same difference in a high speed and low speed HDMI cable, just 1.4a and 1.3 are the technical names? High speed = HDMI 1.4a and low speed = HDMI 1.3???? Maybe??

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Agree that yes for those that would like 3D on an old 120hz PJ they are great, just pointing out that now all home cinema PJ's now are full 3D.
What you have read is correct about 1.4a and 1.3 but as I say this relates to the hardware, cables don't have Chanel's they have bandwidth and high speed cables have the bandwidth to carry 3D.
With regards the reverse audio in the UK it could come in handy due to the TV sets having free view and freesat tuners built in.
The industry tried to bring in a standard for 3D but Sky and Sony fought it because the playstation3 and the sky box already did 3D over 1.3 and it seems they won the battle.

Lesenf

Novice Member
Guys,

I have a question I am going to buy a 3d ready projector benq w1070 and a projector screen 115". If i simply want to watch 3d bluray connecting a 3d bluray player to the projector do I need one of those converter ? Sorry very new in that field

thanks

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Guys,

I have a question I am going to buy a 3d ready projector benq w1070 and a projector screen 115". If i simply want to watch 3d bluray connecting a 3d bluray player to the projector do I need one of those converter ? Sorry very new in that field

thanks

No you don't, the converter is for non 3D projectors.

Lesenf

Novice Member
Thank you,

Quick question. If i am going to buy an Benq w1070 and not planning to upgrade it for a few years is it really worth it to buy a screen projector reference 4k even though the projector dont proivde that quality? or would a regular elunevision reference be more suitable ? difference in price is kinda huge. Beside the 4k capability (projector dont have 4k) will the screen provide better quality

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom