3801 & Widesreen DSP

T

Tony McG

Do any 3801 owners use the Widescreen DSP mode when listening to Pro-Logic sources?

From what Denon say Widesreen DSP is designed to give 7.1 from Pro-Logic.

I haven't tried it so just wondered what other peoples opinions are.

Tony,
Haven't tried the widescreen mode yet myself, but have tried the neo-6 mode .
Have you tried it and what did you think?

Well, I've had the Denon for about 4 months now (I think, but I can't add on a friday afternoon), and I usually hate any sort of field processing... Until now ! Denon have made a great job of NEO 6 and 5/7 Ch Stereo ! These are the only ones I use, but I like them a lot
smile.gif
Other than that... I only use Direct and Auto DD/DTS.

Have a nice Weekend

------------------
An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

[This message has been edited by Mad Max (edited 30-03-2001).]

Although I don't have the 3801, I do have another DENON model with all the sound options you are discussing. No need to guess which.

IMHO the widescreen mode does noticeably use the rear back channels, though the surround effect is much less noticeable. It is controlled and less muddled than other DSP effects I have heard. You can of course vary the effect level to adjust its impact.

The DTS Neo-6 algorithms are actually very impressive. I have used them to turn semi-DPL (slightly phase shifted stereo) eighties horror movies into 360 degree soundfields that literally make you jump out of your skin. Dialogue tends to bleed slightly to rear channels however, created a circular soundfield with most dialogue to the centre but also wraparound to the sides.

5/7 ch stereo also works well with old movies, in many cases it is preferable to other DSP modes for mono-movies for the real cinema effect but without the excessive "effect" reverberation.

Thanks all.

I was interested in your Widescreen comments because you can't use Neo6C with a matrixed source (Pro Logic from DVD via coax)

I can use NeoC from my video and TV because they are connected with analogue (stereo) interconnects.

I thought I had a problem not being able to select Neo6C when I was getting a Pro Logic signal from my DVD - until I read my manual more carefully. Neo6C is only available for stereo sources.

Tony McG

Interesting.

I have an AVC-A1SE (like Matty N) and I have set up to switch to dts NEO:Cinema when it detects 2 channel digital source and auto switch to Dolby 5.1 (or 6.1) or dts 5.1 (or 6.1) when it detects them on coaxial input. Doesn't the 3801 allow you to do this?

Mark

Hi Mark

on the 3801 it seems that you can only select auto when it's a digital source, for analogue sources it's all manual.

Like you suggest it does the same as the A1SE in that it remembers the last setting for a particular input signal.

I have the 3801 and find the Neo 6 setting pretty good. To use it on pro logic DVD's, connect the analogue out from your DVD player into a spare set of phono's on the 3801 (VCR 2 for example) and use that input to watch pro logic DVD's. You will find that you can then select Neo 6 as there will be no digital signal input to the Amp on the selected output. Remember not to assign any digital input to the input that you use. ENJOY!!

Tony McG

I have 4 inputs – CD (Optical 1), DVD (Coax 1), DBS (Coax 2) and Video (Analogue phono connectors).
Video, DBS and DVD are set to dts NEO:6. (even the analogue video.)
When Dolby Digital or dts Surround is detected on the DVD coax 1, it switches to DD 5.1 or dts 5.1.
CD is in direct mode.

According to the American 3801 manual (P.55), you should be able to do the same. Try selecting dts NEO:6 while playing an analogue source with the "SELECT knob".

The following is a quote from the manual:
NOTE:
• When playing PCM digital signals or analog signals in the DOLBY PRO LOGIC, DTS NEO:6 modes and the input signal switches to a digital signal encoded in Dolby Digital, the Dolby surround mode switches automatically. When the input signal switches to a DTS signal, the mode automatically switches to DTS surround.

you should be able to set your 3801 up the same as my AVC-A1SE - or am i missing something???

Mark.

I have the AVR3801 as well. To use Neo 6 with a digital siganl. I change the digital output of my dvd to pcm (its a panny a360) this works just fine.Or i use the analog inputs, either way its sounds great. :D

Just to add to the above , i forgot to mention that this was on the Star wars silver dvds i havent tried it with official discs as yet, maybe the flagging will be different.

cheers
jase :eek:

This is a reply to HugoFJH who mailed me about the star wars silver dvds.

Edited by Moderator to remove Piracy Links

Hope this helps
cheers
jase :)

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Jenz ]

oops!!!
Didnt realise we were´nt supposed to mention dvd silvers!!

Or post replies here!!

Sorry
jase :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom