3805 with diff. ohm speakers

abnorm

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased Denon 3805. I read in the manual that hooking up speakers with different ohm rating will cause damage. I currently have Monitor Audio S1s as mains (6 ohms) and would like to hook up my Alesis Monitor Ones MK2s as "B" speakers or as rear surrounds. Will this cause damage to my receiver?

I've used different 4/6/8 Ohm rated speakers with all my Amp's/Receiver's (Yamaha & Denon) and never had any problems. :)

used my 3802 for over 2 years with 4ohm speakers never had any problems, noe using 3805 with the same 4ohm speakers

Sorry, I meant running two 6ohm speakers and two 4ohm speakers at the same time!

Sorry, I meant running two 6ohm speakers and two 4ohm speakers at the same time!
Should still be no problem. Different impedances don't really matter; as long as the amp can cope with the load you are safe.

As the other replies suggest you'll have no difficulty with 4/6/8 ohm speakers except in one particular instance.

The receiver set up allows for two positions of surround speaker, A and B. These can be used independently (e.g. A for film and B for surround sound music) or together (A+B for both, which, incidentally, is the configuration I use). If this latter option is chosen one must use a minimum 8 ohm speaker or damage to the amp could ensue.

With two 8 ohm speakers in parallel the amplifier is effectively "seeing" 4 ohms, so anything lower than 8 ohm would begin to stress it; i.e. a 6 and 4 ohm speaker in parallel is effectively a nominal 2.4 ohm load. Definitely a mix to avoid.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom