3D add-on transmitter?

donkmeister

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a long-time lurker and first time poster!

I have a decent collection of 3D blurays, and I also have nearly a decade of 3D home movies (I bought the erm... massively successful... Sony HDR-TD30 camcorder). I have been able to watch these on 3D panels, but I'm soon going to be in a position to have a projector set up in my house.

I understand that 3D wasn't the commercial success many of us were hoping for, so hardware support has diminished massively over the last few years, and this lack of support is obvious when trying to find a current (4k) projector that has built-in 3D support. When looking for one that doesn't require a PC the choice seems to be limited to the Sony range. Fine projectors but with a correspondingly fine pricetag.

Is there such a thing as a passthrough box that allows a 2D projector to be used with 3D video? I'm thinking it would be a device with an HDMI input for 3D source devices, an RF transmitter to sync glasses, and an HDMI output carrying re-packaged 3D video.

As you can only get 3D in 1080p then you would be better off just getting one of the so called "Faux" 4K projectors which will do 3D and give you what is a great picture for the majority of people. All the main manufacturers are doing them, some are even using Laser instead of a conventional lamp.

I should have mentioned I have 4k content too, hence my hope to go for a 4k projector. Are the "faux K" ones good enough for that?
Any recommendations before I go searching? Cheers!

The Epson TW9400 which is Faux 4K is certainly worth a look.

I don't know what projectors you've looked at because most of them have 3D support.

In selecting a projector the room environment is important.

Such as:
What is the seating distance?
What color are the walls?
Budget?

I am really happy with my Optoma UHD51A and I have a friend who thinks the picture on his UHD 52ALVE is also superb so if you are OK with DLP I can recommend those.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom