3802 pre outs, speaker options etc.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by greeny, Dec 18, 2001.

1. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just looking at getting a Home cinema setup together. My problem must be one encountered by numerous people so any advice would be appreciated.

I have a pretty good hifi and want to utilise my existing hifi speakers into my Cinema set up. What I was going to do was take the pre-out front left and right into a spare input on my hifi amp, theby using my hifi amp to amplify the front speakers and the AV amp to do: centre, left rear, right rear, centre rear and sub.

1st question: Can the preouts be used for this.

2nd Question: I'd been looking at the Denon 3802 amp. Can you adjust tone controlls individually for the different speaker sets. The reason I ask is that I was thinking of adding 4 kef egg speakers to do the centre, L/R Rear and Centre Rear. And I may need to adjust the centre tone to integrate better with my fronts in this type of setup.

3rd question: my existing front speakers have the -3db point at 30Hz, Is there any point getting a sub??. For example the Sub that comes with the full Kef egg cinema package has -3db point at 38Hz so would be pointless. If I add a sub it will need to go well below 30Hz (a REL perhaps)

Any advice would be appreciated

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Yes
    2. There are only level adjustments for different channels, but if you buy equal speakers, for instance the eggs, you can adjust the front speakers on your amp to match...
    3. Your amp and speakers will have trouble reproducing explosions etc. the subs handle that better. But do get a REL, it will be better for complementing your speakers too...

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is another possible solution for your problem 2.

Cables... actually I have different front speakers now, and they match the surround well thanks to the "brighter" cables on those...

4. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lowrider.

Problem I have is that I have no tone controls on my Hifi amp.

The cable's option is an interesting one, though could prove expensive trying several cables to find one suitable.

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to borrow some, or after you try and identify the difference, brighter or else, ask for others experiences to save you from those expenses... :rolleyes:

I borrowed from my hifi dealer...

Anyway try to find speakers that match yours as much as possible...

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Tone controls may not be sufficient to integrate different speakers, you will need an equalizer; some of which are part of the DSP functions of the AV amp/receiver.
    I also highly recommend to add a sub to any home cinema setup, it can/will make a huge difference.

7. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that I probably will need a sub.

However as my main speakers go down to 30Hz (-3db) what low frequency cutoff should I be aiming for in a sub. As stated before the low frequency -3db point for the Kef subwoofer that comes with the 'egg' package is 38Hz, so this is adding no further extention to my existing fronts, it would probably just reinforce the existing low bass.

If I go for a REL they only seem to quote -6db points (a bit naughty i'd say).

So where would I set the high frequency cut-off on the sub, 'cos if it's only covering the 20-30Hz range it wont be doing a great deal.

8. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another question- for 2802 owners if there are any.

The 2802 has 7.1 pre outputs and 6.1 inputs (providing two rear centre channel outputs I assume, but only amplification for 6 channels and hence one rear centre). Given I will not be using the two main front left and right power amp stages could I:

Take the pre - out for one of the centre rear channels, feed it into the input for the main fron l or R channel and use the output to drive a second rear speaker. Bear in mind I'm already using the front L and R pre-outs to feed to another amplifier.

This would be great if it could be done, but I can't think how the internal switching could work to make it possible.

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The REL (and others, but the REL does it particularly well), has high and low level inputs, you should use the high to complement the front speakers, and you can set the crossover frequency around 30 hz, you will have to listen and find out the better setting. Then you will use the low input to connect to LFE out of the receiver, and set the receiver´s crossover to match you center and surround speakers, probably 80 hz, or more if you get small speakers like the eggs (I recomend a better center to match your front speakers, same brand if possible).

The sub will also get the .1 signal, explosions and so, and therefore save your main speakers and amp of the burden of reproducing that, wich they wont be able to do as well as the sub anyway...

As for the 2802 question, I am not sure, it might disable the amps when you connect something to the pre-outs, try it at the dealer...