1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3910/3805 v 868/AX5Ai

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sjb, Oct 30, 2004.

1. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi ,

I've decided to order a Pioneer 435XDE plasma - need to decide what dvd/receiver will suit my setup best . Will also be getting a DLP projector so, would prefer HDMI/DVI output to both displays if possible.

The 3910 has both outputs - just slightly concerned about macroblocking and reliabilty .

The 868 only has HDMI output so , would need a switcher between plasma or projector .

Would appreciate your opinions on best setup :lease:

Stan.

P.S. speakers are KEF 9000 fronts and 5001 surrounds .

2. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would get the 3910 & AX5ai if it were me... You retain the possibility for two outputs from the DVD player (no switcher required) and also the ability to use iLink into the AX5ai.

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm currently considering Denon 3910 or Pioneer 868 or Arcam DV79. Went into my local Sevenoaks to try and arrange a loan and saw three 3910s boxed and stacked, so I thought excellent they've got plenty in - no problem for a loan.

Nope.

All three were returns from customers with problems with them. 3 out of 5 sold so far have gone tits up! :oops:

The staff were most displeased to say the least having had customers screaming :censored: at them after spending a good chunk of their hard earned on the 3910.

Their verdict was that it is a superb machine when it's working! Still got an 868 and 3910 booked to come home with me on Thursday! Marvellous! :clap:

Just hope the 3910 works!

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,715
    If you can pick up a copy of 'The hole' starring Thora Birch, excellent disc to show up the problems with the 3910. I auditioned the 3910 and Arcam DV79 at Sevenoaks Hull a few weeks ago and the 3910 was awful in comparison. At the start of that film there was blocking in the background, also on the walls of the room where Thora birch is talking to another woman about 5 or so minutes in there was blockiness on the wall. The Arcam was clean as a whistle (as it my Pioneer 868). I wouldn't get a Denon dvd player until this problem is put to bed... To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to connect a dvd player to a plasma via HDMI/DVI, a good component output looks bloody good anyway on a plasma, if the main movie viewing is going to be done on the projector then that's where it's more important to use the HDMI or DVI output if you can. The 868 is a very nice player and would get my vote over the 3910 from the evidence I've seen so far...

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The 868 is a very nice player and would get my vote over the 3910 from the evidence I've seen so far...

Cheers,
    Andy.[/QUOTE]

Andy

I was wondering whether you were going to change your 868 for the DV79 having auditioned them or whether there was a much of a difference?

Henry

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The build quality of the Denon outperforms the Pioneer far.

You can't really compare Denon with Pioneer, it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Fiat.

Denon is highend, the Pioneer is more like midrange with plastics all over, the Denon is metal all over the chassis.

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    But if the Fiat out performs the Merc ;)

I'm sticking with my 868 after looking at the 3910 :D

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    in the picture stakes i got rid of the 868 for the 3910.
    dont see the macroblocking effect with The Hole as described here, all i see is a extremly well detailed pic that has bettered all my previous dvd players and that includeds the Denon A11 which does have the Macro blocking effect described here.
    Considering also i went through 3 868is i would not complain about the reliability of the denon which is working flawlessly.
    Maybe im lucky or just know what MB realy is after owning the A11 but the 3910 i have is MB free. I have tried all the discs that had awfull MB on the A11 and can report that there are no problems with my 3910 on ANY of the discs.

It is also worth saying that via HDMI, there is not that much difference between all 3 units, at the end of the day they are all digital signals so do not suffer the same way as say an analog stage would. However the analog outputs of the 3910 and denon79 are clear winners over the not so good output of the pioneer

3910 is also a better audio performer, as my unit is bedding in,(although arcam is a little better with regular CD) it keeps getting better. Im well pleased i got shot of the 868i which has a few issues of its own.

Good luck with the choice

9. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    3 868's :eek:

What you doing with them? :D

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    1st 1 DOA

2nd 1 the drives packed up(grating noise)

3rd was AOK and the goodthing with the pios is they play anything and everything and there is no firmware hassles like u get with Denon and somtimes Arcam

11. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    So why change to the 3910 mate? :)

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Because its the better product.

