37X3030, PS3 & YSP 900.... help & advice ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mofomaxx, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Mofomaxx

Mofomaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1st post on this forum though i have been reading it for a few weeks to help with the decision on my initial purchases :smashin: So, my Toshiba 37X3030DB arrived today & my PS3 is due to land tomorrow so now i'd like a little advice on the sound system.....

Basically the only input to the 37X3030 will be the PS3, playing games (obviously) & watching DVD's & Blu Ray when i get round to buying a couple, im sure the missus will occasionally watch the soaps on it too & im sure the built in freeview will get an airing now & again, but essentially since i have Sky+ & a DVD recorded running on a 28" wide/flat Sony CRT in the other room, this setup will be staying with PS3 only input.....

I particularly like the Yamaha YSP 900 due to its "wife friendly" arrangement, (what DO they have against ruining the fancy wallpaper with a million wires & speakers ? :nono:) and its in my budget, the room in question is 15' square, unfortunately due to window & fireplace the TV is almost in a corner but there's nowt i can do about that.... so my real questions are these:

What will be the best way of hooking up the YSP to the TV/PS3 ? I'm a "noob" to this & am unsure if the sound should go via TV, PS3 or both ?

Does the official Yamaha stand for the YSP help the audio in anyway ? obviously it looks nice & is a perfect fit but its a bit pricey at £300, if i were to go for an alternative stand, what should the YSP be mounted on ? i.e. wooden shelf/glass shelf, etc...

What's the cheapest subwoofer i can use with the YSP ? i know you get what you pay for, but having just shelled out a grand on the TV & PS3 i'll have to ad it later & even then it'll have to be cheap....

Lastly, is there any other hassle-free alternatives in a similar price range that i should consider for my setup ?

Thanks in advance for any help, i look forward to your recomendations :thumbsup:

Andy

2. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    If you've haven't already bought the 900 then you should really wait for the 3000 which is out next month, since it has HDMI passthrough and a slew of other features.

With the 900, you'll have to connect the PS3 to the TV via HDMI, then run an optical cable from the PS3 to the 900. As for regular TV, you'll have to run standard red/whites either direct from the Skybox or your TV into the 900.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/D...mpare.y=9&comp_items=556968&comp_items=556970

3. Mofomaxx

Mofomaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, but i suspect the 3000 will go over my budget, im only looking at the 900 as it can be had for less than £450.... cant see the 3000 being discounted at all with it being a brand new model..... also the wiring setup you sugest seems perfectly OK to me, the beauty of the YSP being mounted right under the TV i guess, i dont mind having to run lots of for/aft cables from TV/PS3/YSP since there all so close & wiring will be hiden.... as long as im getting quality sound once its done :smashin:

Any clue on the TV stand issue ?

4. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Np mate, re: stand, I don't think it matters to be honest. The YSP vents are located on the back, so as long as the back is left open then you'll be fine heating-wise.

One advantage the official stand has is the exact fit of the shelf, meaning you don't lose any space below. But as long as you get something with adjustable shelf height then you should be fine :thumbsup:

5. Mofomaxx

Mofomaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Righto mate, so theres no bother with housing it on a glass shelf then ? from an audio quality point of view ?

One other thing, on the 3000, would the HDMI through ports mean simply running PS3 to YSP with HDMI, then on to TV via HDMI also ? just essentially one cable through the whole setup ?

6. Mofomaxx

Mofomaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for dragging this up again :oops:

But having seen the price of the new YSP 30D & it's list of features that i dont need, combined with the price of the YSP 900 (£350 ish now) i need to know the answer here sharpish as i wanna buy a 900 if it does fit the bill before stocks run out.....

So..... as above...... Toshiba 37X3030DB/PS3/YSP900....... PS3 to 37X3030 is HDMI connected already, so to get the best sound possible out of the PS3 & built-in Freeview on 37X3030 i'll need to run an additional optical cable from PS3 to YSP & an additional set of wires from audio out on the 37X3030 to YSP ?

If anyone could point me in the direction of "exactly" what i should be ordering & if this setup is going to fully exploit the PS3's surround sound i'd much appreciate it !

Cheers,
    Andy