1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3803 video upconverter

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kota, Sep 25, 2003.

1. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Got a question for all you 3803 owners regarding this amp's PQ via its upconverter.

For lack of inputs on my PJ and also because I want to use two dvd players, I need to route one of the dvd's (Sony via component out into amp's component in) and Sat receiver with a JS RGB/S-Video box into the amp's DBS input.

I understand I would then get the S-Video signal from the Nokia upconverted to Y-U-V on my PJ by the 3803 but what I would really like to know is if instead of using the RGB/S-Video box and invested on the RGB-Component variety using the second component input of the amp would I get a much better picture ???

Sorry if this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything on the search I just did here in the forum.

Cheers,

Pedro

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    You should get a better PQ by converting RGB to component rather than RGB to S-Video. At this stage the signals are being converted and transfered at the best quality that connection offers. S-Video is a lower quality connection than component. Component & RGB are very similar in quality.
    When you plug an S-Video source into the 3803 it is converted, but not improved in any way, so the signal via the S-Video input on the 3803 will reach the PJ at the same quality as the origional S-Video signal and not at the quality of component.
    So in answer to your question, the component converter WOULD give a better PQ over the S-Video.

Mark.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I think I disagree, purely based on the visuals i can "see" on my panny5.

When I plug a S-Video direct to the panny5 the quality is good, but when fed via the 3803 and "up-converted" to component the quality is, to the naked eye, better. A good example is the legendary panny flicker - this virually disappers when I feed my NTL box via composite to the 3803 and it is up-converted to component. I'm sure if I could get my NTL box to go S-Video the flicker would disappear altogher. NTL composite direct to panny5 makes the picture almost unwatchable.

Never used RGB convertors and the like so wouldn't to comment - but converting the converted to the up converter.....

4. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    agree with FF, sky rgb converted to s-video is improved when fed again through my 3803 to component.

that said, do what mark says, and go straight to component.

5. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ... thanks guys :smashin:

Cheers,

Pedro