1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3802 - Set speakers to large, and use LFE?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gary Lightfoot, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi to the other 3802 owners,

My main front speakers go down to 38hz, and my surrounds go down to 40hz.

I've decided to let the amp send all frequencies to the speakers, and the LFE as well. I've got the crossover at 80hz.

Anyone else doing this? It seems the best idea to me, but maybe someone knows otherwise?

TIA.

Gary.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Which speakers do you have?

Do you have a good subwoofer?

3. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello Gary
    I had a similar post further down but I as understand it, if you have all your speakers set to "large" then you the crossover for your sub isn't really an issue as it'll only be dealing with the 0.1 channel. Having said that I don't think it's an exact science! Play with all the settings i.e. speakers large/small with various crossover settings & see what sounds best to you....& let us know what you find!
    Cheers, Paul.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Thanks for the replies guys.

My front mains are some old Scott 197b speakers with 15" woofers, and go down to 38hz.

My 4 rear surrounds are Accoustic Energy Aegis Ones which go down to 40hz.

The center is a AE Center - 50hz.

I guessed that if I sent all sub 80hz frequencies to my 'sub' (which is actualy 4 bass shakers), then I would be losing out sonically on about 40hz from the speakers.

By setting the speakers to large, am I right in saying that all lower frequencies are sent to the speakers, and by still enabling the sub, that will get all frequencies below 80hz?

I tried setting the rears to small, but due to having bass shakers and no sub, I couldn't really tell any difference, but I've yet to put my rears on stands (doing that today).

Thanks

Gary.

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you set all the speakers to large only the .1 info will go to the sub.

I don´t know what bass shakers are, but if they work like subwoofers, then I would set them to small, so everything under 80 hz would go to the subs...

Thats what I did with my Sonus Faber that go to 40 hz all arround. Then I would listen to CDs on direct mode where the sub is bypassed when I found the sound better this way...

If your bass shakers have high-level input as well as low-level (RCA), you can set the front speakers to large and feed the high-level signal from the amp to the subs too...

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, in that case they probably should only be used for very low frequencies. I would think below 40 hz, as above that you still have a lot of info that should be better played by your speakers set as large...

Do they have an internal crossover ?

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Lowrider,

The bass shakers don't have a cross-over, they're just like ordinary speakers. In fact, when I first tried them, I played Star Trek Generations CD through them (the effects part), and it was surprising just how much sound they could reproduce.

Do you know where I could get an effective crossover box? Maplins maybe?

Cheers.

Gary.

8. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not for me mate. Has to be small all the way round and the sub absorbs all the LFE's.

Regards

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    A bass shaker is like a speaker, and is used like a sub, but instead of a speaker cone, it has just a mass. This mass vibrates like a speaker, but instead of vibrating air and making a sound, it vibrates what it is attached to - my seat frame - and gives the same sensation as having a sub sitting in the chair with you.

They are wired just like speakers, and I have the lfe out from the 3802 going into a splitter which goes into a 60w/c stereo amp. This then powers the bass shakers. In effect my bass shakers are an active sub.

For more info, do a search for Aura Bass Shakers.

Mine are not Aura, but similar.

Cheers.

Gary.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As you don't have a real sub you will be loosing out on the low frequencies of the LFE. Setting the speakers to SMALL will make it worst, missing the bass (sound) from the other speakers, too.
    Setting them to LARGE would however still miss out on the LFE, hence what you need to do is set the bass management to BOTH if there is such an option in your amp (some e.g. Yamaha's do have this option, not sure about your Denon).
    If there is no such option I rekon you get a real sub, too.

BTW: Active cross-overs could be found in car-hifi shops or electronic stores.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Thanks for the info Reiner,

I already have the amp set to 'both' (see my original posts)because that seemed the sensible option - using the speakers to their fullest, and having the LFE to only control the shakers just to give low level rumble.

I may try my sub from my lounge set-up to see if that gives any noticeable improvement.

I'll try my local car shop for a crossover as I would like to restrict the shakers to at least 65hz max.

Cheers.

Gary.

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Well, I tried my PDR10 from the lounge and put it into the loft, and it revealed two things:

1/ There's a 'hole' in the bass - the sub fills it nicely. :)

2/ The extra bass makes the bass shakers seem more 'real'. Must be an association between what you hear and what you expect to feel.

As it happens, only 'The Matrix' (so far)seems to have excessive 'overspill' of bass where it shouldn't be.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a sub, and find the best way to isolate it from the floor - it was shaking the walls a little, and I want to keep the roof tiles on the roof! :)

Gary.