1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3805 average volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Roguey, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi, i got an new 3805 and wondering what is the average volume people set it to? so far it looks around -10db for flims, plus mine only goes upto +6db top, how come?

many thanks

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You can't really compare the dB levels reported by the Amp unless you are listening with the same speakers as the other person. The output sensitivity and impedience of the speakers will affect the actual volume produced.

3. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    depends on how you have set up your channel levels. assuming that the highest volume on the 3805 is +12db and you have set the channel level for your centre speakers at +8 db then the highest volume your receiver can go to is +4 db.

I had a 3801 and i was stumped for a while until i read the manuals!!

So the for is quite straight forward. Maximum volume= +12db -( any db's set for any of the six channel )

Hope this helps

4. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ah, i saw them set to +12db front/left/center so i put them back to 0db, should i leave it at +12db for each channel then? is that ok?

i noticed my direct mode was louder, looks like i had it at +12db /channel and the dvd and that not.

5. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    that ok,you can leave it at 12 db for all channels. You should set the channel level to any level that is suitable for your setup.

6. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ah, thanks.. so with the max volume saying its max is +6db and all channels set to +12db (minus the subwoofer) then what would u say is the max volume before it might get into overdriving (master vol)? 0db vol? higher? lower? (ie. what volume should i say is its very max? even if it can go higher)

i think that made sense? lol

thanks for ur help :)

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have the 3802, the max volume is + 18 db with the speakers at 0 in the level set up.
    So if one speaker is set above 0 it drops the max level.
    What you need to do is set the levels using a sound meter. This will compensate for different speakers, you set the levels to attain a neutral recording. This may mean a different setting for each speaker to attain this.

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Yes you can you need to set the levels up with a spl meter so that 0db is at reference level,do a search there's plenty on this subject.Saying that you listen at -10db means nothing unless you have set the levels up correctly.I very rarely go past -25 when watching dvd's unless i'm showing off to friends.The numbers on the front mean nothing unless you set them up to mean something.