37PX70 vs 42PX70 resolutions

bjshipway

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i was hoping for some guidance on the Panasonic Viera Plasma models.

I am looking at the 37PX70 and have opne price matched from John Lewis for £569 - bargain!

However, I know that the two model are different resolutions (the 37" being 720 x 1024 and the 42" being 768 x 1024).

My questrions is what affect does this have on the quality/picture/anything? Surely the different resolution has an impact on the image as the ratio is different. Should I push me more towards one over the other?

I'm aiming for a 37" but would buy the 42" if there was a good reason too other than the size.

Thanks

Ben

Well 720p is the new broadcast in the UK coming soon.. (Dont ask me when, I assume its this year)... This is really 768x1024.... So a set with 720x1024 (the 37") will have some picture cut off.. Dont be alarmed though 24 pixels either side wont even be that noticable. Half the size of you little finger nail... Around 5mm top and bottom.

Rather than cutting the picture off wouldnt the TV do reprocess the image to fit the visible screen ?

I am looking at the 37PX70 and have opne price matched from John Lewis for £569 - bargain!

Hi bjshipway,
I'm after the 37 - which store has done the PM and to who? I'm trying to get my local store to do the same

Thanks

Moppit

Empire Direct currently have them in stock in their leeds store for £569 - John Lewis will price match them.

Have you had any concerns over the difference in resolutions?

Thanks
Ben

Empire Direct currently have them in stock in their leeds store for £569 - John Lewis will price match them.

Do you know if JL price match nationally? or just with local stores? My nearest JL is Welwyn in North Hertfordshire and I am also after the TH37PX70.

My John Lewis store is in Bristol and they price matched the screen from Empire Direct in Leeds so I guess it must be national

Hello everyone, i was hoping for some guidance on the Panasonic Viera Plasma models.

However, I know that the two model are different resolutions (the 37" being 720 x 1024 and the 42" being 768 x 1024).

My questrions is what affect does this have on the quality/picture/anything? Surely the different resolution has an impact on the image as the ratio is different. Should I push me more towards one over the other?

I'm aiming for a 37" but would buy the 42" if there was a good reason too other than the size.

Thanks

Ben

The extra 48 vertical pixels wont make a blind bit of difference to the quality of the picture - 48 pixels is nothing. The TV`s internal scaler will make the adjustments without you even knowing about it. Just pick the TV that best meets your needs and enjoy. :hiya:

Thanks. Re Empire Direct is the store in Leeds:
1) is it the one on their web site at http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/edxtra/features/stores/leeds.htm i.e. in Roundhay Road
2) does the number given (0870 120 1130) go direct to that store? or do you have an alternative geographic number

yes thats the store however the number is 01132 351701

Have a look under the Plasma forum on this site and search for John lewis price match - there's a whole thread dedicated to which stores they will match with.

Thanks
Ben

Due to the 37px70 having 720lines of vetical resolution you could argue it will handle 720p HD better as no vertical rescaling will be required as its an exact pixel match vertically, so should get a slightly sharper picture due to less scaling.

Also the human eyes is suppose to be more sensitive to changes in the verticle resolution rather than horizontal.

yes thats the store however the number is 01132 351701

Have a look under the Plasma forum on this site and search for John lewis price match - there's a whole thread dedicated to which stores they will match with.

Thanks
Ben

Thanks again; I already have a post in the JL price match thread - but nothing specifically on my local branch yet. I think I may ring the JL branch and ask them about it.

I rang my local JL branch after calling Empire Direct at Leeds to confirm the 37PX70 was in stock, and they took my details to match the price - no quibble about it not being nearby. The JL guy said their price was £669, £100 more than ED.

Now waiting for a call back to hear whether they will match the price, although I guess they will add in the £30 ED delivery.

I rang my local JL branch after calling Empire Direct at Leeds to confirm the 37PX70 was in stock, and they took my details to match the price - no quibble about it not being nearby. The JL guy said their price was £669, £100 more than ED.

Now waiting for a call back to hear whether they will match the price, although I guess they will add in the £30 ED delivery.

yep - but you would have had to have paid that at ED anyway - much better to get it from John Lewis with no quibble service and 5 year guarantee

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom