1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3805 and video up conversion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by john R1, Nov 3, 2004.

1. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am i right in thinking if i plug my telewest box via scart-composite into 3805 and output via component out the signal will only be as good as the input signal ie composite, if so what is the best solution for plugging my telewest box into the 3805 bearing in mind i need to output only component for when i put plasma up on the wall

2. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    For me, the best solution for feeding Sky+ into my 3805 was to use a JS Technology RGB SCART -> component convertor for the RGB SCART output from my Sky+ box.

This was the best I could get from Sky+ this side of a version with a component video output built-in.

Otherwise, if you feed a composite or svideo connection in, don't expect any magical picture quality improvement on the way out as component.

3. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    If there was a scart card in the plasma, could you use the scart out of the sky+ box straight into the plasma. If this was done, would it be as good as a converted signal from scart->component. Surely, converting RGB Scart to Component is not going to improve the signal from the original scart signal (is it). Obviuosly, you would lose the video switching doing it this way and its assuming you have a scart card. I am about to buy a Pana W7 plasma and it comes with a scart card so might try this technique as i cannot see a conversion to component being any better quality.

4. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    What you are suggesting will give you a better picture quality rather than straight scart composite into the plasma. However it is still pretty crap (I know I've tried). I would suggest doing the following:

Telewest -> RGB scart lead -> SCART / Component convertor -> 3805

That does leave a problem of sound. On my NTL box the 2nd scart actually outputted sound at the same time as the primary scart. So I just fed that scart (sound) only into the amp. Unless telewest has phono sound out this maybe the way to go. Before taking this step make sure you can seperate sound and video signals from your telewest box.

5. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    telewest box does have seperate phono out connection, which i am using at the moment with scart lead straight into pwb6 for picture, im looking to the future when i put plasma on the wall as i only want to run 1 x component lead from 3805 into pw6b, i know i could by a long scart lead as well as the component lead but would rather do it with one lead

6. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say that I am confused by this one.....

If you put and "S" lead into the 3805 it upconverts it to component. Putting another box in the way that does the same thing before the 3805 surely cannot magically improve things? The only reason I can see to do this, is if the RGB signal (via scart) out of Sky+ is so much better than the "S" out.

I'd be very interested for me, as I project sky+ onto 7ft screen....and anything that can make the picture better is worth doing....

7. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John R1, I have a 3805 arriving tomorrow :D :D :D and I have gone down the following route:

Sky to JS Technologies RGB to Component converter, converter to Denon RCA Component in, RCA Component out of Denon and into P7 Plasma via BNC Component In.

As Fax suggestion, 1 cable from denon to plasma... I have already bought all of the kit for this and I have seen my mates P6 running this set-up (the JS Tech option) and the picture Quality is S :censored: T HOT!!!

Trust me, the JS Tech box is only £150 or so off AV Sales, superb and discrete (you don't want your install to look like Tandy's shop window - plasma's on the wall are for a contemporary, minimalist look in my opinion - only an opinion).

Hope this helps.

You got an X Box? If you get an AV Pack (official X Box product) you can get component out of that and in combo with an Optical lead you will be able to upscale Pic Quality on Xbox via Denon with no JS Tech bos - that's why I went for Denon 3805 - Bring it on... P.S. The Optic cable gives full 5.1 DTS sound also, can't wait to wire up Conflict Vietnam.

8. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replys my 3805 is still n the box only arrived tuesday, my posting was for in the future when i hang it on the wall, at the moment when i rig it up, it will be dvd via component into pw6 and telewest box into pw6 via the scart connections as it is at the moment with my 3802

9. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Careful there - upconversion & conversion is not the same thing !!

The 3805 will upconvert any 'inferior' signal to component, but the quality will remain unchanged (hopefully not worse!) - so if you upconvert composite to component you'll still have the picture quality of composite.

Converting an RGB signal (from your RGB scart) to Component is almost (I said ALMOST) a strait conversion - the quality will be that of RBG, which is so very close to component in the first place!

So if you Sky+ box has proper RGB output it will be way ahead in quality to the upconverted "S" out!

10. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have taken the plunge and gone and bought myself a JS technology RGB to Component box....which I ordered after reading this thread. I gave them a ring and they were extremely helpful. By the magic that is the Post office, the box arrived this morning.....Now that's service!!! All I'm missing now is one of Mark Grant's component cables and I'm set!! :)

11. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I disagree completely with sniper - I have tried this and (IMO)you visually get a much better picture via the denon amp when upconverting. I don't pretend to know the in and outs of how it works, just what I see on the screen.

12. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    what have you tried exactly? just curious!

13. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sniper,

I had a composite / svideo board for the panel and connected directly into that from the NTL box.

I then upgraded to 3803 and bought a component board. I still fed in composite from NTL to the 3803 and PQ was vastly improved. NOT brilliant by any strech of the imagination but better than it was.

Then of course I purchased a decent RGB scart and scart -> component convertor (not the JS Tech one, the other cheapy one) and the PQ is stunning.

I take your point, I'd thought it would just switch but I just reporting what I have seen.. I would say go for the scart -> component convertor everytime.