1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3805 humming

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PS t, Jul 31, 2005.

1. PS t

PS t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 3805 with Paradigm Reference CC-470, Studio ADP's, and Wharfedale Vanguard front towers (old school). I just connected the Paradigm Seismic 12, using Ultralink's Challenger series sub-cable. I've also just connected all equipment through Monster Cable's HT850 power/surge bar. Now I hear a "humming" coming from the front LR. The volume is turned all the way down, and the humming is still present (not loud though) regardless of whether the 3805 is set to DVD or tuner.

Is this normal? When I unplug the sub-cable, the humming is gone. Or is my new sub and/or cable got issues? Could it be the power bar?

Help

pst

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What is the Earth pin on your sub? Plastic or metal?

3. PS t

PS t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Eddy,
    There is no apparent earth pin, just the screws for the back plate. Although I do have good news...I decided to remove all power cables/interconnects/speakers, except the sub connection. then I reconnected each interconnect and found that the VCR, TV in, and the damn CATV coax, ALL created the humming. I'm guessing it is actually only the CATV line as it orginates on the other side of the house, and has another 4m coiled up behind the TV. I am currently thinking, "screw the TV/VCR connection to the amp since those aren't really digital anyways"...unless there's some quickie filter I can pick up at Radio Shack??
    PSt

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You said its coiled up? what happens if you uncoil it?

5. PS t

PS t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is at least 15ft coiled up...anyways, after routing the cable thru the filtered CATV connections on a Monster Powerbar, the humming is gone!! Thanks again for your advice - I'll also try to shorten the cable run some how.