1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3803 setup questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by McBain, Oct 9, 2003.

1. McBain

McBain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All,

Finally got round to setting all my gear up:

Denon 3803
    6.1 JM Labs Sibs/cub
    S75 DVD
    SKY+
    etc.

Basically, seems to sound ok, but I have a few queries:

1) The subwoofer has a crossover dial on the back. I've done as recommended by Creativ Audio (and as read in these very forums) and set all speakers to small and crossover to 80Hz on the AMP. However, what so I set the dial to on the SUb itself? I'm finding it hard to tell but I dont think much is coming out of the sub.
    2) The sub has a "phase" switch - what does it do and what should I set it to?
    3) I've read on these forums that DPLogic II is good for general listening on SKY. However, when I set the 3803 to output in DPLII, most if not all the sound seems to come out of the front centre. Am I doing something wrong, or should I only use DPLII for programs I know are broadcast in DPL?

Hope someone out there can help me out,

2. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1) and 2) Phase, from what i can tell, allows you to balance the waves of the suib with those of your other speakers. I set mine to the lowest setting and have never noticed any difference. Set the crossover on the sub to it's first mark, and see if there is too much bass coming out for your liking.

I set mine up this way: Set crossover on amp. Put amp on normal listening level. Set crossover on sub to first mark. Put on a good movie. Adjust the level on the amp until I can hear the difference between the general sound and the sub, then take the sub down until it merges. The play with the crossover point until I can hear no cutoff, or it simply sounds "right".

Probably the wrong way to do it as I'm a newbie, but I like it :)

3) All the voice SHOULD be coming out of the centre speaker - this does 95 percent of speech in all modes bar matrix and stereo modes. Leave it on DPLII - if the speech was coming out of everywhere, it;d sound weird dude...

Majik

3. McBain

McBain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the response.

I'm not sure what you mean by first mark" on the crossover dial - it goes from 50Hz to 150 Hz - by first mark do you mean 50Hz?

As for DPLII - I wouldn't mind if it was just the VOICE coming out of the centre channel, but by sound I catually meant ALL the sound - that is you can barely hear anything out of the other speakers - voice or not.

4. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep - 50Hz

Most sound does come out of the centre speaker - just balance everything out. the sound IS in front of you, and the rest of the speakers are effects at the end of the day.

Majik

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Set the crossover on the sub to MAX e.g 150hz in your case. The amp is controlling the cutoff frequency (80hz). If you set it to 50hz then you will be missing out on the frequencies between 50hz and 80hz. You'll need to play around with the Phase switch and see what sounds best to you. One setting may appear to emphasize the upper bass frequencies and the other the lower bass frequencies.

With regards to PLII, doublecheck that you have your Sky box set to STEREO (or Dolby). Some programs maybe a MONO signal and with PLII (or PL) you will get nothing out of any of the speakers apart from the centre.

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Can someone explain how the sub actually works and what it is meant to do (apart from the obivious!)...

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    In what respect?

8. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I suggest you invest in a AVIA setup disk and analogue SPL meter, it will only set you back about £40. It's well worth the investment and allows you to debug and setup your system properley. It also take away some of the black art is setting up your system.

Regards Bigh

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    On Dolby digital and DTS the .1 in 5.1 refers to a low frequency channel. This is what comes out of your sub. Having a dedicated speaker for low frequency effects means you only need one speaker for to handle them for a start, as the human ear is less sensitive to the direction of bass frequencies. This why you only need one speaker (and the bigger the better) usually.

The sub also takes the load off your main speakers. Setting the crossover at 80 or 150, or whatever, means that any frequencies below this are handled only by the sub. So there is less strain on your other speakers and a cleaner sound at the higher frequncies.

Many smaller subs that are found with lifestyle systems don't really add much real low frequency to the mix and are more mid-woofer than sub-woofer. (Your set-up being one of the better exceptions BTW).

The only way to get real floor shaking bass is a bigger sub.

HTH

Chris

10. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Thanks guys I understand things are a bit better now. So i would say to my amp cut off at 80 - everything below is now handled by the sub.