1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3805 - enough grunt?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by punkjr, Oct 21, 2005.

1. punkjr

punkjr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue for me? i have ordered a 3805 and now i'm looking at getting some stereo loudspeakers. the system will be used for 50/50 ht and music. the speakers are krix symphonix (4ohm, 92db @ 1m, 150w). my room is small/medium. will the denon have enough grunt or do i need to run a power amp aswell?
    thanks
    tom :lease:

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    One thing that you might want to worry abot is that the 3805 has a 6ohm min rating. So a power amp which is rated for 4 ohms may be a good idea. Check if Krix do a frequency against impedance chart for the speakers. if the impedance drops really low at certain points you could have problems.

3. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'd get the 3806, the replacement model for the 3805. Although it has the same power rating, you can bi-amp your speakers freely, which makes it easier for the amp to cope with the 4Ohm speakers. However, this means you can only have a 5.1 setup and not 7.1. The 3806 should be out in a few weeks.

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,861
    I've bi-amp'd my 3805 with no problems. However, although the amps can deliver dynamically "240 W x 2 ch (2 Ω/ohms)" I would not be confident about driving the amplifiers continuously into 4Ω.. May be worth asking Denon?

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,861
    .... forgot to say, that I drive my 8Ω speakers ( minimum 3Ω ) in my large lounge and belive me, the 3805 has plenty of grunt.

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    punkjr, I have read around a couple of US sites like secrets and audioholics (the land where 4 ohms is much more common) and the vast majority seem to support the 3805's ability to drive 4 ohms due to its particularly good design and power supplies. Caveats are that you are careful about ventilation as it is heat that will activate the 3805's protective response. The 3805 delivered over 200 watts into 4 ohms stereo on the test bench. It has no shortage of grunt there, but it may be prudent to plan for a 2 channel power amp down the line.

Mine drives 6 ohm front threes.

7. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been using my 3805 to drive 4ohm speakers for about a year with no problems also used 3802 before this for approx 2 1/2 years driving the same speakers also without any worries at all

8. punkjr

punkjr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i think then it will run the symphonix ok but i will take your advice Monkey and buy an extra amp. any idea of what power i should be looking for in a 2 channel amp?

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Well the spec of the speakers should be your guide, the amp should be properly rated at 4 ohms.

10. punkjr

punkjr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    monkey does the NAD C272 Power Amplifier sound like a good choice? can anyone tell me if it accepts banana plugs? thanks.
    tom

11. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I spoke to denon before buying a 3803 and they told me it will be no trouble for the amp to drive 4 ohm speakers. In fact he told me they use the same 4 ohm kef speakers I have in a test set up. I got it from the horses mouth and have not had any trouble at all. My speakers are kef reference 2 rated 200W @ 4 omh's and I drive the kef reference 200C centre as well rated 200W @4 ohm's and my rears are 4 ohm's as well.

12. punkjr

punkjr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    potshot thanks for the info. it sounds like the 3805 will run my speakers no problems but i am keen to get a power amp now just to get better sound.

13. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    It looks like it should do the job just fine, but be sure to test the elements to ensure they work well together.