3930 and 2930 pricing and release date

BrettD

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My local hifi dealer has managed to get the following information from Denon for me:

The 2930 and 3930 are to be released at the end of September

The pricing will be £650 for the 2930, and £1,100 for the 3930.

The 3930 seems a bit pricey to me, compared to the old list price of the 3910 and the price you can get one for now.

The 3930 has the same Realta HQV chip as the A1XVA, hence the price.

The pricing between the new 2930 and the older 3910 is now pretty similar. I wonder if an older 3910 would outperform the new 2930. Any ideas?

Not seen a 2930 to compare as yet but I'd say the 2930 is likely to outperform a 3910 in terms of video performance. Purely on the basis of it's video processor.

Jase - can i take it then "on paper" that the step between 3910 to 3930 is bigger than 2910 to 2930 ?

And is that the chip that the podacst dendon fella was raving about ie "maximising your current collection....has been mistaken for HD..."

On paper, yes.

Not heard the podcast but if he was talking about the Realta HQV chip then that's what's in the DVD-A1XVA and 3930. The 2930 gets the Reon VX chip. Both are made by Silicon Optix.

I'm keeping a close eye on the performance of the 3930, as if it is very highly regarded, then it may be worthwhile getting it over my Arcam 137 (poorly edition). Unless of course, Arcam can get these problems sorted out?

aye, the 3930 should be a good improvement over the 3910, altho the 3910 can deliver a very good picture with a good transfer, on a poorer transfer that macroblocking thing can really kick in and look a bit pants on my PJ....mostly just in dark scenes tho...

soundwise i wouldnt like to say they will change a whole lot, the 3910 isnt a bad audio player, especially with the multichannel discs....

quite possibly the 2930 will in video outperform a 3910, but i doubt it will match it for sound.....

I'm thinking if the 3930 is no better than my 3910 for sound, I may pass over this upgrade... anyone considering the upgrade from a 3910 to a 3930 themselves? I'm thinking I may just as well stick with the already superb 3910 and focus on buying a Bluray/HD-DVD player instead... what do you think?

My 3910 certainly won't be going anywhere soon. Next upgrade for me will probably be a new amp, or HD player.

I've not decided which format yet, but leaning towards HD-DVD at present, as the Blu Ray hardware just seems overpriced to me.

Any info on availability dates yet?

The 2930 might be the one for me - owner feedback from the U.S. looks positive.

Anyone any idea when the DVD-3930 will be actually available in the UK, the suggestion was by the end of september. The Germans seem to have it alrready.

I'm thinking if the 3930 is no better than my 3910 for sound, I may pass over this upgrade... anyone considering the upgrade from a 3910 to a 3930 themselves? I'm thinking I may just as well stick with the already superb 3910 and focus on buying a Bluray/HD-DVD player instead... what do you think?

I wasn't considering replacing my 3910 but with the Xbox 360 HD player coming in cheap now I'm considering swapping to Arcam's new FMJ DVD player. Unless there is major upgrades to the audio on the 3930 to match the improvements made to the video then I won't be considering the 3930 as a replacement. I'd rather spend the money on something that offered all round improvement or a scaler so I could spread the across my sources.

2930s arrived the other day. got a 2930 out of the box, and tbh the picture was good on the pioneer 436xde screen, colours were the denon special - very vivid, must admit denon link will be a seller and the dics tray looks to similar to a 3910 tray hmmmmmmm...........

dont buy it off the net, support your local shop or you will lose customer service for ever,

BTW internet goods arent covered by denons warranty. call them and see

dont buy it off the net, support your local shop or you will lose customer service for ever,

BTW internet goods arent covered by denons warranty. call them and see

If they are UK goods being sold by a UK based website, then they are covered by the basic manufacturers warranty as described by law, Denon cannot override the law.....

if however they are imports then you are correct, Denon can refuse to honour it through their service base here, the buyer would have to ship it to the country its supposed to be sold in where its warranty lies.

However i personally would never spend that sort of money with an online only enterprise or without a demo and if i had a demo i'd buy it where i demoed (which is what i have done with pretty much all my kit and as a result i've gotten far better discounts and deals over the 4 years its taken than if i'd looked online...heh, time pays off ;))

If they are UK goods being sold by a UK based website, then they are covered by the basic manufacturers warranty as described by law, Denon cannot override the law.....

if however they are imports then you are correct, Denon can refuse to honour it through their service base here, the buyer would have to ship it to the country its supposed to be sold in where its warranty lies.

However i personally would never spend that sort of money with an online only enterprise or without a demo and if i had a demo i'd buy it where i demoed (which is what i have done with pretty much all my kit and as a result i've gotten far better discounts and deals over the 4 years its taken than if i'd looked online...heh, time pays off ;))

exactly what i meant.

surrport your retailer. lose the internet junkies

exactly what i meant.

surrport your retailer. lose the internet junkies

well, nothing wrong with e-tailing in general, i certainly wouldnt have a problem picking up a £120 DVD player etc via the net to get it cheaper, thats not a problem...i'd be buying it for its basic function not for its quality...

but i do support the manufacturers who want their midrange-upper tier products to be shop bought only.......i know this is restrictive for certain people (ie those who live nowhere near a dealer or are disabled) but i'm sure the manufacturers would allow dealers to make concession in those instances, perhaps offer the dealer a discount when they have to take equipment to a disabled persons house for a demo, or give the dealer a discount so someone who has to travel a long way can get a little extra off due to the costs involved for that customer etc.........

