37WLT58 v 32PF9830

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Peritas, Oct 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just come back from my local TV shop. I originally went to buy a 32PF9830, but was drawn to the 37WLT58, I'd never even heard of this set and can't see any reviews on it.

Is it worth getting over the Phillips? I was drawn to its a bigger picture, the stand and has 2 HDMI connectors.

But I'm guessing the 32PF9830 has a better picture?

Any advise would be nice, cause I left the shop without any tele. :(

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    I wouldn't assume the 9830 has a better picture just because its more expensive. Possibly it might look better to you, but I think many of the premium sets are pretty close these days. Maybe they vary in terms of how well they clean up current SD TV - my philips was always pretty good at that with pixel plus

I'd go and try and see both in action with good sources - take along a favourite DVD. Also try one with THX optimiser on it and see if they'll let you have a little tweak of each set, just to get a slightly more level playing field.

3. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. The main reason I'm interested in the 9830 is becaue of the What Hi-Fi TV on the year award, that write up makes it sound like the perfect set lol.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    there isn't such a thing as a perfect set unfortunately

the 9830 does appear to be a very very good one.

For me it was simply too big. And as most sets seem pretty close these days (at least the ones I was considering), that was enough to rule it out.

2xHDMI was the killer blow for me on the Toshiba I finally bought. Just enough for SkyHD and PS3/bluray. and no need for an expensive switcher (although I will need a component switcher)

5. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you got the 37"? and you sound happy.

I think the Tosh will just sit better in my room with the intergrated stand. I pushing the size of the screen with my room not being that big. If I'm lucky and if the set fits in the right corner I can get nearly 3 Metres away from it...

Every one else in the family will have ti suffer lol.