3D Blu-ray issue on LG 47LW650T (BD660)

ggsumo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok this may sound a little strange but I have just purchased a LG 47LW660T and a LG BD660 3 D Blu Ray player and this may sound a little strange but;.

TV is excellent showing excent 2D and 3D from 2D images, in fact the depth to the normal picture is a massive improvent over my 4 year old 42 LG.

The DVD is excellent playing normal 2D Blu Rays and letting the TV convert these is pretty good. However the true 3D experience is supposed to be playing 3D Blu-rays and this is where I have a problem.

I purchased "Rio" 3D for the kids and to test the system but inially it was unwatchable as it gave us all pains in one eye and the motion was just a blur. Yesterday i purchased an upgraded HDMI which improved the motion issue rapidly but the images are still eye hurting. The best desription of the images i can give is that as soon as they move they seem to split into 2. Everything I read people say the 3D is exceptional on the blu-ray player so I may have to hire another film to try but any other ideas greatly appreciated :lease:

ggsumo said:
Ok this may sound a little strange but I have just purchased a LG 47LW660T and a LG BD660 3 D Blu Ray player and this may sound a little strange but;.

TV is excellent showing excent 2D and 3D from 2D images, in fact the depth to the normal picture is a massive improvent over my 4 year old 42 LG.

The DVD is excellent playing normal 2D Blu Rays and letting the TV convert these is pretty good. However the true 3D experience is supposed to be playing 3D Blu-rays and this is where I have a problem.

I purchased "Rio" 3D for the kids and to test the system but inially it was unwatchable as it gave us all pains in one eye and the motion was just a blur. Yesterday i purchased an upgraded HDMI which improved the motion issue rapidly but the images are still eye hurting. The best desription of the images i can give is that as soon as they move they seem to split into 2. Everything I read people say the 3D is exceptional on the blu-ray player so I may have to hire another film to try but any other ideas greatly appreciated :lease:

How are you watching the 3d?
Are you selecting side by side?? I don't know if it's correct but that's what I select when streaming 3d Mkv files

Hi.
3D is not for everyone. My brother, for instance, just gets headaches at 3D showings at the cinema.
If you want to try another source, BBCHD are showing some 3D segments as part of the promo loop...
--
Regards, Iain.

Hi.
3D is not for everyone. My brother, for instance, just gets headaches at 3D showings at the cinema.
If you want to try another source, BBCHD are showing some 3D segments as part of the promo loop...
--
Regards, Iain.

Thanks for the response - I am watching Sanctum on Sky 3d as I type with no issues (and TBH looks superb) and letting the TV 2D to 3D the Rio Blu ray is fine but trying to get the actual 3D Bluray to give the correct effect is where it all falls down - its very similar to another couple of reports refering to Ice Age 3D.

How are you watching the 3d?
Are you selecting side by side?? I don't know if it's correct but that's what I select when streaming 3d Mkv files

I dont get the choice on the input for Blu Ray

Hi.
Uhm. Wild guesses, enable 24p mode and 1080p output on the BD player, and see if that makes any difference. It shouldn't... Also, check for software updates; connect the unit to the Internet, then Others -> software -> update.
--
Regards, Iain.

I assume your eye level is central to the screen? Passive tv's have a very narrow vertical viewing angle but a wide horizontal viewing angle.

Your eyes need to be well within the frame of the tv.

You shouldn't have any ghosting on passive 3d unless it's extreme pop out.

I assume your eye level is central to the screen? Passive tv's have a very narrow vertical viewing angle but a wide horizontal viewing angle.

Your eyes need to be well within the frame of the tv.

You shouldn't have any ghosting on passive 3d unless it's extreme pop out.

Yes , Yes and ghosting on any movement on Rio

Just software update to try and a different Film

Have you tried reversing the 3d? Can't think of anything else to try.

When in 3d mode press q menu then choose 3d mode. Change from left/right to right/left.

Probably will make it worse but you never know. Strange things happen with tech.

ggsumo, there seems to be an issue with 3D Blu-ray movies and some LG monitors. Along with a couple of others on the forum, I have had similar problems to what you seem to be experiencing. I bought the LG2342P monitor a couple of weeks ago and had to send it back because of a horrible juddering motion on moving objects. This only happened with 3D Blu-ray movies over HDMI. All other 3D material was fine. I replaced this with the LG DM2350D. Thankfully this monitor didn't have the same problem but unfortunately does suffer from brightness fluctuations again only when watching 3D Blu-ray over HDMI. All other 2D and 3D material is fine. I had a live chat with one of the LG technicians but he was no help saying that this wasn't an issue that he had heard about. He then started throwing acronyms at me such as NIT and in the end I just lost interest in the conversation.
I have decided to keep this monitor as I can put up with these brightness fluctuations and can't be bothered with the hassle, for the second time of getting authorization, sending it back and waiting for deliveries etc etc.

Overall it's a very nice TV/Monitor apart from this one small issue.

Gae

Last edited:
Have you tried reversing the 3d? Can't think of anything else to try.

When in 3d mode press q menu then choose 3d mode. Change from left/right to right/left.

Probably will make it worse but you never know. Strange things happen with tech.

This will sort it ;)

latest software update to the Blu Ray player has sorted it. thanks all

latest software update to the Blu Ray player has sorted it. thanks all

:thumbsup:

And I sorted my brightness fluctuations a couple of weeks ago. Switching to Expert1 or Expert2 mode which have an ISF logo on them sorted it out. No brightness fluctuations at all. :smashin:
Why this isn't mentioned in the manual is still beyond me though...its strange. After all, would anyone want to watch a movie where the image goes brighter and darker on almost every scene change? Fast edited scenes are just unwatchable.

Gae

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom