• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

3D (2.1D) stereoscopic video

xtr3m3

Established Member
3D (2.1D) stereoscopic video

What's it all about.
I'm trying to get some opinions and test results here.

My experiences:
I personally don't see stereoscopic at all. I'm so called "flat viewer". In real life I do see 3D and I don't hit to objects. Also I don't wear any glasses. Except for Sun! :cool:
With this stereoscopic left/right eye flickering my head starts to hurt.
I totally loose my money with the movie "Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D". It was a really pain to watch. My companion really enjoyed the movie. The movie theatre had the technology installed in 2007 (it was the latest tech).

What are your experiences with 3D movies. Do they look really stereoscopic and living, or is this a mambo jumbo for you?

I have discovered that ppl who see 3D movies do see objects twice when they are drunk. I do not. When testing, I hope you test this only with your own responsibility!

Sources for the issue that about 10% of ppl are experiencing:
TV industry turns blind eye to non-3D viewers
TV Industry Turns Blind Eye To Non-3D Viewers

Gae

Established Member
What are your experiences with 3D movies. Do they look really stereoscopic and living, or is this a mambo jumbo for you?

I personally love 3D. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it but the depth of field is very obvious to me and really makes me feel that there is a background, middle and foreground to the scene, drawing me in to the environment that much more than a 2D image does. As an example, I watched a 3D short film on YouTube which was shot in the North Pole. In one scene there is a shot of an icy river in the snowy landscape. The depth of it is amazing. In the foreground we have rolling slopes of snow, in the middle the flowing icy water and deeply set back are the snowy ice caps of the mountains. The depth of field really makes me actually "feel" the vast spaciousness of this cold landscape.

What person interesting in documentaries and nature programmes of the world around us wouldn't appreciate that added dimension to the viewing experience?

I'm not a big fan of the pop out gimmick but it's a bit of fun and if the main character is walking through a forest and the leaves are pressing against his face, the fact that we experience that too, is a bit of fun and just for an instance, makes you experience what the character does. What's wrong with that when it's a part of the onscreen action?

Gae

xtr3m3

Established Member
I'd like to add something more to what I experience.

LCD is Good for my eyes:
My head and eyes starts to hurt when watching any plasma screen. Also with the latest Pioneer Kuro models. Is is with the refresh rate, or does the screen interference some mixed disco lights or what? :eek:
If you know anything, please tell me.
Also my eyes can't stand CRT screen any more (used to have one over 10 years ago). I get and instant migraine hedache.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom