3910 - HDMI digital settings

Tony B

I have a 3910 and have been using DVI to my TV for ages with no problem (well not entirely problem-free but that is for another thread). Having recently bought an HDMI switcher I have now started to use the HDMI port on the DVD, but it seems only to be outputting analog. Either Component or RGB. The only other option is "HDMI/DVI off"

There does not seem to be any other signal, and I cannot see a way of enabling digital output via this port.

Am I missing something in the set-up menus which will enable disable HDMI digital?

Or am I getting myself totally confused?

TIA

Tony B

Miniholic

Tony, all signals over HDMI are digital. The 3910 can output both component and RGB on HDMI - DVI outputs RGB only. The player offers a choice, simply select which you believe gives the best result.

To add to the confusion, you can then use the HDMI format to select 480p/576P, 720P or 1080i signals.

Tony B

Tony, all signals over HDMI are digital. The 3910 can output both component and RGB on HDMI - DVI outputs RGB only. The player offers a choice, simply select which you believe gives the best result.

To add to the confusion, you can then use the HDMI format to select 480p/576P, 720P or 1080i signals.

Aha.

I had assumed that Component and RGB were analog (as DVI-I can accept these as analog signals) and did not realise that they are purely digital via HDMI.

Your second point, about the formats, actually touches upon my other problem. In order to get the largest image size I tend to use 1080i outputs (my TV is 768 lines and 1:1 pixel maps when receiving 720p, leaving annoying borders around the screen). This choice is fine when receiving signals from my HD sat receiver, and from an upscaling DVD recorder, but when using the Denon in this way I get a very annoying flicker roughly every 10 seconds.

This does not happen when the 3910 outputs 720p however.

I have emailed Denon but they have not responded yet.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom