3805 And 4 ohm Loads

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by john R1, Apr 9, 2004.

1. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have read some threads saying 3805 seems ok at driving 4 ohm loads, am using a 3802 at the moment and it seems a bit lacking driving my mk k17s & k4s is the 3805 more powerfull am thinking of changing my amp/receiver in the next couple of months for 3805 or avr 300 which unlike the denon quotes an output for 4ohm speakers

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Or you could add an integrated amp to drive your fronts leaving the 3802 to drive the rest and also get the benefit off improved stereo for music:)
    My 3802 wasn't good in stereo (imo) and did struggle a little with my 4 ohm Ninka's but adding the A75+ (and additional p80 later) improved things. So much so I invested in an £800 cdp (never thought I'd ever pay so much for one).
    Having the extra power to drive the fronts improved the dynamic of movie sound tracks too and since the denon only has to cope with (in my case) the other 4 speakers and sub copes much better:clap:

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could this be the reason why the LFE output on my 3801 is so overpowering? It's driving M & K LCR55's...the sub setting is at 75db on an SPL but during big action scenes 9opening battle in Master 7 Commander for eg) the bass is way over the top...could it be the amp struggling to keep uo with the subs internal amp. The sub is a paradigm PS1000 BTW.
    I'd rather change amp than speakers. For what I paid for the M&K's, I'd be pushed to get a bargain like that again...:cool:

4. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hi
    i am using a 3805 with kef thx system(all 4ohms), drives them well.
    one point, using auto setup set them to large but i used manual setup,set to small and the overall sound was better.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Not really sure to be honest my sub behaved itself even when my 3802 was dealing with all speakers. I can't imagine that it takes much power to just send an lfe signal to the sub:confused:
    Maybe you'll get some more constructive answers from the sub experts in the subwoofers section.:thumbsup:
    Maybe the 3801 is getting a bit long in the tooth and an upgrade is in order. You'll benefit from the newer sound formats (dplII etc) too which is a good thing imo.

6. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hawklord would agree with you about the 3802 not being very good in stereo, having said that was using a naim set up before perhaps thats the reason,

7. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When you guys used the amp for the fronts, is there any way to stop the amplification of the fronts on the Denon. I guess you connected the pre outs of the Denon to the amps, but won't the front channels still continue to amplify the sound even if you don't use it, thus taking up a bit of power?

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I think the denon auto detects the channels connected and thus if you have no speaker cable connected no power will be used on theses channels. So if your using preouts and driving the fronts with other amplification then it doesn't have to drive the fronts and will not have to sustain a load for these speakers.
    My fronts benefited from the extra power an integrated and power amp offer so it's a worthwhile upgrade anyhow imo:)
    I have recently bi-amped my fronts and have noticed great results from my Ninka's over bi-wiring. I would like to go one step further and make them active but haven't the funds at the moment:(

9. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My current set up consists of M&K K7s across the front K4 for the surrounds and a K9 sub. My reciever is the pioneer A5i. I am thinking of adding an extra pair of K4s for 7.1 sound. Can anyone tell me if i may be overloading the pioneer to much bearing in mind that the M&Ks are all 4 ohms and the pioneer only has a setting for 6 ohms. The pioneer drives the 5.1 set up fine but i am concerned i may be pushing it a bit to far. Any thoughts anyone

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Not had any experience with that amp I'm afraid. I would imagine it should be OK but I'd try and borrow some speakers from a dealer or someone with similar speakers. At least if you try before you buy you'll have piece of mind:)
    The addition of an integrated would help out though and you could use the spare channels to possibly bi-amp your centre.
    Having gone from an av amp to an av amp/integrated combo (P80 power amp also added later) the front two certainly benefit from the extra power available. (better control, depth, imaging - you get the idea)

:oops:

just had to add one of those new smileys:suicide:

11. jht

jht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is not necessary. No speakers connected is the same as connecting speakers with infinite impedance. Power P = (V^2) / R (resistance or impedance), if R = infinity, P = 0, so no power is drawn from these channels.

Jamie