1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3801orA10SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jimcarney, Mar 21, 2001.

1. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Iwas going to buy the 3801 but Iwould like the A10SE ,My question is would the A10SE be to powerful for my speakers ?
    Front KEF Q55.2s
    Centre KEF 95C
    Rears MISSION 77DS
    Sub REGA VULCAN. Any help would be appreciated .
    Jim

2. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know anything about your speakers but as the A10SE is a THX model it should have to problem powering them.

I have the A10SE and my center speaker is a Dynaudio which is 4ohms, it drives it no problem.

3. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It is unlikely that an amp can be too powerful for speakers unless they are ridiculously unmatched and you insanely push up the volume regardless of warning signs like clipping and distortion. What's much more likely to be damging is underpowered amps with demanding speakers - all too easy to pop your tweeters. The kefs you have are easy to drive but can handle a lot of power and can only sound better with more amplification.

4. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Dood,
    Jim

5. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have almost the same setup. I have an AVC-A10SE & POA-T10 bi-wired with QED silver anniversay to KEF Q55's and KEF reference model 90 (almost same as Q95). I am using a Pioneer 717 as the source for both music and movies.

It sounds fantastic!!!

I auditioned the 3801 and AVC-A10. The 3801 was superb but when it came to stereo playback there was no competition.

Also, which ever amp you go for you must bi-wire your Q55's. The improvement is unbelievable, they sound like different speakers!

Any Questions, e-mail me.

Ian

6. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, I am using an 1800 at the moment, and the speakers are biwired already ,thanks again for your reply ,hope to the A10SE in about amonths time.
    Jim

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is normally preferable to have an amplifier that is rated higher than the speakers, rather than the other way around.
    Reason:

If you drive your speakers with too much power, the distortion this creates is very audible and you will almost certainly want to turn it down......very quickly.

I can't speak for the A10SE, but I have the Denon 3801, and a magnificent receiver it most certainly is. Excellent value.

If you have a low-powered amplifier (and high-rated speakers) and you over-drive your amplifier, the distortion created will be much more subtle, and you may only realise it's happening after some time. Rather than sounding obviously wrong, it's more a case of being tiring on the ears.

In the meantime, the low-powered amp, as it distorts, is creating very high levels of largely inaudible high-frequency sound which can kill your tweeters without your knowing it's happening (until it does...)

[This message has been edited by nigel (edited 23-03-2001).]