3803 and 4 ohm sats?

chrissampson2

Standard Member
Hi there,

I have just bought a Denon 3803 off the classifieds for £220 (don't reckon I could get a better receiver than that for the money!) and am tempted by the audio pro image 12/22 speakers also listed in the classifieds as my sats/centre. However the 12's are 4 ohm speakers and so far as I can see from the specs the denon is only rated to power 6+ ohm speakers.

I'll only be running a 5.1 setup, and the centre is 8 ohm, so thats 4 sats @ 4ohm and the centre @ 8 ohm. Could this be a problem? I won't be running it stupid loud either, although it'll get cranked up now and again of course!

Thanks,
Chris

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Not a bad price at all :thumbsup:

There should be no problems :)

MIB

I run a set of M&K Xenons 4ohm with no problems at all, the 3803 doesn't get too hot so you should be OK:)

I agree if you don't need HDMI the 3803 is a cracking buy.

MIB

Forgot to say I also ran with K5's for rears (8 ohm) and mixing different impedences doesn't seem to be an issue.

chrissampson2

Standard Member
Thanks guys,

I've ended up going with Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3/1/center with a sub to come when funds allow. They're 8 ohm so no worries there

I'm still with CRT, will soon switch to HD LCD but the only high def connection I'll be running will be DVD>TV so I can run that direct, just taking sound from the DVD to the receiver via coax. Or send the whole lot via component and miss out HDMI altogether :)

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
love my 3803, just a shame it doesnt have the hdmi in for HD audio.....it does have 8 channel in thankfully but i have about 3 devices already wanting to use those plus whenever i get a HD player...lol

and of course the UK got stiffed on the cheaper HD-DVD player with it not having analogue outs :(

fozzit

Been running M&K K Series speakers on my 3803 for a few years now with no problems - spoke to both Denon and M&K techies before I purchased and they both told me the 3803 would handle 4Ohms with no problems - and they were right!!!:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom