Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

3803 video upconverter

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kota, Sep 25, 2003.

1. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Got a question for all you 3803 owners regarding this amp's PQ via its upconverter.

For lack of inputs on my PJ and also because I want to use two dvd players, I need to route one of the dvd's (Sony via component out into amp's component in) and Sat receiver with a JS RGB/S-Video box into the amp's DBS input.

I understand I would then get the S-Video signal from the Nokia upconverted to Y-U-V on my PJ by the 3803 but what I would really like to know is if instead of using the RGB/S-Video box and invested on the RGB-Component variety using the second component input of the amp would I get a much better picture ???

Sorry if this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything on the search I just did here in the forum.

Cheers,

Pedro

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    You should get a better PQ by converting RGB to component rather than RGB to S-Video. At this stage the signals are being converted and transfered at the best quality that connection offers. S-Video is a lower quality connection than component. Component & RGB are very similar in quality.
    When you plug an S-Video source into the 3803 it is converted, but not improved in any way, so the signal via the S-Video input on the 3803 will reach the PJ at the same quality as the origional S-Video signal and not at the quality of component.
    So in answer to your question, the component converter WOULD give a better PQ over the S-Video.

Mark.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I think I disagree, purely based on the visuals i can "see" on my panny5.

When I plug a S-Video direct to the panny5 the quality is good, but when fed via the 3803 and "up-converted" to component the quality is, to the naked eye, better. A good example is the legendary panny flicker - this virually disappers when I feed my NTL box via composite to the 3803 and it is up-converted to component. I'm sure if I could get my NTL box to go S-Video the flicker would disappear altogher. NTL composite direct to panny5 makes the picture almost unwatchable.

Never used RGB convertors and the like so wouldn't to comment - but converting the converted to the up converter.....

4. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    agree with FF, sky rgb converted to s-video is improved when fed again through my 3803 to component.

that said, do what mark says, and go straight to component.

5. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ... thanks guys :smashin:

Cheers,

Pedro