however there are those who dont care and are happy to buy blind, now i bought fairly blind with my SVS PB12/Plus, but that was after many months of consideration and reading of posts on here, also i know that where i bought it from are a real shop as well, not just an office in a building with a warehouse in the midlands etc....so i didnt mind....and it turned out ok....but i definitely wouldnt have bought my MF A5 amp just online, even if they offered it lower than i paid for it, (and they'd have had to offer pretty damn low..heh), knowing i can just pop back to the shop i bought it from if any problems crop up is so much easier on my mind, rather than having to deal with emails going back and forth etc....also the fact i could demo it against other amps.....i might have bought another amp because i could get it cheaper and not have been as happy as i am now, i know this because i tried other amps and the MF A5 made me the happiest!......But if people want to buy blind, i guess from one point of view, is it fair to stop them?...but then, as i've argued before, they dont care so much because they are buying blind, which means they dont care about me, as if b&m shops disappear, then i lose all my ability to decide if i want something, instead i have to buy it, if i dont like it send it back immediately minus a 20% restocking fee or sell it on secondhand for a similar or greater loss.......basically, i lose out far more cash if their way happens than they do if the current way stays, most times an online place is only going to discount UP to 20% at the maximum, quite often only 10% or mebbe more if you are buying a load of other stuff as well.....but thats it, they rarely give you better discounts if you keep going back.....why? because you become a generic customer.....whereas in the shop i go to, they remember me everytime i walk in, i have a chat, i demo till the wee hours, they chuck in stuff thats a low cost to them on top of a discount on the product thats already on sale, why? because i've spent thousands with them and they are quite happy to reward my custom....

anyhow, back on topic......i wonder if the new 2930 and 3930 use the same transports from the 3910, i hope they do, its one of the best transports i've seen on a disc player, hifi or computer...lol....

Only if you import from outside the EU. Under EU law you are entitled to warranty on any product bought in an EU country. Denon has strict guidelines which deny this, but the plain fact is that their guidelines are unlawful. Getting them to adhere to EU law is another matter.

I bought my Denon amp from an e-tailer. Spending 1499 euros when you can get it for €1049 is just plain unacceptable to me. No amount of service makes up for that. Some retailers' service isn't even that good, although many do earn their money. Still, at a 30% premium, they'd have to provide some pretty damn special service never seen before in a hifi shop ;)

Only if you import from outside the EU. Under EU law you are entitled to warranty on any product bought in an EU country. Denon has strict guidelines which deny this, but the plain fact is that their guidelines are unlawful. Getting them to adhere to EU law is another matter.

I bought my Denon amp from an e-tailer. Spending 1499 euros when you can get it for €1049 is just plain unacceptable to me. No amount of service makes up for that. Some retailers' service isn't even that good, although many do earn their money. Still, at a 30% premium, they'd have to provide some pretty damn special service never seen before in a hifi shop ;)

thats just it tho, the price on the sticker on the demo model in the shop says 1499 euros....but if you know how to shop it isnt difficult to get that price down a bit, some people know how to do it others dont, i'm one that does and have always got a good deal........and before you say 'well what if i'm not someone who knows how to shop', well, there are plenty of people who dont know how to surf for the best bargains and dont particularly want to......anyhow back to the shop and the bartering, assuming you end up only getting 100 euros off (personally i'd be going for 200 or 150 minimum), usually you'll be able to sweetalk another 50 euros of cabling (100 to my mind or heavy discount on more), so now the price difference isnt so much......now, lets say after 2 months theres a problem with the unit, oh dear....heavy Denon amp, 50, 60 mebbe 70 euros to send it off to the manufacturer?.....price difference a bit smaller now? me, i just pop round to the hifi shop, give it to them and they'll send it back......they'll also be able to chase it up with more success via their Rep with the company, if i do it i have to email off and wait weeks for a reply only to find out it got sent to the wrong place or its been sitting waiting for some obscure reason......granted this doesnt always happen, but for the sake of a bit extra i know i have peace of mind....you dont.....if you can live with that stress on top of your daily life when it happens then fair enough....personally i think a hundred or so euros extra is better....oh also the shop will probably lend you a unit, mebbe not one as good but at least something to keep you listening while you wait for yours to come back........(and lets not forget that demo that could have saved you making an expensive mistake by buying an amp that wouldnt satisfy you.....worth a lot in my view)......bingo.....theres what the extra money buys ;)

but, as i say, some people are happy to take risks and dont mind, fair enough, if you can afford to risk then thats your choice....personally i cant, but i find it rather a shame that those who can afford something as usual couldnt care less about those who cant afford to risk it.....and if you can afford the risk, whats another couple hundred euros on something that expensive?....logic deteriorates at this point in the arguement.....unless of course you cant afford the risk but dont care.....in which case there is no logic to begin with...so an argument (sorry, debate..heh) over it is pointless...and will cycle back and forth....heh

believe me, its been done to death on this forum many times...nobody wins because we all want something different......at least in the arguement nobody wins, sadly in real life its quite likely the netshoppers will win and the b&m fans will no longer be able to know if what they are about to buy will be worth the money.....gonna be a sad day when there is no more demo shops...

Apologies in advance for the stupid question, but please could someone tell me what b&m stands for?

believe me, its been done to death on this forum many times...nobody wins because we all want something different......at least in the arguement nobody wins, sadly in real life its quite likely the netshoppers will win and the b&m fans will no longer be able to know if what they are about to buy will be worth the money.....gonna be a sad day when there is no more demo shops...

Apologies in advance for the stupid question, but please could someone tell me what b&m stands for?

Bricks & mortar. Your friendly neighbourhood dealer.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom