3802 the best?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by planbeta, Jun 26, 2002.

1. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the Denon 3802 the best AV processor around at the £600-£800 price mark, as that's all that seems to get recommended, or are there any alternatives that should be considered?

Cheers.

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are lots of others. Go listen to it along with other amps in the size price class and see what the hype is about. Other good brands are Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Arcam, Rotel, NAD. Some are good at reproducing music, other are less adept at this.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It's certainly one of the leading contenders in that price group, but as garmtz says, there are others worthy of consideration too!

If you shop around, the new Sony STR-VA555ES is available at the upper end of this price group (probably £150 more than a 3802 though), which is arguably the new class leader up to around £800.

The Yamaha RXV1200 is another top contender too, available at around £650ish.
    Most of the others around this price mark, will either not sound as good, or else will be a bit feature light in comparison.

If DTS-ES Discrete doesn't bother you, you could see if HomeCinemaHeaven have any Marantz SR6200s left at £400.
    In terms of "sound for pound" it arguably loses little to any of the above.
    Depends what your priorities are.

4. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been reading reviews of the Sony STR-VA555ES in what hi-fi and home-entertainment and they rate it it very highly. Do you think it's worth the extra £150 over the the 3802?

I'm also considering the onkyo 696 and arcam avr200 - but the 3802 and va555 are top of my list at the minute.

5. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the sony str-va 555es it's great for hi-fi and a/v. i auditioned it against the 3802 and the sony won easily (for me) go listen. the sony is also available for around £730.00. i've seen it at £699.99 in black.

7. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will have to go and give them a listen!

By the way what made you decide to the have the sony over the denon?

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the denons treble is rounded off-the sony was clearer and gave more detail. the sonys build is a lot better than the denon-as it should be for its retail price. sonys remote is good-all conections are gold plated-it has front av inputs, i think you would have to pay a lot more to better the sony-all my opinions of course.

ps the sony is also more flexible i.e. bass management is adjustable on all chanels from 40-200Hz. in 10Hz. increments.

9. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alternetivly, look for a 2nd hand amp with much better specs for the same sort of money. For example, i just bought a Denon A1D for £650. In terms of 5.1 and stereo it's much better.

10. triumphtiger

triumphtiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the Sony str-va 555es.
    But I have been using the 3802 with my Infinity Kappa-speakers for a while, and the sound IS detailed and crystal clear.

As you have probably read everywhere else on this forum, you have to match the amplifier/receiver to what speakers you are going to use.
    Some setups works better than others.

11. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the denon is clear, but it can't reproduce details it doesn't pick up. the sony resolves more detail and reproduces it clearly. i auditioned both back to back with dynaudio audience 42 and mission 77 series speakers but as i said above " go listen":)

12. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a Harman Kardon especially if you want good stereo!

My friend and I recently reviewed a Denon 3802 and found it quite poor against my HK AVR500 (£600) in stereo

Not many people audition HK but in my opinion they are very good

13. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Although £800 does seem excessive for a 5.1 channel receiver with almost no future-proofing, regardless of how good the stereo is.

IMHO

14. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yap. If you wanted good stereo, you could even consider the Nakamichi AV10 for 300 pound from RicherSound(?). I have even heard it driving the Magnaplaner 1.6 electrostatic with good effect.

15. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I demoed the AVR 200 vs 3802 on Saturday and the Arcam wiped the floor with the Denon in stereo! I tried my budget Sony CD player and then an Arcam CD72T and both were vastly superior than on the Denon. With DVD's the 5.1 steering was great for both, but I prefered the dialogue on the Arcam as it was clearer, smoother and less harsh than the Denon. Prologic II on the Arcam watching a rugby match on Sky was also easier on the ears - -Denon was a bit strident.

Sure, the Denon is (more) future-proof, but I can't have 7.1 sound in my living room (the missus says so), so the extra channels aren't for me. Actually I don't think my movies sound too bad with just 2 rears anyway. Also I dislike using all those extra 5.1 surround options you get on the Denon - they just sound weird.

As you can tell, I bought the Arcam and am gutted I had to come to work today instead of staying home and giving it another 12 hours workout - it rained in my neighbourhood this weekend and I didn't care at all!!!! It is the best £800 I spent in the last 5 years!!

16. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobber22 - I totally agree with you When I demoed the Arcan aginst the Denon I thought it was considerably better, however the salesman didn't want to budge fron how good the Denon was even though I thought it very poor in strereo and not as good either with AV.

I thought it was a case of they get the Denon's in cheaply as they probably sell so many that the margins were greater than the Arcam

17. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I cannot agree with you more. I work in a hifi store and work regularly with Marantz, Denon and Arcam and the AVR200 beats even the top models from these two brands with music.

Mind you: the DV88 is also one of the few DVD-players that can give me goosebumps with music. Almost all other DVD-players leave me completely cold...

18. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garmtz,
    Sorry to ask you. I'm also looking for a new amp. Can you get me a discount in the store you work?

Harold

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...

Harold Corbet, Location: Tottenham

garmtz, Location: Netherlands

20. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you might like to check out techronics . VA555ES in gold for £650!!

21. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't forget VAT which bumps it up to £760ish if you live in the UK...

22. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, good point.

23. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Mostly, it's the other way around, Arcam is more profitable for the supplying dealer. The fact that Arcam are better than Denon at controlling prices and availability through mail order is also a major benefit of selling them.
    Unless it's a clearance item, a sales rep will normally favour Arcam over any Japanese products.
    Arcam, Bowers and Wilkins, Denon and Kef and others enjoy protection from RRP legislation, not saying that's good or bad.
    Arcam AV receiver, Arcam DVD and Kef eggs, good money in the till for the dealer, demonstrating the other stuff for people to chase a keen price off the net, is obviously a waste of time.

24. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi all
    I also went for the Arcam AVR200 the main reason was for music stereo before that a yam A2. Even in dvd mode I still found the AVR200 superb, you'll have to have a listen to your top two or three and let your ears decide.

25. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dumb question: You mean because it does not support THX ? I really don't have room for more than 5+1 speakers in my small room anyway, so should I care ?

Like a lot of people, I am trying to decide between 3802, 555 and the AVR200..................

I must say that the AVR200 is BY FAR the classiest looking one ;-)

Thanx,
    BJ

26. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps (but I have to confess to not having heard a 555 yet), then the Arcam is definitely better than the Denon for stereo.

Switch to movies, and it's not quite so clear cut - I think on balance I preferred the Denon (and we are talking 5.1 here, no EX/ES etc) - but I'll be honest and say I could quite easily live with either.

So IMO, it's the Denon's movie prowess and better feature list vs the Arcam's superior stereo performance and still more than adequate movie performance.

Take your pick - if it's a dual system, for movies and music, and 6.1 isn't an issue, then I think the Arcam wins hands down.
    If it's just for movies though, then overall, I'd swing towards the Denon (although I have to say that, 6.1 notwithstanding, that the performance advantage the Denon has for movies, isn't as great as the performance advantage the Arcam enjoys for stereo)

At least that's how I felt about them.

The Sony 555 will have to be significantly better than the Denon to compete with the Arcam for stereo IMO, and not just a shade better.

PS, I didn't buy either in the end (for a variety of reasons) - still waiting for that one piece of kit which does everything superbly well, for under a grand (or am i dreaming)
    Is the 555 it?