1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37PV500 with Test pattern

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leeboy22001, Jun 7, 2005.

1. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi all,

Some may or may not find this interesting but i've just been doing some tests with my 37PV500. I used a Snell & Wilcox TPG21 with test pattern PAL/625 SW2, which is one of the best test patterns to test a TV with, especially its composite decoder, and scaling.

I tested both YPrPb and composite input(front panel) of the PV500 with PAL/625 interlaced input.

Well, the composite input was superb! the decoding quality was one of the best i've seen, simply brilliant, with no hanging dots, excellent frequency response horizontally and vertically and no ghosting of text. The zone plate disk when static was excellent, even during horizontal and vertical motion the zone plate was being decoded well. Chroma bandwidth was also superb, as you can see 1.5MHz chroma sweep (sweep just under wilcox) was all there to be seen, clean as a whistle with very good luma/chroma seperation.

As you can see from the photo the test picture was scaled to fit the screen, but the pv500 had no problems in the scaling department. no jagged edges, and the diagonal lines and the circle are perfect!

The component input was as good as the composite input, except during zone plate movement the picture was much better as expected.

I also tried 100% ramp to test linearity and the plasmas ability to display colour gradients, and it didn't fail to my eyes in that department, so no solarisation or visable quantization.

Hope you find the photo interesting! :smashin: the picture has been compressed quite a bit to allow me to upload it, if anyone is interested in the full picture (700k in size) then let me know :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what aspect were you using? looks like normal panny over scan..............

3. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    hornydragon, input source was 4:3 and test pattern uses all active picture region, and from what you pointed out there was alot of overscan both vertically and horizontally when in 16:9 mode (4:3 strectched), and when panny was set to 4:3 aspect there was still alot of overscan! i can't see a reason why tv manufactures do this, as you loose about 10 lines or so, and about the same in pixels, i'll work it out when i'm at work today :rolleyes:

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    Would ISF sort out overscan?

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    Can you not set the PV500 up so it remembers size adjustments for each frequency/input?

It is nice to have the overscan reduced for tv/dvd, but then the image is too small for gaming which is a pain.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the PE30 are real PIGS to sort the overscan........I can only guess at how complex the PV500 will be, but an ISF tech should be able to sort it out as part of the calibration...