3D Blu-Ray Help

Gae

I have just purchased the LG D2342P-PN 23 inch Widescreen 3D LED Monitor along with the Philips 3D Blu-Ray player BDP3280. I have an issue playing 3D Bluy-ray discs though. Although the picture quality is excellent, when in 3D mode, there is a horrible shimmering effect on moving objects. Also, it seems like there is frame delay between the sides which is noticeable when the scenes cut from one to another. It's as though the left and right sides are out of alignment. Is this something to do with the 1080p/24Hz output of Blu-Ray? I have tried 1080p, 1080i as well as 1080p/24Hz output on the Blu-ray settings but I still get the same effect. Other 3D side by side clips i.e. off YouTube look fine and don't have this shimmering effect which makes viewing almost unwatchable with 3D Blu-rays. Is this a problem with the current 3D Blu-ray technology or does it sound like I have a defective monitor?

I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

Gae

Last edited:

Gae

In reply to my own reply ;) I think it's a cable issue. I was just using a bog standard HDMI cable instead of HDMI 1.4. The quote below (can't remember which website) seems to represent the problems that I'm having. Time for a cable upgrade then. :roll:

What HDMI 1.4 overcomes is the reliance of an alternating frame system to deliver 1080p 3-D by offering simultaneous 1080p streams. *This* is what HDMI 1.3 can't do. How this affects the end user depends on their 3-D display. It hasn't really been discussed in this thread yet, but all alternating frame 3-D systems will have (to varying degrees) "phasing" issues. Notably with motion at a sympathetic rate of the alternating cycle which is used. This can be seen with certain pans or motion in theatrical polarized Real-D, as well as the Dolby / Infitec system, which both uses alternating frames @ 144hz in order to be able to use one projector. Only IMAX uses twin projectors, and therefore avoids these potential phasing issues. The faster the alternating frames, the less obtrusive this type of artifact becomes. However- With a 3-D display device (be it a 4K display device that can offer L/R stereo content at 2K via polarization, or dual projectors) that doesn't need alternating frames, these issues can then be easily bypassed with 1.4, as it has the bandwidth to offer both streams in a better form.

Gae43

Gae

Tested my 3D Blu-ray player over HDMI 1.3 on another 3D TV today...picture was flawless.

Conclusion....I have a faulty monitor that will need sending back to LG. :rolleyes:

Gae

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom