1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3802 alternatives?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zone, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Lot of talk re 3802 but are there any decent alternatives of comparable quality and spec, thinking primarily of the Marantz lines SR6200 and 7200, anyone have any experience of these or any other (lets face it) cheaper alernatives?

cheers

Si

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An alternative, but not cheaper is the Onkyo TXDS-696. Retail prices are about the same but I couldn't find the Onkyo cheaper anywhere. Has everything you could want including component switching and great learning remote. I have this in a set-up with KEF Q55.2 front speakers, Q95c centre, Mission M7DS surrounds, Toshiba SD210E DVD player and Arcam CD72. The sound is phenominal and the build quality of the Onkyo is second to none. Just turn the volume dial and you'll see what I mean! I'm told it's slightly more musical in stereo than the Denon as well but I don't think there's very much in it.
    Highly recommended, especially if you don't want to tag along with the rest of the Denon crowd. Have an audition. Your musical tastes might be different from mine.

3. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about the 2802 ?

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or the Onkyo 595, or the Marantz 5200... it´s your money and your ears...

It dependes on your budget, speakers and path to upgrade...

5. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Or in my case dearer alternatives :devil:

I like the sound of the denon AVC-A11SR but it is VERY expensive. By all accounts the 3802 is a nice piece of kit, but it is not THX and it doesnt have the tuner meaning I would have to spend even more money on one of those. Ideally I would like the A11SR but for only £1000 or so!

Stuart

6. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not THX but it does have a tuner.

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Onkyo 797 is THX and has a tunner...

8. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    oops. What I meant to say was that the 3802 has the tuner but no THX, whilst the A11SR is the other way around but around £1000 dearer.

Why cant Denon produce a model in between these two. Say for £1200 RRP

9. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going back to the original question. It depends on what you actually want / need.

I have just ordered the Marantz 5200. I wanted a reasonably priced amp that was good for music and movies and had good functionality. I tested the Yamaha 620, Denon 1802 and Marantz 5200. I liked the Denon and Marantz best. I have a Marantz 4100 DVD and the Marantz had little features like 7 channel input and 6.1 DD/DTS (neither of which I am likely to use).

I could not justify an extra 300+ on a Denon 3802 (plus all the additional quality equipment to go with it).

The Marantz 5200 can be got for ~350. By the way the Marantz 6200 remote is just awful - not just bad like all the other ones people slag off.

At the end of the day only you can decide by listening to them.