3d and yamaha dsp z7

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by daformah, Jan 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. daformah

daformah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi all and happy new year!

Just got a new tv (panny 50vt30) very happy with set etc and just got sky 3d enabled.

My amp is only hdmi 1.3 but when I view sky 3d I can view 3d no probs. what does it not support? I don't have a 3d blu ray player yet.

Is it that it supports side by side 3d but not the sort that 3d blu ray players do. Confused

Getting an Oppo 93 next week ;)

Any answers appreciated as always!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,140
    The 3D used for TV broadcasts is the lesser side-by-side variety and older non HDMI 1.4 amps should allow this. The same is true of PS3 3D games, but Blu-rays use sequential 3D and this will require an AV amp with HDMI 1.4 to allow passthrough.

In the case of Blu-ray, the video is sent out of the player at 1080p 24 frames per second, per eye; or 48 frames per second. For the side-by-side system like TV 3D broadcasts, a single 1080i frame that holds both the right and left eye's images is sent. The TV receives this signal, splits it into two frames, displays them sequentially and then stretches them to fit the screen. This isn't as good as Blu-ray, but it uses considerably less bandwidth and makes it possible for TV broadcasters to broadcast the signal. The HDMI 1.3 spec isn't equipped to handle 3D sequential, but 3D side-by-side doesn't differ to conventional 1080i video signals so this type of signal passes through HDMI 1.3 AV amps without issue.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  3. daformah

daformah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks chap.

A very informative reply ;)

At least the Oppo has analog audio out and dual hdmi.

Just got to get some analog audio leads now.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,140
    You may as well use the HDMI outputs with the BDP93. It is the BDP95 that has the superior DACs and analogue board. You'll not really gain anything by using the player's analogue outputs and the cables would just be an added expenses (not to mention a clutter).

I use HDMI to output to my RXV2065 from an OPPO BDP93 and I'm happy with the resulting audio. I've tried the player's analogue output in stereo, but can't say I noticed any difference.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. daformah

daformah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Based on that, is there any point spending the extra on the Oppo? Or just get a player with dual hdmi output like the panny 330?

Is the video processing on the Oppo 93 worth the extra?

I was under the impression that the best part of the Oppo was the sound. Baring in mind I already have a Z7 which is no slouch.

Already spent the extra on the TV to get the flagship model and will be emptying the savings to get the Oppo.

Thoughts?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,140
    The Marvell video chip is well worth the extra, as are the extended number of file formats the OPPO can play. I guess it depends on your display and/or PJ as to whether you'd notice any difference with Blu-rays, but older DVDs and video files definitely shine. You'd be hard pushed to differentiate some of the DVDs from BDs if not purposely looking. The OPPO is also a SACD player, something the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 cannot do.

If interested in improving the audio then you'd be better off going for the BDP95. Both the 93 and 95 have the same video spec, but the 95 has the superior DACs and a better power supply. The Cirrus Logic CS4382 (same as the BDP-83) DACs onboard the 93 are pretty good, but only marginally better in comparison to the Burr Brown DACs onboard my RXV2065. I'd imagine your Z7 to have even better DACs than my amp? The BDP95 uses SABRE 32 Reference Audio DACs as well as a toroidal power supply.

THe BDP93 equates to a sub £250 CD player in terms of stereo audio CD output. The BDP95 has been reported to outperform many dedicated CD players costing more than it costs, but this cannot be quantified and could just be wishful thinking on the part of those reporting it?

I think my OPPO is wonderfully well made and it is built like a tank. It is much better than the egg box constructed players that now dominate the budget market.

I will not pretend that you'll get superior BD PQ or even SQ, but you will get a lot more than you'll get from the Panasonic ;)