37PX60 aspect ratio changing

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by matJ, Jan 1, 2007.

1. matJ

matJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Recieved this great new TV a few days ago, but have already picked up on an annoyance, the aspect ratio function is not working properly. Example CSI:vegas on LivingTV, Auto aspect will frequently change between full screen and black bar view throughout the same programme. View with black bars looks squashed. Auto aspect is suppose to fill the screen at all times isnt it!! Selecting 16:9 aspect ratio for this example will retain the black bars and the squashed image. If the programme is broadcast in 16:9 and the TV screen is 16:9 then why the black bars. My 26" sony bravia LCD didnt have this problem!! Advice on this would be much appreciated otherwise im sending it back as the constant aspect change is going to anoy me.
    Thanks!

2. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Word of advice: Ditch the auto aspect mode

I find these insanely annoying on any television. Your display should automatically detect actual 16:9 transmissions if you're hooked up with a proper SCART lead anyway, and switch the ratio accordingly, but for anything else you should select a specific mode you're comfortable with (I prefer 4:3) and leave it on that.

3. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yep, totally agree with DJMike, avoid using the Auto mode.

Mine is permanently kept in "16:9" mode and it then auto switches to "WIDE" mode whenever I play an anamorphic DVD or if it receives a widescreen broadcast on Freeview.

HTH

4. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference between 16:9 and "Wide".

I've noticed that "Wide" comes up sometimes, but that it isnt one of the options that you can select manually.

5. matJ

matJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your assistance, however the problem still exists when in 16:9 mode. I get black bars and a squashed image, when selecting auto aspect the TV will then fill the screen correctly but will frequently alternate back to the squashed image (as shown by 16:9 mode) with black bars.

This problem ONLY occurs on some of the less popular sky channels that i presume dont transmit a Wide Screen Signal (WSS) i.e no "wide" mode stated by TV...I presume in this case the TV has to figure out how to show it best by analysing the signal as the change takes a few seconds. the problem occuring is that it will then change back randomly throughout a programme between with and without bars.

Now ive done some research on the 37" version of this TV and its screen resolution in the vertical is 720 pixels high where my sony LCD which doesent have the problem is 768 pixels high! Is this effecting the picture output on screen do you think?

wow...that was a long-winded description! thanks for reading. :)

6. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent had the same problem.

You do have your Sky/ntl box set to 16:9, don't you?

Some of the older ntl boxes occasionally need to be reset. ie change it to 4:3 for a minute, and then back to 16:9.

7. robin78

robin78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Wide is displayed as the signal from Freeview or Scart is flagged as being 16:9. The set then switch automaticly to 16:9 aspect.

So "wide" is 16:9 set automaticly and give the same results as the 16:9 option set manually.

8. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see. Thanks.

9. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,687
    Come-on guys. This ain't a problem and it's working as said in the manual. May be it's not living up to your satisfaction. I think the latetst LG LCD or Plasma features the maximum number of aspect ratio settings.

10. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    In my experience, if the Sky box is set to output 16:9 then it always sends a 16:9 signal down the SCART lead.

11. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That seems probable.

But they won't all be displayed at 16:9 by the auto aspect.

Eg
    @ 16:9, Question of Sport on UKTV G2 has bars at the top & bottom. On auto, these bars (& the top half of the channel ident) disappear.

Even more noticeably, on the music channels, if the video is shown with thick black bars top and bottom, then those bars are (often) eliminated in auto, even when they contain th channel logo, and other details such as phone number, etc.

For me, this feature of auto (ie automatically removing the bars) is a good one. But as as been said, it is easily avoided by not using auto. I think the problems with jumping from one auto setting to another only happen either if the STB is set to Letterbox, or during advert breaks, or on a music channel.

12. matJ

matJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi farnworthless your exactly right with the UKTV G2 question of sport example in 16:9 mode (this occurs on many other channels too in 16:9 mode), but the image i get between the two small black bars is a slightly squashed image, this is true for my sony and panasonic TV. Your correct again in saying that auto is good in fixing this as it fills the screen to how it should be and the image looks like it should.
    My original issue is that the TV will anoyingly keep switching between 16:9 and auto while watching a programme and i have no control over it and dont want the 16:9 view as its squashed with small black bars.

Come on guys this is a problem, its not doing what it says in the manual. ;)

13. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It shouldnt switch from 16:9 to auto by itself.

If you have checked the connections, and perhaps tried a different SCART lead, then I guess it's a fault.

14. Sally73

Sally73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MatJ

Did you ever find a solution to your Panasonic Auto Aspect switching to 16:9 randomly problem? I'm having the exact same problem with my Panasonic 26LXD60.

Thanks,
    Sally