1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3802 Vs. 3803?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JIT, Jan 24, 2004.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Are there any 3803 owners who upgraded from the 3802 about?

Was this a worthwhile move or are the differences quite small?

I have a 1803 at the moment but am considering going for either a 3802 or 3803, would the 3802 be an upgrade for me or do i really have to go for the 3803?

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have a look over at AVS forums and I think you will find a few. It seems crazy to me, although in the US I think you get trade-in deals a lot more frequently than over here which makes the move from 3802 to 3803 a little more understandable. To me an upgrade should be a bit more significant than that to be worthwhile.

Depending on your speakers you may find the move from 1 to 3 series worthwhile even with the 3802. Personally I wouldn't bother but by all means demo if you have the chance.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JIT - I have the 1803 and have heard both the 3802 and 3803. The sound quality is basically the same 'type' of sound as the 1803, but better. It's a worthwhile upgrade IMHO - but not at present prices.

If you wait until about May, when the 3803's replacement comes out (3805), the prices of the 3803 will drop to under £500 new.

4. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, i might wait and see what happens or even check the classifieds for a processor/power amp combination.

The Rotel power amps seem good value for money whilst processors seem quite expensive IMO.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you're talking about the RMB-1075 Rotel Poweramp, which, yes, is just astounding value (one went in the classifieds a few days ago for £400!!!).

And I agree with you, the processors seem horribly overpriced (again, Rotel).

6. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, the 1075 that's the one. I don't mind spending the money on this or even the Rotel 2 channel power amp for 7.1 but then another £1000+ for a processor that just seems a bit much for me.

Although i haven't actually heard any seperate processors, are they really that much better than anything a midrange receiver can do?

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few people on these forums have said that mid-range AV receivers actually have better processing than the Rotel 1066.

Were I you I'd pick up a second hand processor such as a Lexicon DC-2, for around £800. Which is far far better than the rotel 1066.

8. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'll keep looking i'm sure something interesting will come up soon enough.