• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

3D Blu-ray player PS3 or Standalone Player?

Keithhampson

Hi I am wanting a 3d blu ray player to watch 3d movies on my new tv, I am wanting to know am I best getting a ps3 ( friend selling one cheap) or a standalone 3d blu ray player to use on it. What will give me the best experience?

thanks keith

benny

Depends on your budget, if only upto £200 i prob would just use a ps3, but performance isnt the strongest you can achieve, to see a noticeable leap in quality, look to spend £300-£600 on a standalone player.
It all depends how much your into it, and were you want to go.
I paid £700 for my Denon 3313 and is truly stunning bluray player, can be had for cheaper now.
Overall strength of picture is ahead of a ps3, contrast, richness of colour, clarity of image.
You really do get what you pay for, but you can get some great performing players at the lower price points, the ps3 is honestly only average as a bluray player but still looks ok mate.
And they are cheap. I would not sell mine, as a gamer its a great bit of AV kit but just know it can be bettered. Good luck.
Some of the sony standalone players are great for not a lot of money.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
If you do ever want to add your 3D player to a 5.1 system, bear in mind that the PS3 doesn't stream 3D and Dolby TrueHD at the same time, although 3D and DTS-HD isn't a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom