1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3805 vs 3802 for 2 channel much differance??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Jun 10, 2004.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all has anyone had the chance to dem the 3805 vs 3802 for 2 channel sterio and is there a notible improvement or differance, i have only heard the 2803 with dyns ,but not in direct comparison to 3802 ,and the 2803 is a cheaper reciever.

thank you

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Mick23 - I can say that IMHO there is a substantial difference between the two - I can only speak from my own experience as I have them both (having just upgraded and not yet decided what to do with my 3802). With my 3802 I had the front pre-outs to a Nad C370, and for two channel use I wouldn't have considered even using the 3802 (my CD player is connected directly to the Nad). However, the 3805 is in a different league.

I now use my 3805 for two channel use and would say that it's as good as the Nad (sorry if that's offensive to any hi-fi fans out there, I can only report as to what my own ears tell me!). The performance is improved significantly (and I mean it jumps out at you) when using the "pure direct" function, which switches off the video circuitry (including the display panel). When you consider the rest of the differences the 3805 gives over the 3802, which I'm sure you're well aware of (although I have to say that the auto calibration did for me in five minutes what I never got right in two years of tweaking with my 3802).

Hope this helps....

3. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mick,
    I too have replaced a 3802 with a 3805 and there is a huge difference. Whether it be 2 channel pure direct mode, or the new DTS NEO 6 7.1 mode it is a great improvement over the 3802.
    I'm no stereo expert but I do a lot of DJing (House, Breakbeat,Techno etc) and listening to mix cd's where the fast basslines would sometimes trip up my 3802 the 3805 handles it superbly. Theres also loads more tweakabilty with the 3805 if you want it! If not let the auto calibration take care of it!

Regards,
    Dave :cool: