1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37WL56 LCD My Package to be!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ase001, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm planning to make a purchase and my budget is about £1800. This is my shopping list, any thoughts or advice on my selection?

Toshiba 37WL56 LCD TV including Stand
    Toshiba SD350E Up-scaling DVD player
    Philips Freeview box (not sure of model but expect it’s a pretty basic one).
    This little bit comes to £1650 delivered and fitted next week.

And also I going to get from another source a
    Yamaha RXV357SI & Yamaha NS-P110 Speakers
    This bit comes to £160, delivery not sure as they are awaiting stock.

I now there are compromises here but here is my reason for my choices

Firstly the TV

1. 37WL56 has quite a lot of favourable reviews and is well spec’d
    2. 37WL56 doesn’t have an integrated Freeview, well I decided after long though that Freeview is going to change over the next two years with the BBC possibly transmitting HD signals late 2006 to mid 2007. So my conclusion is that integrated Freeview will not be able to take advantage of these changes so why pay extra for something that you will replace!
    3. Normal Seating position is 3-4m away, so I need at 37” screen.
    4. It’s the only one I’ve seen on my rounds that constantly (shop to shop) gives a good standard TV Picture.
    5. Styling, I personal think is fairly traditional and hopefully won’t age.
    6. It’s within budget

The DVD Player

1. It up-scales standard DVD to 720p through HDMI.
    2. Plays Divx/MPEG4 as well as the usual formats.
    3. Looks nice.
    4. It’s a good Price

The Freeview Box

1. The price, well it’s free.
    2. It does the job and I can then save my pennies for HD Freeview box in couple of years.

The Yamaha RXV35SI (AV amp) + NS-P110 (Speakers)

1. It had to be around £150 pounds.
    2. I didn’t want an integrated DVD.
    3. The spec meets 90% of my needs 99% of the time.
    4. HDTV 720p/1080i compatible.
    5. Sound Quality, it’s got to be a dramatic improvement over what I have, an ADSA DVD player and two sets of PC £10 speakers. I'm not HiFi buff so as long as it's reasonable I will be happy.

Well there you have it; the Credit card is out tomorrow providing I don’t get too many serious negatives to this thread. I will also let you how I get on ii I get some responses asking me! My current TV is 28" CRT Panny approx 14 years old and will be ahard act to follow.

The only down side to this package is that it doesn't come with an anti soap (East Enders etc) and anti reality drama (get me out the juggle thingy) TV filters. :smashin:

2. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Personally I would wait a few weeks for the WLT 58 series which will have an integrated Freeview tuner. I have heard a few posts on this forum concerning the fact that an integrated Freeview box becoming defunct once BBC start Hi Def. Concerned about this I emailed both the BBC and Panasonic. The BBC responded by stating that they have no plans to transmit in Hi Def until the analogue signal is switched off 2010 to 2012 and they also see no reason for an integrated Freeview tuner becoming obsolete by Hi Def transmissions - their words not mine. Panasonic have responded today and in the same vane i.e. their t.v.'s are future proofed to take account of terrestrial Hi Def transmissions. Why would you want the stand with the Toshiba? quite frankly it is hideous in my opinion Toshiba should be reported to the "bad design" Police.

3. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I have decided to change my mind again, I eventually got the other half to go and have a look at some TV's in Currys. Guess what she didn't like the Colour of the 37WL56, It has to be black like the LG screens. She's isn’t interest in the Picture quality just how it looks. So I started to look again, I don’t fancy the LG as a friends on his 3rd set in as many months. So that left the JVC 37DS6, nice but didn’t do much for me in terms of Picture (I did comparison with the Tosh) same set up been driven by DVD up-scaling DVD player. Can’t tell you why, as I couldn’t see any issues or faults on either. Just preferred the Tosh display, it’s was easier on the eye (It may be that the SD350E suits the 37WL56 better?). That’s when the salesman offered me a 37WLT58 at good price although delivery date could not be confirmed but they had place an order and they expected them in 3-4weeks. The 37WLT56 appears to be silver with a black fascias, could any one confirm this, not that it will stop me from ordering one (PQ vs price is more of concern to me than colour).

So my shopping list has changed slightly from 37WL56 to a 37WLT58K and I’ve crossed off the Freeview receiver and I’m still in budget of £1800 (well £1831.25).
    That includes delivery and installation of TV + DVD, the Yam kit is from another supplier.

Still would like some feedback, probably will order tomorrow anyway fed up with researching. :boring: Also Xmas is fast approaching and the money will be spent elsewhere if I’m not careful, also I don’t think the price will be as flexible nearer to either :devil:

If anyone has any experience of cabling or can recommend the best way to connect everything I would be most grateful or even cable suppliers? My budget is approx £50 for cables. The manuals (in pdf) are available on their associated sites. Also I will be connecting a JVC HiFi Nicam VCR to the TV.

Cheers

4. luke_1983uk

luke_1983uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    If the salesman offered you a good deal at a good price on the 37WLT58 i would put down your deposit for this set as i already know this set is going to be very hard to find on day of release. the place i ordered my set with said they are in high demand, so they cant be that bad!
    looking forward to mine been told i should have by the weekend (32WLT58)

5. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that, can let me know how and what you are connecting (I don't have SKY by the way)? What I'm interested in is do I connect the
    DVD (HDMI) to AV then AV (composite) to TV or do I do
    DVD (HDMI) to TV and DVD (digital) to AV?

Also can you confirm the colour please?

6. clifford62

clifford62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know ase001 when you get yours and where you get it from cos I want one.

7. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK, I will tell you tomorrow after my order has been confirm :smashin:

8. gareth78

gareth78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have preordered the 37wlt58 and been told they are expecting delivery end of September, can't wait!

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I can never understand anyone purchasing anything sight unseen. One wouldn't buy a new car without a test drive, so why purchase a t.v.? I also cannot understand the poor audition you had with the JVC as this set gets rave reviews, and whenever I have seen one running I had to agree with the the reviews, just a pit pricey though.

10. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, if it's only as good as the 37wl56 then I will be happy. Also I'm fed up with searching and researching, I want it for Xmas and it fits the budget and meets my spec. As I said I couldn't fault the JVC I just preferred the Tosh, it maybe that the Tosh worked better with the Tosh DVD player. The guy in the shop setup the connection between the DVD and TV's and may have used different leads. Also I've found it very hard to get a good demo of any apart from these two so even if I wait I don't know if I can see one working in a perfect environment. The norm is go to Currys or Comet for demo's and you know how crap they are!

11. clifford62

clifford62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is everybody getting theirs from?

12. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try Martin Dawes, ordered mine from my local shop. Got a good deal, better than any I could find on the WEB and they include delivery and installation. They have 160 on order and they told me today 10-14 days, but I don't mind waiting 3-4 weeks as long as I get it for Xmas.

The AV amp is coming from www.Empiredirect.co.uk and costs £161.74 including speakers and delivery.

I have noticed a problem with my package thought, the Tosh DVD has Digital Coax out and the AV amp is optical. So I am looking to use a converter from Maplin pt num L73BA at £14.99, doesn’t worry me using this as the signal is digital so no distortion should be introduced (It’s just added more to the spend).

13. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Has anyone seen the new 58 series yet? Please tell me it's not that same gold gun metal colour - this set has a nice design but that colour arggh!

14. Abaddonn

Abaddonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Faust:

Here's some pics of the WL58 LCDs:

Attached Files:

15. gareth78

gareth78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ordered mine from TV & Video Direct.

16. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Has your 32WLT58 arrived, what sources can you try?

Ideally I would like feedback on each of the following :lease: :-

PC via VGA
    PC via DVI (HDMI adapter)
    Component (interlaced / progressive)
    HD Component (XBox / PS2 / Upscaling DVD Player)
    HDMI (Upscaling DVD Player or HD Satelite)
    DVI Video (HDMI adapter) with upscaling DVD Player or Other HD Video source
    RGB Scart (Sky / DVD / etc)
    Intergal Freeview Tuner

I appreciate you probably do not have all of this kit, but there is no harm in asking :D .

Oh yeah does it have a blue light!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

17. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My kit is due in two to three weeks, as soon as it comes I will try as many of the options as pos. Next time I post I will start a new 32-37WLT58 thread or use an existing one. This thread is now abit miss leading as it is more about the WLT58 than the WL56. :hiya:

18. luke_1983uk

luke_1983uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    didnt get mine this weekend (Gutted) but i just phoned toshiba and they
    said the wlt will definantly be out next week or the week after, then i went to the store i bought the 32wlt58 from and they said i should get it this week also they have loads of the set preordered.
    ase001 good idea with the new thread i will try and help too.

19. chowyunfatt

chowyunfatt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Luke 1983uk i noticed that you was thinking about this tv on another thred and you said that your local shop had them in, Did you get chance to view it.

20. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I made my decision based on the 37WL56 which is a cracking set and had favourable reviews. The 32WL48 was also a cracker of a TV so fingers crossed this should be good too. Not scientific I know but some times you have to just do it. With Xmas coming up and budgetary pressures I needed to spend the money or lose it to a new kitchen. I'm glad the other half doesn't read these threads :rolleyes:

21. luke_1983uk

luke_1983uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    chowyunfatt the store never got them in he said that they were being exported to there factory and today they said this week they will be getting them i will let you know asap when i first see it