3910 - demons laid to rest?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by eggybread, Sep 23, 2004.

1. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm choosing between the pioneer 868 and denon 3910. Have seen the 868 (v. impressive detail PQ), but have yet to see a 3910, though the forums posts here seem to be pointing to it being at least as good PQ as the 868 and better sound.

Now that a few people have had a 3910 for a while, how are they finding:

: reliability

my sevenoaks is getting 3910s in, but he is recommending 868's as they are 'bulletproof' and never break. denon has a track record of 'issues'.

: compatibility?

i hear that some discs just dont play in the 3910, or freeze halfway through

: macroblocking issue

a few people on the forum are saying it is finally fixed in the 3910 now. is this so?

I know that Barend is going to do a 'battle review: 868 vs 3910' later, so many of these questions will probably be answered in that.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I'm not sure the 3910 has been around long enough to knwo to be honest.

As for the dealer's comment - I wonder if he a) has more margin in Pioneer, b) would have said the same if he had any 3910's there and then and you were buying that day and c) whether Denon would be interested to hear what he has to say.

I'm always deeply suspcicious of a dealer slagging one product over another when he stocks both, particularly in this case as he hasn't even had any 3910's in yet.

3. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    8) I wouldn't go so far to say he was slagging off the 3910, he was noting that he had more callbacks on Denon products in general than Pioneer. This seems to match up with general feeling on the the forums about reliability with Denons.

From what some of the guys with 3910's have said recently its looking promising on that front though.

You may have a point on his Pioneer favouritism, but this places stocks loads of different makes of a variety of equipment.

Will be interesting to see what the other forum posters have say about the 3910, but it is quite early days yet as you say.

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    eggybread

I wouldn't worry about the reliabily of Deno products (or Pioneer for that matter).

I've got a Denon CD player that was bought in 1989 which is still in use and a DVD player that is nearly 6 years old that works fine despite the best efforts of my son! :thumbsup:

5. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a 3910, so if you live in Kent, come and have a look. BTW Peter Tyson sell it for £799 inc MR, but are waiting for the mod disk.

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Most Denon gear is great, but they really haven't got the hang of DVD players and they really do have a history of problems.
    I have a Denon DVD-A1 which cost £2500, and even that has 'issues'.

6 years ago, Denon didn't make DVD players themselves and in fact just re-badged a Panasonic design with a few audio tweaks.
    This would explain why Denon players of old don't suffer the same problems.

They just can't get their players firmware right.

Pioneer have always made their own players, but their early players (DV505, 515 & 717) had bad lip-sync issues.
    Fortunately, Pioneer players since have no problems and are considered to be very reliable.

I'd be very cautious about buying a Denon DVD player again without proven reliablility. But I'd buy a Pioneer 868 tomorrow if I could justify the expenditure.