3910 MR and RCE - the definitive verdict?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Colgate7110, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi all,

Once again, I'm looking for the collective wisdom of the AVF community on 3910 matters. After buying my UK spec 3910 (with MR firmware from Sevenoaks) back in December, and falling absolutely in love with it, it's time to start collecting those R1 Super Special Director's Cut Extended Ultimate Collector's Editions that we are either short changed on or get months later.

Topping my list is the 3 disc Hellboy CE but being a Columbia Tri-Star release, it's RCE protected. I would have thought that the 3910 would laugh in the face of RCE protected discs but the box on Play USA clearly states that "If you are in any doubt that your player may not be able to play RCE DVD’s, we recommend that you do not order this title, as we are unable to accept returned RCE DVD’s" and I don't want to waste about £20 if it won't work.

Can anybody state definitively that the current 3910 MR firmware can or can not playback RCE discs? If anybody specifically has the R1 Hellboy CE working then that's good enough for me just now :)

Thanks in advance,

Colin

P.S. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - tried searching the AVF forums and Google but couldn't find a simple answer :(

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Cant say for sure, but I have yet to experience a DVD not play on my 3910 with MR Firmware. I regularly import DVDs from the US and also watch lots of japanese R2 Disks. Never had a disk not play! Havent tried Hell boy though.

3. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    My R1 Hellboy (Standard Edition) is also RCE encoded. Plays fine on my 3910 (also purchased December form Sevenoaks with MR firmware upgrade).

4. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks AML and HeweyBoy101,

That's great news although I think my other half was hoping you'd say RCE discs didn't work - I'm off to spend next month's wages on new DVDs :)

Cheers,

Colin

5. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Colin,

My 3910 plays all my RCE discs effortlessly. Only R1 discs it doesnt like is The Grudge, dont know why. Just wont play.