3805 auto setup help

eric2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've recently bought the 3805 amp and tonight started the auto setup.
I have a 5.1 speaker system and all seemed to be going well, but when it came to checking the measurement results I can not see any of the measurements. I'm finding the manual awful. It looks like in the manual you should see a little diagram of the room setup with the measurements. I'm not sure if this diagram is something you should be able to see on the amps screen or whether this is just to help the reader but I can't see the results either?

A couple of other points - When I first turned the amp on a few days ago, before I had plugged in the surrounds and sub, - the display showed I had a FL and FR and SW connected even thought I only had the 2 front speakers connected it showed I had a sub connected on the display. Is this normal?

When I turn the function knob it makes a clicking noise, again is this normal?

Your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks Eric2

ok reading the :rtfm: further looks like you can see the display with a monitor. As I have a Philips 9509 5 meters away, looks like I will have to buy a 5mtr S-Video lead. Seems mad you can not see all the settings on the amp without a monitor, or am I missing something obvious?

I have the 2805 and this is same, you ideally need monitor to help with navigation on menus. It is possible to get nearly all on amp screen but you need to know when to press what to get to what you want, on screen is better laid out.

The 3805 is a HT amp, so usually it would be connected to a monitor/plasma TV...

eric2 said:
ok reading the :rtfm: further looks like you can see the display with a monitor. As I have a Philips 9509 5 meters away, looks like I will have to buy a 5mtr S-Video lead. Seems mad you can not see all the settings on the amp without a monitor, or am I missing something obvious?

Eric2, if you have a portable TV with a composite input you could use this with the Denon supplied monitor lead for set up purposes. Its a pain but at least it saves you buying a lead.

On a slightly different point I found the auto set-up to give varying results - make sure you check the sound levels with a meter after auto-setup as I found some of the speakers were 1-2dB out

Thanks for the replys.

Unfortunately I don't have a portable TV so a S-video lead looks the best bet. At least I can leave it contacted then.

Anyone have the clicking noise when turning the function button, wondered if that was normal?

eric2 said:
Anyone have the clicking noise when turning the function button, wondered if that was normal?

Yes. It's normal. It's just the relay circuits.

I was able to buy a S-video lead on the way home last night. Life is so much easier now I can see all the menus :)

This is my first AV setup. I'm using Kef Q4's for FL and FR and 5005's for the centre and surrounds. Also using a Rel Stampede for the sub (would be interesting to know what your settings are on this Simonn5).

The results:

Front speakers: Large
Centre: Small
Subwoofer: Yes (My first attempt this said None?)
Sp A: Small

The delay time check was fairly accurate, but I did reduce the measurements manually slightly after I had stored the auto setup. The L and R speakers are equally apart but the auto setup made them slightly different.

The Channel level check, I do not understand how this works, so have no idea whether this Is correct or not:
FL: -2.5
FR: -3.0 (should this be the same as the FL now I have manually changed the dealy time to be the same?)
Centre: 5.5
Sub: 7.5
SLA: 0.5
SRA: 1.0

eric2 said:
The delay time check was fairly accurate, but I did reduce the measurements manually slightly after I had stored the auto setup. The L and R speakers are equally apart but the auto setup made them slightly different.

Note that the distance 'apart' (if I understand you correctly) is irrelevant - what matters is the precise distance they are from the microphone at the time you did auto setup - if you have the microphone exactly the same distance from each speaker then yes they should then be the same.

For the -2.5 and -3 dB readings - distance here will not be the only factor - other factors within your room, furnishings, floor coverings can affect this. The settings are designed to give the same decibel reading from each speaker - you can test with an SPL meter if you wish.

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks.

The L and R speakers are in different positions in the room, so that could allow for the channel level differences (ie furniture etc as you said). But as I manually changed the delay distance I wasn't sure if the amp would allow for these changes on the channels. As the changes were minor I'm sure it would not make to much difference.

I measured manually from the microphone to the L and R speakers, and the distance was the same.

Its the sub I need to master tonight, I'm sure I can improve on these settings as I didn't have much time to play around with this. Then again I have have no idea what I'm doing!

Hi!

Ordered a 2805 today, just wondering how long the cable of the microphone is? Denon recommend placing the microphone at the listening position, I hope the cable is a few metres then!

Cheers,
John

I'm not at home to give you a exact measurement, but its very long.
Yesterday I had it stretched about 3m and there was plenty left.

Have had my 3805 for a few months now and not ONCE have I been abl to get it to AUTO SETUP without the "out of phase" error

I sit about 10 foot away and the mic easliy reaches this plus more I would say its about 12-13 feet in lenght

Mose said:
Have had my 3805 for a few months now and not ONCE have I been abl to get it to AUTO SETUP without the "out of phase" error
Do you have Tri-pole or bi-polar speakers in your setup?

If so that would account for the "out of phase" problem. Ignore it :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom