3802: music/cinema PLII modes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dk_terror, Jan 30, 2002.

1. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to set my Denon 3802 to play CDs in PLII music mode and watch DVDs in the PLII cinema mode. However when I change one it switches the other. Is it possible to have them both set seperately or do I have to manually change the mode each time, which is a bit of a pain? Cheers.

Dave.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a reason why you want to listen to dvd's in DP/II......... why not D/D

3. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    Why would you want to watch DVD´s in PL2 - Cinema? or have you got a load of discs that have no 5.1?

The Denon will memorise what mode for each input, cd, dvd etc
    but treats PL2 as one mode regardless whether its cinema/music, you still have to manually change it. The same goes for DTS Neo.

4. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry yeah, the D/D 5.1 kicks in automatically for the DVDs, what I meant was I want the cinema mode on as default on the dvd/video channel for TV & video, but have the music mode as default for CDs.

So my question is can you do this..?

5. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I still have to manually change it. Ok, cheers Jase.

6. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont think, so I agree with Jase, The Denon remembers the last DPL II setting you used on any source and uses that.

So if you are watching TV in cinema mode then switch to CD it will use DPlII if you set it up to do this but will be in the last DPLII mode, in this case Cinema.

I think your request is perfectly valid and its a pity you dont seem to program this feature.

However to be a bit contentious I dont actually see why you would want to play most CDs in DPlII mode anyway.

Tried it, didnt like it. If all 5 speakers are the same it might be OK but I have smaller rears so it just sounds a bit crap.

Rog

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listen to CD's in Direct mode...........any other way justs destroys the listening experience...to me anyway.....

8. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I kinda like the way the music fills the room better. I set the field to wide so it doesn't use the centre speaker, the two fronts kick out the same as in stereo but I get a nice subtle effect from behind. I find it quite immersing. :cool:

9. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dk terror

I'm with you on PLII for music sources. IMHO anyone with PLII who is not exploiting the full power of the music mode is missing out on the full potential of their amp. While I accept it doesn't work for all types of music, the ability to manipulate the sound stage provides for many hours of experimentation with your favourite CDs. However, before you start take up Norman's (Sweden) suggestion and read the following excellent article on PLII.

first.http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/dolby-prologic2-3-2001.html.

With regard to switching between music and cinema modes, I agree it's a pity the amp doesn't link mode to source. You may be able to simplify the switching by using the remote's system call facility.

Regards

Epithet

10. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three words: Seven Channel Stereo. Put on Madonna's Immaculate Collection (encoded in Q Sound)...nice !!!!! You won't go back to DPLII again !!!!!

11. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Some music sounds better in pure stereo but some sounds good in surround too. I listened to Ministry Of Sound's latest compilation the other day in dts NEO 6 music mode, and a couple of tunes seemed to just spring to life at the back, as if they had intentionally been encoded in surround.
    It sounded superb.

Mark