1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3803 digital v analouge

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chris, Apr 18, 2003.

1. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Can anyone tell me if they have noticed a difference, between the digital and analouge connections.......??

Let me try and explain......i have a 656 connected via the digital coax......thought i would try the 6 analouge connections and inbuilt decoder and see if it makes CD's sound any better, so i brought some leads.....£40 for 2x3 phono-phono leads....i connect them up and try it, but the volume is much lower than the digital coax......normal listerning volume for dvd's is 00, but with the analouge leads, it needs to go up to +3 (00 still seems high to me, seeing as i could not turn my old sony 930 past half way for movies and now i'm nearly running the denon to the max...???)...music listerning, used to be around -20 to -18, but with analouge leads, needs to be up around -10 to -05.....is this normal for denon kit.....does denon stuff recive a higher channel level through the digital than the analouge, or maybe the 656 outputs higher channel level via the digital.....??

Is there some sort of prob, or maybe i just need to adjust the channel level on the 656.

When i had the sony 930 and a 626, the volume used to be the same, weather it was analouge or digital.

Does anyone else find they have to run there 3803 quite hard to get any volume out of it, or have i got a dodgy one....??

According to the specks, the denon is supposed to have more watts per channel than the sony was (110 compared to 100) but i can turn the denon right up and still stay in the same room, where the sony was too loud, after only 3/4 volume.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am not sure why you need 6 interconnects to listen to CD, normally 2 should be sufficient. (Though on some players the stereo output will be the same as the front L&R output).

Anyway, you have to expect a difference between the analog and the digital sound, depending on the signal level of the analog output (at the DVD player) and the signal level of the decoder in the AV amp. This might differ, depending on make and model.

Thus I don't think there is any problem as such though you may want to check if you can adjust the gain of each input at the Denon amp.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Possible problems
    Have you set the amp to 6 channel input rather than cd?
    Have you set your dvd player to 5.1 output (page 60)?
    try connecting one pair of interconnects to the two channel output of the dvd player & cd in on the amp.

HTH

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Have you calibrated the levels to 75db using a sound meter? If not "00" is meaningless itself if each channel is at a quiet volume anyway.

regards,
    Rob.

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I thought i would connect it up, just incase i see a DVD-A/SACD i fancy buying and to see what the diff was between the internal decoder in the player, compared to the amp.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    YES
    YES

I will try the stereo connects.
    cheers.

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    No i have not....as i do not own one.....
    I never bothered with the sony.
    But evern if i do get one, the digital would be setup to 75db, but then the analouge will still be lower...
    Unless of course, i can set the channel levels for each input, but i doubt it.

Think i will just alter the channel levels on the player, to make them the same volume as the digi connection.

Maybe i will get the sony back down and see if it happens with that, with the 656.

8. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just too add my 2 pennies worth.

Although you read offen that dvd's cd's etc are all recorded
    at certain levels bla bla bla bla.....

i personally find that i have the volume control set at differin levels quite offen for the same amount of volume output.

for instance , last night i watched 'the doors movie' and i had to
    have the volume level way up, far higher than any other
    dvd ive watched to get a decent volume pumped from the denon.
    (this is digi connection)

it would seem to me that the output levels vary from dvd to dvd
    and all this stuff you hear of them being recorded for 0db etc
    does look nonsense.

Also a further comment, i have the sat digi box connected
    via phono leads to the denon and i have to set the volume level
    far lower than the dvd digi source connection.
    it would seem the digi box puts out a higher ampified signal.

9. tandk_1

tandk_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, my 3803 plays DVD's at about -10 and to get roughly the same volume from music it is about -20.

Also Sky Digibox is at a reasonably high volume at about -30.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The calibration is not nonsense but output levels itself do indeed differ: the Dolby Digital bitstream contains so-called metadata which is seperated from the actual audio, i.e. it's a control signal which does not affect the sound quality as such.

Part of this is the dialogue normalisation (short: dialnorm) which defines how many dBFS (decibels below digital full-scale) the volume (of all channels) is adjusted by the decoder to the reference level. At a level of -31dBFS (usually on DD DVD) no adjustment is made while -27dBFS is actually the standard for motion pictures.
    If the decoder sees a e.g. a value of -31dBFS the decoder will attenuate the volume based on the difference to -27dBFS (i.e. 4dB).

Unfortunately not everyone making a DVD seems to follow this standard and e.g. 'Wild Things' has a dialnorm value of -23dbFS and thus well be less loud (by 8dB).

Dialnorm does not affect the dynamic range and should not change within one program (one film). :lesson:

Depending on the different inputs (digital, analog) or sources (CDP, SAT, DVD etc.) you will indeed face different volume level, hence some amplifiers/receivers allow to adjust the gain for each individual input.

11. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    well i've now found my prob...it seems that the player has a lower output, through the analouge, than the digital output...evern to my TV via the scart.....if i select 5.1 connected, then i have to have the TV volume at around 40, to hear a movie and then if i change it to 5.1 not connected then i can have the volume at around 25, which is the same setting i use to view my other sources (video, sky, terrestial channels, X-box, Gamecube)...stange A....!!!

Dont know if this is a prob with my player, or weather it is normal......anyway, at least i know it is not the amp now....
    so here we go.....up to the dvdplayer forum, to see if its the same as everyone else's.

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As stated in my last sentence this is perfectly normal and not a fault.

13. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've now found out what i was looking for..(should of read the destruction manual earlier).

I was messing around with the settings and noticed that if i had the 5.1 connected with the channel levels fixed, then it was the same volume as the digi output, but if i changed it to channel level variable, then it would be a lot quieter............
    quote from manual:

"The FIX setting is the equivalent to setting all the channel levels to +6db. Therefore, the Variable setting will usually sound quieter than the FIX setting".

The info is always there, if you look.......just should of looked earlier.

This means that the digi output level is set at +6db and will prob mess my settings up when i eventually get a SPL and try setting everything up.