1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3805 speaker sizes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Roguey, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi, i have a pair of kef Q7's, an Q9c, Paragidm PW-2200 (sub) and an denon 3805 reciever. I have wondered if worth setting the front main speakers (Q7's) to large or small. I have often thought that with a sub they should be set to small, and let all low hz to the sub. However playing with some settings, and the Q7 seam to do some bass too, and what i consider large speakers (Uni-Q with 8" passive woofer).

my question is this - is it worth setting an large speaker (such like an Q7) to large or small on the reciever (with an subwoofer)? - is there less strain on the reciever when set to small? ie. better maybe less drop in wattage of power? less chance to damage the main speakers?

many thanks for ur time and help

- Roguey

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    TBH there are no real hard & fast rules on the settings for speaker size. You should try different settings and stay with what sounds best to you.
    The receiver will be doing more work with the speakers set to large as the internal amps will be working with more bass. If set to small then all bass would be sent to the sub with its own internal amp, this leave the receiver more headroom to work with the midrange & treble. Either way should not cause any damage to either the speakers or the receiver.

Mark.

3. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i let the 3805 set up my speakers with the auto calibration, i use mk k17s at the front although they are quite small, on auto they were set to large by the 3805, tried them on my previous amp the 3802 on both small and large and prefered the setting at large, all down to personal choice

4. Calleva

Calleva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Large and Small seem to be a bit misleading as descriptions for the settings!

Denon explained it in simple terms to me as follows;

Use the Large setting if your speakers are also sold as 2 channel HiFi speakers (Because that will mean they were designed to reproduce a full frequency range).

Use the Small setting if your speakers are only available as a sub/sat package (Because this means they were designed to share the frequency range between speaker and sub).

The reasoning is that in the Small setting, the lower frequencies (not just normal sub-woofer low!) are cut from the normal Left/Right etc.. outputs and are added to the LFE channel.

So, using KEF as an example -

Use Large for the Q series, XQ series and Reference series.

Use Small for 1005 and 2005 series

I have Q1 for L,R,SR,SL; Q9C centre and a 2005.2 egg for Surround back and have all the Q1's set to Large and the egg which is small (there was even a note in the box stating that this is how the egg should be set).

At the end of the day though, set it how you like it - 'cos it's your enjoyment that matters!

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    :eek:

I'm pretty sure (really really sure!) that you should set the K17s to SMALL with a crossover set to 80Hz at which point your SUB will take over.

What sub do you have?

6. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ah i see, so speakers which are only avaible in a kit (with subwoofer) should be set to small, otherwise up to the user.

when they set to large, is there any benefits from it (with subwoofer)? and what would this do exculty in movies and music (with subwoofer)?

with the k17's they do look like a sat thing to me (read somewhere 80hz response), however theses speakers like Q7 etc. u are looking around 35hz repsonse

many thanks

- Roguey

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very few speakers (very large and expensive), are really full-range, so all home friendly speakers should be set as small, even floorstanders, as a bonus it saves some power from the receiver, as someone already mentioned... :lesson:

Of course if you amp does poor bass management or your sub is not up to the task, you may get better sound with the speakers as large... :rolleyes:

8. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    do u therefor recommand setting the crossover of floor stands etc. to 80hz? and use them as small

9. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am using a mk v100 sub with k4 tripoles for the rear surrounds

10. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also i am sure it said in the 3805 set up it does detect the freqency range of each speaker so if k17s are not full frequency why did it set them at latge

11. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    seems like the auto-setup is falsely detecting the M&Ks - check the spec on them and you'll see they reproduce anything from 80Hz up, also I'm pretty sure that somewhere on the manual it'll say to set them to SMALL !!

Did you actually try setting them all to small & crossover at 80hz (maybe 100hz) using the 3805?

Oh! wait a sec! how's your sub connected to the amp!???

12. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    via a phono lead

13. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    nah - ok false alarm, was thinking it was connected via high-level (and that would mean SPKRS set to LARGE)

so as we where saying before - I would set them all to small (fronts & rears) cross them at the 80 to 100 range and have a go at listening to them! you should get much better sound in music (stereo), and movies i'd say too!

but at the end set it to what sounds good to you!

14. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bear in mind i am no expert, but have just had some replies in the speaker section confirming what you are saying will set them to small tonight and try them, thanks for the info john

15. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    80hz might be too high with just one subwoofer, particularly if the xover has a slope less than 24db, I would use 60hz for those speakers...

My front speakers go down to 35hz and I use the xover at 80hz, before I used 60hz, but as I have two subs it works fine at 80hz, can´t "hear" the subs...

16. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what should i set my sub at if i use my speakers on the small setting should i experiment with it, on the mk site it recomends 85hz if you dont want to play about with the settings, it also says on there set speakers on small when using as a surround set-up mine has been set on large since i bought them along with my 3802 it was set up by a well none hi fi shop in rayleigh ( essex ) mind you i should have known better as they told me my rear centre speaker was working when it was'nt even connected to the amp

17. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lowrider can you explain to me why you need differant settings for the crossovers depending on if you are using one or two subs as i say i am no expert on this subject

18. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just checked my speaker settings they are set to small, sub is set to 80hz at the moment will play about with this if i feel i need to

19. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should my vx100 be set to variable or by-pass not sure if the 3805 has a low pass filter built in, seem to get more bass when on by-pass setting