Pic quality is better, no chroma bug in progressive(although only evident in a few titles), sound quality is superior.TBH i had a few problems getting the A11 right, and i havent had the same problem with the 3910, it has been quite hassle free which might be a first for Denon. And for £799 its so cheap. Had to flash the firmware myself which is a pain but very easy if you are computer savy.

But when all is said it is persomal preference, all 3 mentioned units are much better than a £200 quid joby and are all in the same ball park. And if the thread starter has a pio plasma as well id lean to keeping it all pioneer.

13. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi SJB

Any issues with the 3910 must have been dealt with, (or im lucky) as i have had no problems whatsoever with it. No macroblocking at all. The picture is quite simply amazing.. I as with many other happy owners are shocked everytime I put a good disc in and watch...

If your really concerned about the issues people have previously raised, do as should be done and sit down in a demo room or better still your own room for a night with each player. try everything and see what you think. and let us know.
    The Pio 434 looks fantastic via HDMI (better than component, although thats exc to) and I believe the 3910 will output both HDMI and DVI without switching req.

CH

ps. the sound out the 3910 into the 3805 via Denons DLINK is excellent too. I have KEF THX speakers on the end of them and its a BIG FAST DYNAMIC and WEIGHTY!!!

I think you can output sound via the 3910 to the Pio receiver but the manual says to check with the receiver manufacturer as its not guarenteed. It has IEE 1394 and DLINK outputs (and the leads are included in the box!!)

14. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Another happy 3910 owner, I've only seem one case of macroblocking and thats on the ediko logo at the start of hero, nowhere else in that film (or any other) have I seen it.

15. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I've got no qualms about the 868's build quality,or performance for that matter.I get excellent results out of mine,and I'm more than happy with it.

16. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all the replies - given me plenty to consider :)

Looks like the best thing to do next is try both players and decide which i prefer . From your comments , both players have "issues" and it's a case of which ones you're prepared to live with .

Mr Wilby - hadn't really thought about mixing makes of dvd/rec. - I take it you'd prefer Ilink to Denonlink .

Henry - would appreciate it if you could post your opinions of the players once you've tested them :thumbsup:

Zandy1 - will keep your comments in mind when i test the 3910. As for the outputs - the picture on the 435XDE is , IMHO best via HDMI ( and i don't like to settle for 2nd best :rolleyes: ) but i know what you're saying re- the projector - my screen is 8ft wide so I'll definitely use HDMI/DVI there .

Lizard - slightly unfortunate choice of cars there mate :laugh: .
    Front page article in the FT last Friday - Mercedes 3rd quarter profits fell 62 percent on last year - the reason :D - persistent poor quality :laugh: .

Gandley - As I'm getting a Pio plasma you'd lean towards keeping it all Pioneer - any particular reason .

Must admit , I'm leaning towards the 3910 - but I'll reserve judgement untill I've tried both.

Thanks again ,

Stan.

17. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    sjb, I only mentioned iLink mix 'n match because Denon still have to get approval to allow SACD over Denon Link whereas Pioneer have had it running over iLink for ages. It depends on whether that is important to you (most likely not!)

I would also feel happier about iLink because its something of an open standard, whereas Denon Link is very much closed.

Also, and subjectively, even if the Denon is built like a tank, I'm afraid to say I think it looks like one too. The Pioneer styling is easier on my eyes.

18. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    There is one huge advantage of the 868i and thats its ability to pass a HDMI interlaced signal. Its only realy worth having if you plan to add a scaler-deinterlacer at a later date and is still not quite as pure as say SDI but close enough.

I say keep it all pioneer for convience realy. The overall package quality is very high, as the pio screens are some of the best as we know, there amps surround performance are awesome, and musical quality keeps getting better.

The dvd player is amoung the top5 beautys without having to spend ^upward of £1500.

And i guess if you get it all at once a discount would be in order.(or some freebees)
    That said the 3910 wont hurt the install either.

Have fun with the demo, and be advised that with the dvd players yoour lookin for fine details that some wont even see(i have an 8ft screen so issues tend to slap u in the face where as a small screen tends to hide those issues less u get right up to the screen)

Also check the layer changes if that bothers u.
    judder with pal material when in prog mode etc