37WLT58 - daft question?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by PEG26, Nov 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. PEG26

PEG26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been following various threads on this forum and have pretty much decided to go the Toshiba 37WLT58 route.

I do have a non technical requirement however and that is I must be able to move the screen with support across the floor maybe a foot or so. So I hope some one can answer the questions 'Can the the Tosh on its floor stand be easily slid across a carpeted floor'?

It will be situated in front of patio doors and the central viewing position obcures the entrance so the ability to move it this distance is essential. I could go the separate stand on casters route but as I can move my present hefty 28'' CRT, which must weigh twice the 37'' LCD, my thinking is that I should be able to do the same with the flat base on the Tosh stand.

Anyone know or could do the experiment for me?

Many thanks
    Peter

2. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Be careful, direct sunlight could cause over heating and fade the colour of the plastic case. In extreme cases cause warping of the plastic that the TV case is made of. :nono:

(Not saying it will, but it could!)

3. PEG26

PEG26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ase100

The patio faces north/east so very little direct sunlight and its not been a problem with the CRT - but I take your point.

Peter

4. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just picked my 37WTL58 this afternoon and will be assembling the stand myself tonight. I will let you know tomorrow if it's suitable to take casters or similar.
    :smashin:

5. PEG26

PEG26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ase001

I'm hoping the flat bottom surface of the stand might simply slide over a carpet without casters.

Peter

6. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well i've got the 32" model and it slides extremely well over the carpet,but not sure how much more weight the 37" tv and stand will add to over mine.

Hope that helps Blue

7. PEG26

PEG26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Blue

Thanks for the info and just what I wanted to hear. Sounds as though I shall be able to do what I want.

Cheers
    Peter

8. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Assembled my 37" stand last night, the base is a type of MDF and slides quite easily on carpet. But the depth of the base doesn’t make it topple proof, so watch the kids if you have any.

9. PEG26

PEG26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ase

Is the set all you expected? This is top of my list at present and I hope to get to JL Reading next monday for a demo.

Peter

10. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    At first I was very disappointed. I’ve read that LCD’s can take a few days before they stabilise and produce a good picture. I never gave them any credibility before and thought them silly. Well after about an hour or so the picture went from poor to gob smacking fantastic. I watched Star Wars last night on DTV ITV1 and it was crystal clear (almost DVD PQ), I was well impressed. I think I can improve things further by adjusting the settings, but that’s going to take a bit of trial and error. What can throw you with PQ is that some programmes are transmitted in low resolution (VHS video resolution or less) or are have poor PQ. Best example of this is ITV3 ‘The Sweeny’, watch the programme and it appears poor. Wait for the advert break, PQ dramatically improves 100 fold for the adverts. This change in PQ is very apparent on a 37” screen and is possibly true for all large screens.

I also got the Toshiba SD350E DVD player at the same time and connected it through HDMI port 1, the jury is out on this at the moment. Picture was a bit grainy but based on the comments in this forum it’s possibly either my setup or the cheap HDMI cable I’m using!

So far, it has exceeded all my expectation and I’m well pleased. Can’t wait to get home and have a play and finish setting it up.
    :clap: